• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 richard.m

richard.m
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 15 posts
  • Local time: 12:55 AM
  • Interests:fly fishing, fly tying, canoeing and kayaking, backpacking and canoe tripping. and of course Casita camping. my wife, Donna, and i are both retired and enjoy the outdoors.

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:55 AM

thanks to everyone for all the input and suggestions, we appreciate all of them. however, it looks like we have solved our storage container problem. Donna found six "Large Fabric Bins" at our local Target , i attached them in rows of three and they fit perfectly. each bin measures 13"h, 13.25"w, and 13.25"d. the total length of the three attached bins are 39.75" and they slide all the way under the bed with about 6" to spare. the bins do not have tops and the sides and bottoms are rigid when assembled. i attached the bins to each other with pop rivets and backing wachers, using four rivets in each side. they hold a lot of stuff and slide easily out independeltly from under the bed. i will attach a few pics to this post. thanks again, richard.m
Casita_storage_boxes_005__600_x_287_.jpg Casita_storage_boxes_003__600_x_381_.jpg Casita_storage_boxes_002__600_x_543_.jpg Casita_storage_boxes_001__551_x_600_.jpg Casita_storage_boxes_006__600_x_502_.jpg
Richard & Donna
2007 Liberty Deluxe
2000 Toyota 4-Runner
Asheville, NC

#17 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,470 posts
  • Local time: 11:55 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:07 PM

Richard:

Thanks for this storage post. Several weeks ago we searched our closest Target for suitable containers, but I don't remember seeing those. Do they have a manufacturer's name identification on them?

They seem to be the perfect size, but I would try to engineer a method of fastening them together while under the bed, for easier access to all three, but being able to separate them. We like to load up our under bed containers in the house and then carry filled containers to the trailer.

Good post, thanks.

Harold

#18 richard.m

richard.m
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:fly fishing, fly tying, canoeing and kayaking, backpacking and canoe tripping. and of course Casita camping. my wife, Donna, and i are both retired and enjoy the outdoors.

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:12 PM

Harold, the brand name on the bins is "itso" which i believe is a Target house brand. the bins were available in several colors (ours is khaki) and were packaged flat in the store. Richard
Richard & Donna
2007 Liberty Deluxe
2000 Toyota 4-Runner
Asheville, NC

#19 Ed Harris

Ed Harris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 343 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:59 AM

Richard
I went and looked at these but in my SD the opening they would have to slide in is only 24".
This makes them too wide to go in side by side except from above. There is enough room for them but not to slide them out once they are in?

Ideas?

Ed
2002 Casita 17FD
1982 FiberStream 16'
Down to 2 for now!
KC0UKR-Easy Dog

I can stop anytime....Really!

#20 Arainngirl

Arainngirl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 44 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Scamp 13 ft

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:12 PM

Hi, all-

I had the plastic tubs under the bed for a while, but I hated having to drag all of them out to get what was in the back, so I built a drawer. It's shallow and is bolted to the dinette seats (which is never made up into the table)--and now I have a tub in the back and it also fits my suitcase and other things. I may go back to open crates, but this allows me to pull out the drawer to access everything there with ease. (I don't have a picture that has the drawer fully extended, so it actually goes the entire length and width of the space between the dinette seats.)

Karen

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01790.jpg
  • DSC01793.jpg

#21 momabear

momabear
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 08:55 PM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (richard.m @ Oct 12 2009, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any ideas about underbed storage would be appreciated. We've tried two shallow underbed-sized (6" high each) plastic storage bins for our extra clothing, but we have to stack them since they're too wide to place side-by-side under the bed in our 2007 17' LD. This gets a little inconvenient to have to drag both boxes out if you need to get to the lower one. We've checked out plastic stacking drawer systems at Target and Wal-Mart, but two of them stacked are too tall for the space.

Would love to find two decent-sized baskets or bins that are fairly long and deep, but narrow enough to set side-by-side under the bed. Have also considered getting a single extra-large bin, and somehow placing a divider down the middle.

#22 momabear

momabear
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:51 PM

what we use is 2 storage boxes purchased at Jo-Anns Fabrics our unit is in storage or I would measure them. they have wheels on one end and a lid to cover the top, but to inconvient, out the door, they fit side by side , we just bring them in the house to unload. and store them under the bed when not in use

#23 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:52 AM

The Jo-Ann's storage boxes haven't been available in well over a year. They've been discontinued by the manufacturer.

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#24 Deke

Deke
  • Casita Club Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:16 PM

We tried long clear plastic storage bags on the last trip but not that happy with it. They are clumsy when full. When I read about a large drawer someone was using, it led me to our current method - a very large wheeled suitcase. We already had one and we intend to use one storage bin on a rope behind it. We will each have a zippered compartment on the outside of the suitcase and If we split the suitcase as well as the built-in storage over the bed, we only expect to wheel it out once a day. The front end lays on the carpet and as a safety, I expect to put a rubber bungee hooked on the front. Other end of bungee will go into a ??? Screw eye on slant board?? 2-b-continued - The gist is - the large suitcase is 21" wide for the 24" space and plenty deep to hold lots (underbed clearance appears to be 15").

#25 Alan #1119

Alan #1119
  • Casita Club Member
  • 492 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:40 PM

The photos are not very clear but this is the stop brace I made from 1"x2" stock and two small hinges. The cross piece fits snugly against the seat walls and the legs fold out to brace against the seat and the kitchen molding. Note that the legs do not go to the end of the cross piece but are inset about 1/2".

Attached Thumbnails

• Stop_brace_.jpg
  • Sterilite_box_under_bed.jpg

Alan #1119

'02 17' SD
'05 GMC Sierra

Dallas, TX

#26 Jude

Jude
  • Casita Club Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:54 AM

Here's our underbed storage (for kibbles only)!
underbed2__Custom_.jpg
Judy & Nigel Nicholson
17' LD, 2008
Acura MDX, 2004

#27 Leehman Wexlin

Leehman Wexlin
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit 17
  • Interests:photography, sailing, wood working, music

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (Alan #1119 @ Nov 18 2009, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The photos are not very clear but this is the stop brace I made from 1"x2" stock and two small hinges. The cross piece fits snugly against the seat walls and the legs fold out to brace against the seat and the kitchen molding. Note that the legs do not go to the end of the cross piece but are inset about 1/2".

Hi Alan,

Thanks for sharing your stopper modification for underbed storage. I hope you don't mind if I copy it? Great idea!!!!!!!
Joan Jane Leehman

http://leehman.smugmug.com/

#28 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Local time: 10:55 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:31 PM

My underbed storage is very similar to that of Alan. Did this mod in Aug 07 and it has been well used since then. It provides gobs of space and with the roller wheels and dual opening top it is easy to access the back end of the bin.

Last month I saw the 'bins' on sale at Wal-mart for $10 each.

Here is one photo and you can see the entire mod at:
http://tinyurl.com/2k36aw

120_Fits_like_this.jpg

Don
Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#29 Ed Harris

Ed Harris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 343 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:10 PM

I wet to Target after reading this a few times ad I found some hard plastic bins the same exact size of the fabric ones posted about in the first place. They are made by the same company and in the same series of bins.

It turns out that though the opening under the bed is 28" or so the space between the narrowest spot of framing is only 24". So I got 6 of these plastic bins and stuck them under the bed and I can slide the first one out past the framing and then the rest can follow. They do not slide easily though and are not easy to get in and out after the first two and there is of course no place to put them if you need one of the rear ones.

Then it occured to me that if I lift the table top which is the center of the bed and pretend the rearmost edge is a hinge I can reach each of the 6 bins and just pluck out what I need or throw items back in.
I will probably make a new wooden board with this in mind and a way to hold it open too. The bottom line is that these 6 bins completely fill the underbed space and provide organization and storage I could only dream about before.

I have one for the coffee maker,laundry,clean clothes,tools,etc. and I can load them up in the house if I want to.
I can also just take them in and out as needed and they seem very rugged as well.

Most of the stuff that I had in the closet now is under the bed,I am excited(doesn't take much?).

Ed
2002 Casita 17FD
1982 FiberStream 16'
Down to 2 for now!
KC0UKR-Easy Dog

I can stop anytime....Really!

#30 Alan #1119

Alan #1119
  • Casita Club Member
  • 492 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:38 PM

Leehman,

Glad you are able to use it.

Don,

Darn, I guess Iíll have to paint mine now!
Alan #1119

'02 17' SD
'05 GMC Sierra

Dallas, TX