7 replies to this topic

#1 thumper-tx

thumper-tx
  • Casita Club Member
  • 82 posts
  • Local time: 01:11 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Escape 21

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:45 PM

I searched and did not come up with much in the archives and wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on Caprock Canyon Park [TX]

How are the facilities? How crowded is it in the fall? It is about a 10hr drive pulling a trailer for me and I am hoping there are a few folks out there with firsthand feedback.
Thanks
2003 Tacoma 4X4
2010 17 SD

#2 sticks

sticks
  • Casita Club Member
  • 146 posts
  • Local time: 12:11 PM
  • Interests:Texas travel, music ( somewhat of a drummer ) unique dining

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:02 PM

Never been there but this might help.

http://www.rvparkrev...s/Quitaque.html

#3 brain

brain
  • Casita Club Member
  • 619 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:48 PM

I like Caprock Canyon SP, TX. It's not really near anything, very quiet, nice large campsites with privacy and shade shelters, and a decent bathroom/shower. The terrain is very unique, something you don't expect out in West TX. Here are some photos:
caprockcanyon1.jpg

#4 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:16 PM

I have been wanting to see Caprock Canyons State Park as well. http://www.tpwd.stat...aprock_canyons/
http://www.americans...state-park.html
http://en.wikipedia....rk_and_Trailway

From what I have read, it seems like a very neat area to see. Caprock Canyons is home of the official Texas State
Bison Herd. Activities: Viewing wildlife, Horseback riding, Hiking, Fishing, Picnicking, Swimming, Rock climbing, Mountain biking. I am also eager to see what anyone with first hand knowledge has too say concerning the area.

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#5 brain

brain
  • Casita Club Member
  • 619 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:59 PM

Caprock Canyon SP is a deceiving large state park. There are lots of hiking trails inside the park that are also for horseback riding. The terrain is pretty rugged with elevation changes. There is also a rail to trail outside the park that goes about 20 miles or so and is great for mountain biking. There is only one campground location with standard state park electric and water hookups. The sites are spread apart nicely, with a fire ring for night time fires and sitting out listening to the nearby coyotes. There is one shower/restroom building with typical SP facilities. Beautiful West Texas sunsets are included free of charge. The one thing to keep in mind about this place is it's not near much, as things in West Tx tend to be that way.

caprock_canyon_SP_3.jpg

#6 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 594 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:04 PM

I stopped in there for a night about 3 weekends ago. Very nice park. Quite scenic. I think it is the eastern most edge of the canyon which has Palo Duro canyon state park on its western edge. Level sites, and if your a bike rider, they have miles and miles of bike trails.
I will be going back there again real soon. One night was just not enough to see the park and surronding area.
Besides, there was something about traveling through a nearby town by the name of Turkey. And I remember a still functioning drive in movie theater just outside of Turkey on the way to Quitaque.
And if you like dark sky with lots of stars...this is the state park to camp out in.
While I was there the one night, I met a couple who were out with the egg for the first time. We stopped and talked about a few things, things that I wondered about when I first picked up mine back in Feb of 2008.

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD

#7 Rich & Penny

Rich & Penny
  • Casita Club Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:43 PM

We stayed there for two nights in March of '08 after picking up our new Casita in Rice. We were there the day after Easter Weekend and there were only a few people camped there. We did some nice hikes and some mountain bike riding and really enjoyed it. It reminded me of the country in Southern Utah, only smaller.

I would guess that unless you are there on a big weekend you will find it not too crowded. On the Easter weekend before we were there, I heard that it was very crowded and we just missed it.

Rich

#8 Richard S

Richard S
  • Casita Club Member
  • 137 posts
  • Local time: 11:11 AM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:23 PM

We have been camping at Caprock since 2002. Spring and Fall are the best times. The only time its gets crowded is during spring break and when they have mountain bike races in the park. The park is quiet with lots of wildlife. Its located 3 miles from the town of Quitaque which has two places to eat, one gas station, and a small grocery store.