Levelers

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 AnnaK

AnnaK
  • Casita Club Member
  • 97 posts
  • Local time: 11:56 PM
  • Interests:Our German Shepherd dogs, the pool and gardens in summer, reading in winter, Casitaing any time we can get away.

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:37 AM

I started out Casita'ing on my own. My DH still works, I'm retired, and I go out a lot on my own. With a couple of German Shepherds. I never thought of having to level the trailer side-to-side until I got to a CG where it really REALLY was necessary. Had never heard of levelers.

What to do?

I do carry a couple of pieces of lumber to put under the hitch post and under the legs in back but this was a case of having to get one side up higher than the other and I wasn't willing to sacrifice my lumber. There were no flat rocks conveniently available, so . . . hmmmmm.

I used my seat cover, the wooden bead kind available at K-Mart and etc for really cheap. Folded it in half, put it it under the low wheel, drove up on it, checked the leveling gauge. Still low. Backed up, folded it in quarters - this is getting a little tight now! - drove on it gain. Perfect!

Ever since that trip back in 2002 we've used beaded seat covers as levelers.

If it's too tilted to take a 1/4 fold, let's face it, it's a way crooked site and you're better off elsewhere. Sure, after a while the beads break and when they do, you stop at an X-Mart and get a new one of about $14.00 . They have served us well and they've worked on any surface - grass, gravel, mud.

I know you're laughing because there's much more high tech stuff out there but hey, these are cheap and they're useful and easy to store and very easy to use.

AnnaK and Rich
and the German Shepherd dogs
17' Spirit Standard

#2 PRTexas

PRTexas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:06 PM

No laughter if it works. I think Casita folks are masters and finding "alternative" uses for stuff.

We carry a couple of 2x6 and 1x6 boards specifically for the purpose of easy leveling. A 2x6 also comes in handy under the curb side wheel when draining the gray tank.

Whatever you use, just be sure you can chock the wheels for safety.

I don't Casita on my own but if Paul's work schedule keeps coming up with him working Saturdays, I might just start. Really hard to have a great weekend getaway when I'm Mon-Fri and he's Tues-Sat.

Reine
Paul and Reine
Plano, TX
2000 FD "new to us" in 2008
2008 Chevy Avalanche
traded the Chevy S10

#3 sparky1

sparky1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 279 posts
  • Local time: 12:56 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:13Ft Patriot Deluxe
  • Interests:camping in something--
    I have a female cat
    good sam lifetimer
  • Casita Club Directory #:2911 virginia

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:12 PM

i have always used a pressure treated 2 x 6" beveled at the ends---which makes it easy to drive up on---you can always nail a stop piece on it--to help prevent Cassie from rolling. till you take it off the (tow vehicle)
sparky1 in Va.

#4 Bruce44

Bruce44
  • Casita Club Member
  • 51 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:32 PM

I carry 2 or 3 2x6's plus several of strips of 1/2" plywood to level the trailer. These should be placed under the wheels. Do NOT ever use the stabilazers to level the trailer, can result in a warped frame. Position Casita where you want it to be, check side to side level. If need to adjust pull forward (or back), place boards, and position wheels on boards. Then level front to back. I tend to be lazy, first estimate of boards needed (from level) is good enough for me; if bubble is at least half within the mark I don't level or add/subtract boards. I have never been exactly level. The only adverse effect from being unlevel is the shower (the farther you are from being level the more water collects on the low side) all other systems work OK.

#5 Bookmobile

Bookmobile
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 08:56 PM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:09 PM

Our used 07 came with a bag of lego-like 8"x8"x1" blocks that can be stacked to many different heights and ramp configurations. Very handy and weigh less than 2x6 blocks but not as creative as seat covers! Available everywhere at many prices. Pictures at http://tinyurl.com/lk28ft

Edited by Bookmobile, 19 September 2009 - 01:11 PM.

2007 17' SD
2005 Tundra

#6 Paul from NWOnt

Paul from NWOnt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 48 posts
  • Casita Club Directory #:2914

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:39 PM

I love the bead idea for it's sheer simplicity.

I use two scissor jacks raided from scrap cars to level. I stick one under the doorway, and one under the driver side frame in front of the axle to stabilize. If it turns out that the passenger side is low, then I add a screw type bottle jack in front of the axle on that side. Only the tongue jack, plus one other jack ever does any lifting, and the others are strictly for stability. It's a little more time consuming, but I can spare it when I'm on vacation.

#7 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (AnnaK @ Sep 19 2009, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do carry a couple of pieces of lumber to put under the hitch post and under the legs in back but this was a case of having to get one side up higher than the other and I wasn't willing to sacrifice my lumber. There were no flat rocks conveniently available, so . . . hmmmmm.

I used my seat cover, the wooden bead kind available at K-Mart and etc for really cheap. Folded it in half, put it it under the low wheel, drove up on it, checked the leveling gauge. Still low. Backed up, folded it in quarters - this is getting a little tight now! - drove on it gain. Perfect!

QUOTE (Bruce44)
Do NOT ever use the stabilizers to level the trailer, can result in a warped frame.

Leveling your trailer is one thing. Stabilizing is another.

Here's the order that most (but not all) of us employ:

First, level your trailer side to side by 'raising' the tire on the low side. I use the Legos (they come in handy for other things, too, like at the dump), but there are other choices, such as tapered boards -- or even wooden bead seat covers -- that work too.

Second, level your trailer front to back by winding the hitch.

Third, lower the stabilizers and lock in.

My understanding is that it's not only the shower pan that's affected by being unlevel, but also the refrigerator. Besides, you don't want the blood to rush to your head when lying down, or feeling like you're camping at the Mystery Spot. biggrin.gif

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#8 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:54 PM

Sorry for all of the same posts. Appears to be a studdering problem with my computer. Erg!

Eileen

Edited by ArizonaEileen, 20 September 2009 - 05:56 AM.

#9 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:56 PM

blush.gif blush.gif

Edited by ArizonaEileen, 20 September 2009 - 06:01 AM.

#10 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:58 PM

Darned computer gremlins! Been having lots of them lately. Thanks, SteveH, for the heads up.

Edited by ArizonaEileen, 20 September 2009 - 06:02 AM.

#11 SteveH

SteveH
  • Casita Club Member
  • 439 posts
  • Local time: 10:56 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17' SD
  • Interests:Camping, Hunting, Fishing, Radio Control Aircraft, Kayaking, Photography, Travel

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:45 AM

Well, Eileen, I think you got your point across. biggrin.gif
Regards,
Steve

#12 AnnaK

AnnaK
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:Our German Shepherd dogs, the pool and gardens in summer, reading in winter, Casitaing any time we can get away.

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:19 AM

QUOTE (Paul from NWOnt @ Sep 19 2009, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love the bead idea for it's sheer simplicity.

Exactly! That's why we've continued using this method for the past 7 years. We travel with three large dogs and space is truly at a premium even with the addition of a car top carrier.

The bead cover has worked with any surface we've thrown at it: sandy sites at South Beach in Oregon, a muddy pasture in Massachusetts, soft lush grass at a somewhat lumpy CG in the Ozarks and a thick layer of pea gravel somewhere in Nevada. We cut 6" squares of Trex for the stabilizers and something a little more substantial for the hitch post. Those along with the chocks and the beads go in a milk crate right inside the door. First thing out and last thing in. All of it is easy and very inexpensive to replace.

Keeping it simple is one reason we so love our Casita.

AnnaK and Rich
and the German Shepherd dogs
17' Spirit Standard

#13 WaltP

WaltP
  • Casita Club Member
  • 126 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' BigFoot, 2002

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:14 AM

We're probably novices compared to most folks on this forum. We've camped in only about 10 sites so far, about boondocking. So far we've never had a problem with getting the side-to-side leveling "close enough" for comfortable sleeping. At most we've had to move it a little one or two times to get it close.
And I've never bothered with the stabilizers. Perhaps because we have a 13' it's not as necessary but it's never felt like it was "rocking".

Walt

#14 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Local time: 10:56 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:51 PM

Walt - I put a large ball level on the belly band and can see it from the drivers seat. When pulling onto the camping site and by watching the level can stop on a 'close enough' spot.
040_Stop_tow_vehicle_when_trailer_is_level.jpg

Don
Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#15 WaltP

WaltP
  • Casita Club Member
  • 126 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' BigFoot, 2002

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:30 PM

Nice one Don. I haven't seen one that large. That would be really helpful.

Walt