15 replies to this topic

#1 cdleslie

cdleslie
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 10:44 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit Deluxe

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:59 AM

Has anyone solved the problem of keeping rain from running down the side of the Casita and along the door? We have tried filling the gap between the body and the awning housing, but nothing has worked well so far. The awning is great, but it's the space in-between that is the problem.

#2 MikeA

MikeA
  • Casita Club Member
  • 117 posts
  • Local time: 02:44 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:18 AM

I have no idea how well it works, however just this morning I saw that Fiamma offers just such a product. They sell it by the foot. There are two sizes made to fit different vehicles.

I believe that a was looking at the full product listing at the Fiamma USA site.

Mike

#3 Alan #1119

Alan #1119
  • Casita Club Member
  • 492 posts
  • Local time: 01:44 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:08 AM

I did it by using a garage weather strip which is hard plastic with a flexible 1/2" strip as the seal. The hard edge of the plastic has to be notched so that the edge fits against the awning case then the flexible edge is sealed to the roof surface.

The weather strip is 9 feet long and I purchased mine at Lowes for about $9. In order to divert the water forward of the door and aft of the curb side window I added 2 channels.The weather strip is secured with short sheet metal screws to the support braces. The top is sealed with silicone to the awning casing.

Attached Thumbnails

• View_of_brackets.jpg

Attached Images

• View_from_front.jpg
  • Front_extension.jpg
  • Front_extension.jpg
  • Rear_extension.jpg
  • View_of_edge_of_WS.jpg

• Tombrown likes this
Alan #1119

'02 17' SD
'05 GMC Sierra

Dallas, TX

#4 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts
  • Local time: 12:44 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:05 PM

On our Scamp, I cut a swim noodle in half to wedge into the gap. Just put it in when the awning is out. Alan's looks nice, but mine was simple and easy. Ha!

Edited by DesertHawk, 28 April 2010 - 07:06 PM.

• Meadowlark likes this

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#5 Ed & Sandy

Ed & Sandy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 27 posts
  • Local time: 11:44 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe 2008

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:36 PM

On our last Casita, we used a strip of the Eze Gutter System that you can buy from Camping World. Unfortunately it only comes in 10' and 50' lengths. We used the 10' and it worked but you really need about 12'. We put the stick-on guttering just about the awning. It works well, but it can leak a little in a really heavy rainfall.
We just got a 2008 Casita and I would like to apply this gutter system on it. Anyone interested in going in on a 1/4 of a 50' section?

Sandy & Ed

#6 breckenridge

breckenridge
  • Casita Club Member
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, canoe, road/mtn biking, telemark skiing & cooking
  • Casita Club Directory #:2934

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:18 AM

An alternative we use is to just slightly 'tilt' the Casita to the opposite side allowing most of the rain water to drain away from the door side.
13' Patriot Deluxe/2008: Sold
16' LD/2010
Nissan Xterra Off Road/2009
Bianchi Nirone C2C/2009
Specialized HardRock Sport 29 MtnBike
Mad River 14' Canoe

#7 PACKRAT

PACKRAT
  • Casita Club Member
  • 60 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Modified

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE (cdleslie @ Apr 28 2010, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone solved the problem of keeping rain from running down the side of the Casita and along the door? We have tried filling the gap between the body and the awning housing, but nothing has worked well so far. The awning is great, but it's the space in-between that is the problem.

I used a lenth of 1/2" clear hose, sealed to the trailer and the awning housing with 3M-4000. Ran the hose out both ends past the door and the window.

Works for me.

Packrat

Edited by PACKRAT, 02 May 2010 - 12:55 AM.

Don & Marge
& Max (our grandchild with a fur coat)
17 FD by 05 Tacoma TRD Sport

Your trip thru this life isn't a practice run....enjoy it to the fullest!

#8 cdleslie

cdleslie
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (DesertHawk @ Apr 28 2010, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On our Scamp, I cut a swim noodle in half to wedge into the gap. Just put it in when the awning is out. Alan's looks nice, but mine was simple and easy. Ha!

#9 cdleslie

cdleslie
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:16 PM

I can't quite picture how you did the noodle. Do you have a picture?

#10 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:21 AM

QUOTE (cdleslie @ May 7 2010, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How does the rainwater flow off of this and still not come down the side of the trailer?

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#11 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (ArizonaEileen @ May 8 2010, 02:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (cdleslie @ May 7 2010, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How does the rainwater flow off of this and still not come down the side of the trailer?

Eileen

and

I can't quite picture how you did the noodle. Do you have a picture? cdleslie

cdleslie, I do not have a photo, but imagine a hot dog weenie which you want to slice in half lengthwise. I cut the swim noodle lengthwise so it is flat on one side and round on the other. Eileen, the noodle is forced between the awning housing and the side of the fiberglass, I assume pressure keeps most of the water from running down the side of the trailer. It is not 100% but pretty good, it does run down where it stops. It forms a kind of gutter, but then it just runs down at the end. As I said, it is not as nice as Alan's, nor does it work as well I am sure. And it is on a Scamp, which has a different awning than Casita from what I can see in pics. I use both halves of the noodle, to fill more of the void, but have some gaps where the awning is attached to the trailer. It is not neat looking, nor stylish. May have to try something a little more cleaver later on. I believe there is a little more of gap on the Scamp, than the Casita, therefore it has room for the noodle to be pressed into the gap.

I haven't had the awning up too much in rain, but it did work OK when in Colorado a couple of years ago, but did not use the noodles at all last year. It did help keep the ground under the awning drier.

I have not taken any pics and I am in Tucson and the Scamp is in Las Cruces. Hope this clears some of the mud out of the water.

cool.gif That's my story and I am sticking to it.

This is the closes pic I have which shows the awning, and if you look carefully up at the top left corner, you many see a hit of green which is the noodle. http://i286.photobuc...adoUpClose2.jpg

Edited by DesertHawk, 08 May 2010 - 03:56 PM.

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#12 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:56 PM

DH --

Thanks for your PM.

Interesting and creative solution as a stop-gap measure, and inexpensive too. I saw noodles at the $1 store!

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#13 MichiganMike

MichiganMike
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Spirit Deluxe 17ft.

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:08 PM

I put 1/2 inch silicone tubing carefully tucked between awning and trailer. I then used clear silicone caulk and caulked top and bottom. It has been this way since I got my trailer in 2001 and have never done anything to it. No leaks.

#14 Tombrown

Tombrown
  • Casita Club Member
  • 128 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit 17 SD #12415
  • Interests:Picked up our Casita Aug 2014. HE: Retired pilot, Vietnam vet, garage tinkerer, SCUBA diver, sports car enthusiast, RC aircraft and HAM radio hobbyist: KD5ETJ. SHE: exotic plant grower, history buff, SCUBA diver, writer.
  • Trailer Name:Gone Walkabout
  • Casita Club Directory #:14442

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:39 PM

I did it by using a garage weather strip which is hard plastic with a flexible 1/2" strip as the seal. The hard edge of the plastic has to be notched so that the edge fits against the awning case then the flexible edge is sealed to the roof surface.

The weather strip is 9 feet long and I purchased mine at Lowes for about $9. In order to divert the water forward of the door and aft of the curb side window I added 2 channels.The weather strip is secured with short sheet metal screws to the support braces. The top is sealed with silicone to the awning casing.

I like your solution. Did it fix the water from pouring down the face of the trailer during a heavy rain? I'm thinking a 2/1/2" x 120" piece of 1/8" aluminum "mounted" pretty much like your weather strip. It'll cost about $40 for the aluminum.

#15 Tombrown

Tombrown
  • Casita Club Member
  • 128 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit 17 SD #12415
  • Interests:Picked up our Casita Aug 2014. HE: Retired pilot, Vietnam vet, garage tinkerer, SCUBA diver, sports car enthusiast, RC aircraft and HAM radio hobbyist: KD5ETJ. SHE: exotic plant grower, history buff, SCUBA diver, writer.
  • Trailer Name:Gone Walkabout
  • Casita Club Directory #:14442

Posted 16 August 2020 - 01:33 PM

So the aluminum cost $27 less tax. Stainless steel screws cost $.27 each for three. Calking about $4 bucks. Here's the result:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0611uuu.JPG
  • IMG_0607 mm.JPG

Edited by Tombrown, 16 August 2020 - 01:37 PM.