56 replies to this topic

#46 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts
  • Local time: 01:09 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:41 AM

well... with all the praises heaped upon this little oven i had to try one. i sure hope it lives up to my expectations since i have no kids left to give a small oven that doesn't work well or won't fit in the space (this is my 3rd attempt to find a "proper" oven).

i found mine online for $179 and no shipping and expect it to arrive tuesday.

p@
"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan

#47 RX

RX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:Sunshades now in a Blue-Grey color
  • Casita Club Directory #:1021

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:27 AM

I do not think you will be sorry with this selection. From the price you stated, I take it you ordered the small one that we also have in our Casita. It does everything that the larger one does and gives some extra open space around the outside cabinet. We still use our door on the cabinet and closing it does not effect the handle when the door is closed. We do keep the cabinet door open when using the oven for heat flow. With the more open space we can keep an eye on how much heat the oven is creating. Without it completely enclosed we can also remove it for winter storage or use it outside for very long cooking time without heating up the inside of the Casita.

We have had our over for just short of a year now and have found no fault with it. We have the larger one at home and use it in place of the big oven. Works great for us and our needs.

Attached Thumbnails

• Smart overn(Small).jpg

Edited by RX, 06 February 2011 - 07:43 AM.

Terry (RX) & Susan
Eastern North Carolina
Casita 2005 Freedom/Spirit Deluxe
Tundra, 5.7 2008

Custom Casita Sunshades, tie downs
Sunsahde items for awnings now made in Sea Blue

#48 tomket

tomket
  • Casita Club Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:58 PM

I can make a 12 inch pizza in my Black n Decker Convection Oven

Irishrover and Chris C,

Do you cook you pizza directly on the wire reack, a crisping pan or a baking stone?

tomket
2010 Casita Spriit Deluxe
2011 Ford F150 XLT
AT&T-Comm (Long Lines) Retired

#49 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts
  • Local time: 12:09 AM
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:03 PM

tomket,

I've not done a pizza in the new oven yet. In the home, I do them on the rack because I like a crisp crust. Don't think I'd want to carry a stone in the trailer with all the bouncing around. Hate to break a nice pizza stone. Think I'll just keep doing them on the rack when I start using the oven in that manner.

Chris
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe pulled with a White 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS.

Visit My Website

#50 tomket

tomket
  • Casita Club Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:41 AM

tomket,

I've not done a pizza in the new oven yet. In the home, I do them on the rack because I like a crisp crust. Don't think I'd want to carry a stone in the trailer with all the bouncing around. Hate to break a nice pizza stone. Think I'll just keep doing them on the rack when I start using the oven in that manner.

Chris,

Thanks, I am waiting for my next BB&B discount card so that I can make my purchase. In the mean time I was looking at baking stones and found an inexpensive one an Amazon that is sold by Whirlpool. I have a convection/microwave combo in another camper and have been very unhappy with the results when using the convection oven. I a thinking a baking stone might help.

Tom

Edited by tomket, 20 February 2011 - 05:41 AM.

2011 Ford F150 XLT

#51 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:50 PM

Tom, I've not cooked a pizza in the new oven yet. But I've used cooking stones in a conventional oven before and have to say they really make a difference in the quality of a home-baked pizza. Don't know why it would be any different in the convection oven. I'm just a little leery of carrying a fragile cooking stone in my trailer. I've opened the door to a lot of items which have had a "bouncing good time" while traveling. :rolleyes: I can't imagine a cooking stone involved in that kind of extra curricula activity. :lol2:

Chris

Visit My Website

#52 RX

RX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:Sunshades now in a Blue-Grey color
  • Casita Club Directory #:1021

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:09 PM

We carry a cooking stone with no problem. Susan made a sleeve out of bubble wrap to slip the stone into for travel. A pizza stone works great in the oven as well.
Terry (RX) & Susan
Eastern North Carolina
Casita 2005 Freedom/Spirit Deluxe
Tundra, 5.7 2008

Custom Casita Sunshades, tie downs
Sunsahde items for awnings now made in Sea Blue

#53 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:11 PM

Well there ya have it! Another accessory to have to make!!!!! :lol2:

Chris

Visit My Website

#54 Irishrover

Irishrover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:02 AM

I can make a 12 inch pizza in my Black n Decker Convection Oven

Irishrover and Chris C,

Do you cook you pizza directly on the wire reack, a crisping pan or a baking stone?

tomket

In response to your question.

A thin 12 inch pizza pan came with my Black and Decker Convection Oven. It's only about an inch high and you have to make a very thin pizza in it or the toppings will spill over.

I opted to go get me a thicker/higher 10 inch pan to make pizza cause I like thick pizza. No worries now about spilling stuff onto the convection oven burners which are very hard to clean. Especially cheese and pizza sauce are hard to get off.

I do not invite anyone over for our pizza parties. We are dedicated pizzamongers!!!!

So no live demonstrations will be offered on how to make pizza in the convection oven.

:rofl: :lol2: :rofl2: :dncinban:
James in Ohio
2006 Casita 17' LD, High Lift Axle, all add ons 'cept electric jack, Front Air
2003 GMC Safari
or
2013 GMC Sierra Extended Cab 1500

#55 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:18 AM

That was probably the same pizza pan that was included with my oven. I tend to agree that things would spill over............but I'm stil going to give it a try.

Chris

Visit My Website

#56 tomket

tomket
  • Casita Club Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:00 AM

Pizza Pan, Pizza Stone. Both will probably help to keep ingredients from spilling over onto the interior surface.

:rofl2:
2011 Ford F150 XLT

#57 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

I've a week trip in the planning and have to admit I'd not tried the new oven with my Honda 2000 watt generator. Tried it today with the oven on, along with the converter, LCD television and DVD player all running on the generator. So I'll be able to use the oven when camping in the boonies. I'll still use my Dutch ovens some, but if the weather isn't conducive to sitting outside, I've the option to use the new convection oven. Needless to say, I'm a very happy camper! :dncinban:

Chris

Visit My Website