12 replies to this topic

#1 NaturalWoman

NaturalWoman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 711 posts
  • Local time: 11:28 AM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:57 AM

Hi all,

Here's a fun link to a revised version of a traditional design: http://www.roamingti...op-trailer.aspx

Also, a friend who just bought a T@B tells me that the manufacturer is temporarily suspending production. Wonder how long that "temporarily" will be. Will T@Bs quickly become collector's items?

My friend says that her T@B weighs 1800 lbs unloaded, and that she tows it with her Toyota Matrix. Wow! She avoids hills.

Still loving my Casita the best,
Carol
2001 Toyota Tacoma - "Jack"
2000 13-foot Casita Patriot Deluxe - "Cassie Blanca"

#2 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts
  • Local time: 12:28 PM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:02 PM

biggrin.gif They are neat looking, as a matter of fact, I was looking at one's much like the So-Cal teardrop before we went to our egg. It is sooo nice having a shower & head & a galley in the trailer with you. Looked at a Tab as well. Ditto on no shower. mad.gif
Thanks for sharing, always like to see what is out there.

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#3 SteveH

SteveH
  • Casita Club Member
  • 439 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17' SD
  • Interests:Camping, Hunting, Fishing, Radio Control Aircraft, Kayaking, Photography, Travel

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:05 PM

Here's a link to some pictures, including build pictures, of a teardrop trailer that I built in '04. http://www.mikenchel...php?user_id=395

I spent 64 nights in that trailer, and towed it over 25K miles before selling it for what it cost me to build it. It is a much simpler way to camp than even a Casita. One of the first things you must learn is how to undress and dress while laying down. biggrin.gif
Regards,
Steve

#4 travlinbob

travlinbob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:Family, travel, surfing the web, researching historical places and events, maps and charts, travel, cars, sailing, light sport aircraft and photography.
  • Casita Club Directory #:3005

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:53 PM

Its interesting that the 5X11 Cal Deluxe model is a bit more than I paid for the 09 C17SD.

travlinbob

09 C17SD "Rancho Casita", high lift axle, and 15" load range "D" Marathons
01 Chevy Blazer and 07 Trail Blazer

#5 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (travlinbob @ Sep 21 2009, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its interesting that the 5X11 Cal Deluxe model is a bit more than I paid for the 09 C17SD.

travlinbob

biggrin.gif Oh, yes. That was the other reason I when looking and stopped with a molded fiberglass trailer.

SteveH, Very nice unit, your a good carpenter for sure. Someone got a very goood deal on a teardrop. I liked the AC system. biggrin.gif

Edited by DesertHawk, 21 September 2009 - 03:23 PM.

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#6 SteveH

SteveH
  • Casita Club Member
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Hunting, Fishing, Radio Control Aircraft, Kayaking, Photography, Travel

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:58 AM

Thanks Desert Hawk. It was a fun project which took me about four months to build, with most of the time spent looking for materials. It was really not too big a deal to build as it was mostly plywood. I enjoyed camping with it, but it got to be just too much "roughing it", the worst being if the weather turned bad.
Regards,
Steve

#7 Bruno

Bruno
  • Casita Club Member
  • 75 posts
  • Local time: 01:28 PM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:06 AM

There are a lot of teardrop builders out there and I think some of them are pretty ugly in the end. One that I think nailed it from the Aesthetics standpoint is Camp-Inn. Check them out here
http://tinycamper.com/index.htm

I visited the factory once and the high quality surprised me. Everything was first class. It's a different style of camping than the casita, but if the teardrop is your thing, these are nice ones.

Check out the 560, it's a new take on an old design.

#8 mfoster

mfoster
  • Casita Club Member
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Wife and I love to flyfish. Retired 6/08 from job as a paramedic and will continue working PRN as an RN after a summer of playing. Wife is a retired paramedic and teaches Emergency Medical Technicians at a Junior College. She is a big time Quilter.

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:20 AM

Sisters T@B at Smithville lake in Missouri. They are really nice...but no bathroom. The attached screen room was great as was the view and weather. But...sadley I forgot my fishing pole. mf

Attached Thumbnails

• Tab1.JPG

#9 SteveH

SteveH
  • Casita Club Member
  • 439 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:00 AM

The CampInn teardrops are very nice and considered the "Cadillac" of the teardrops, but they are expensive, with a mid-priced unit going for about $12,500.

The vast majority of true teardrops today are home built, and they have almost a cult following with "gatherings" like most every other type of RV. Here is a link to some photos I took of various trailers at a "gathering" in Louisiana a while back: http://s127.photobuc...9970127/LCG II/

As you can see, no two are alike, with the exception that all sleep two, and the bed is on the floor.
Regards,
Steve

#10 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:11 AM

I have to think that for certain groups of people, a teardrop is a far better choice than even our beloved Casitas.

With the advent of smaller, more fuel efficient cars, only a few people can tow a Casita, and fewer will be able to do so in the future as social conscience influences people to reduce their carbon foot print (not to mention if the Cap and Trade Bill before the Senate is passed to help solve Global Warming, which would increase fossil fuel cost by as much as 40% to encourage people to live more efficiently).

I see the teardrop as a solution for folks who travel more miles than they stop-and-camp given their low profile and aerodynamics, especially if one does it in the dry West, or in nice weather elsewhere.

In fact, I'd love one (or maybe a Patriot Standard) to tag behind my Jeep Wrangler, or whatever smaller car being socially responsible forces me to drive. They're cute as a bug!

But I wouldn't pay anything close to $12,500 for one, but a friend admired my Casita, saying he'd LOVE to have one, also did a double-take when I answered I'd paid $10k for my used 17SD, blurting out, "I'd love one, but that thing's not worth more than $2500." Value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Some teardrop sites:
http://www.teardrops.net/
http://www.mikenchel...orums/index.php

Bob

Edited by Bobinyelm, 23 September 2009 - 06:16 AM.

#11 PaPa Smurf

PaPa Smurf
  • Casita Club Member
  • 267 posts
  • Local time: 01:28 PM
  • Interests:Motorcycle's,...state Director of TRI, RC car raving..Photo.
  • Casita Club Directory #:?

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (mfoster @ Sep 22 2009, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sisters T@B at Smithville lake in Missouri. They are really nice...but no bathroom. The attached screen room was great as was the view and weather. But...sadley I forgot my fishing pole. mf

look at a new 2010 and it has a bathroom,but no shower...I like it
"Politicians are Like Diapers,
They both need changing regularly
for the SAME reason..........

Just be happy I'm not a Twin....

U,S.N. Viet-Nam 67-70
U,S, Coast Guard Res. 71-05
State Correctional Officer, Max Security Prison 79-05
FOP Chaplain for years 2005, 2007,2008,2010

#12 Rich & Penny

Rich & Penny
  • Casita Club Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:16 PM

Yes they are cute, and I admire the workmanship in the homemade ones, but no shower or bathroom. That's the reason we bought our Casita. By the way, we still have our VW Westfalia, which is kind of like camping in a teardrop except you can stand up in it, even when it's raining, and you don't have to tow it, plus we have our choice of sleeping upstairs or downstairs. They even have a cult following of their own.

Rich

#13 mfoster

mfoster
  • Casita Club Member
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Wife and I love to flyfish. Retired 6/08 from job as a paramedic and will continue working PRN as an RN after a summer of playing. Wife is a retired paramedic and teaches Emergency Medical Technicians at a Junior College. She is a big time Quilter.

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (PaPa Smurf @ Sep 23 2009, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mfoster @ Sep 22 2009, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

look at a new 2010 and it has a bathroom,but no shower...I like it

True they do have the bathroom but not self contained from what I saw...but if I could have two trailers would consider one. Our Casita is the ticket for sure...I always tell my sitster...nice..but no bathroom...lol she hates that..but what else are brothers for.