• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts
  • Local time: 01:13 PM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

huh.gif My son-in-law & daughter are planning on going to see Yellowstone in 2010. We are planning on tagging along or pershaps meeting them up there. This year we are all waiting for their first child to make his appearence. Winter is not an option. I am thinking between June till September. Which would be a good time for the trip. It will be his first trip. We also need some time to go see our son & his family who are moving to Alaska. Your opinions on that trip would be appreciated as well. May have to fly to Alaska. It will be our first time up that way. They plan on using a tent, but if needed they could use the back of our campershell on our pickup as well.

Thanks for any advice on the best month to go.

DesertHawk

Edited by DesertHawk, 20 May 2009 - 09:59 PM.

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#2 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 11:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:05 AM

My vote would go to early September. Kids are back in school, park is less crowded, and the temps are just perfect.

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#3 rangerric

rangerric
  • Casita Club Member
  • 35 posts
  • Local time: 02:13 PM
  • Interests:Fishing and Travel

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:48 AM

Last time I was there was in July 1986. This was a perfect time for camping in the area. It was a long hot drive to get there from Mississippi, but well worth it once we arrived. That is why we are going again in July. Hope you have a great time.

QUOTE (DesertHawk @ May 20 2009, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
huh.gif My son-in-law & daughter are planning on going to see Yellowstone in 2010. We are planning on tagging along or pershaps meeting them up there. This year we are all waiting for their first child to make his appearence. Winter is not an option. I am thinking between June till September. Which would be a good time for the trip. It will be his first trip. We also need some time to go see our son & his family who are moving to Alaska. Your opinions on that trip would be appreciated as well. May have to fly to Alaska. It will be our first time up that way. They plan on using a tent, but if needed they could use the back of our campershell on our pickup as well.

DesertHawk

Ranger Ric
2006 Liberty Deluxe
South Mississippi

#4 Sue and Sandy

Sue and Sandy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,703 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2001 16ft. Freedom Deluxe

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:11 AM

I would go early to mid September. But as Eileen said, fewer people, better temps. Maybe even some fall color!

The problem with June is that you can still get spring storms. Some with snow. Of course you can get snow in September, but the chance is lower...

post-176-0-54687300-1405271931_thumb.jpg

2001 16' FD "The Alpine Egg-Spress" #1155
2013 Ford F150 Supercab 4X4

#5 Southern Comfort

Southern Comfort
  • Casita Club Member
  • 350 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 Spirit
  • Interests:cooking,golf,fishing,hiking,

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:20 AM

I Agree With Eileen. May , before Memorial Day or September. In May, the mountians all around are still snow capped and very senic in the distance. Depending on the snowfall amounts, higher passes might still be closed. The Elk will not look good. Shaggy, thin. and no horns that time of year. The last 2 weeks in September, the foliage is turning colors and the Elk are looking good. Carefull, in rut that time of year.

#6 breckenridge

breckenridge
  • Casita Club Member
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, canoe, road/mtn biking, telemark skiing & cooking
  • Casita Club Directory #:2934

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:49 AM

We spent 20-27 June 2008 in Yellowstone and found it to be a good time. WX was good & it was not really crowded except for the Old Faithful area. The other areas (Mammoth Hot Springs, Canyon, Grant Village) all were busy but not wall to wall people.

We stayed at Fishing Bridge RV Park (full hook ups, on a parking lot; no soft sided trailers; no tents; no camp fires) was pretty much full but the no hook up camp sites we visited all had open spaces.
13' Patriot Deluxe/2008: Sold
16' LD/2010
Nissan Xterra Off Road/2009
Bianchi Nirone C2C/2009
Specialized HardRock Sport 29 MtnBike
Mad River 14' Canoe

#7 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:31 AM

In the western parks that I visited - everything is less crowed when the kids are back in school.
2006 17' Spirit owner since July 18, 2006
Tow Vehicle - 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 3.9L, Automatic Sports Plus Package, 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 gear ratio, Trailer Tow Group pkg(transmission & oil cooler, class IV hitch, wiring), Heavy Duty package (automatic Overdrive, battery upgrade, front & rear anti sway bars) Package

#8 Chris Z

Chris Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 788 posts
  • Local time: 03:13 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' SD

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:02 AM

True about the kids being in school. generally what we've tried to do in the past but 3 years ago we were in Yellwstone about 2nd week of June and it was great. We heard July was much busier but only hearsay.
#2077 Louisville, Ky
2006 Black Chevy Suburban
2005 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

#9 qua22y

qua22y
  • Casita Club Member
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Traveling in our Cracker Box Palace with our dog. Meeting new people seeing new places.

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:17 AM

Hey there, we have been there in late July and September and you really miss out on the wildlife, especially the newly born. This year we are going in June. We will be leaving our house in Washington on the 6th and entering this time throught the south enterance. We are going to be camping out our first night hopefully in the Tetons, missed that last tiem. WO w and must see visit. Then we will go around the east to the north exit. Having been there threee times you never get to see the same thing twice. Just pick a different time each year. June is the BEST. Have a great time.
Di&JIM
2002 SaturnVue
1996 Casita 16ft
Cracker Box Palace

#10 Oso Papa

Oso Papa
  • Casita Club Member
  • 28 posts
  • Local time: 12:13 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE (DesertHawk @ May 20 2009, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DesertHawk

#11 mike712

mike712
  • Casita Club Member
  • 632 posts
  • Local time: 12:13 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

If you can arrive just before the aspens start to turn and stay until aspen leaves begin to fall that would be about perfect. I was lucky enough to be in Glacier about 15 years ago for that span of time, the third week in September. I thought Yellowstone was dry, worn and crowded a week to 10 days after labor day in 2008. Maybe June is the time to be there. I'd love to see mountains with the heavy snow of late spring, early summer. Desert Hawk thank you for camping suggestions around Yellowstone. I studied some of them on the DeLorme map, and some government campgrounds outside of the park might be a Casita campers delight. Thank you. Mike
Mike & Sally
---Iowa---
2004 17 SD
2006 Tundra

#12 Jim A

Jim A
  • Casita Club Member
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Landscape Photography, Astronomy/Astrophotography

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:08 PM

For the “summer” period, I’d go with the mid-June time. One year we got snow in the first week of June but even then it was mostly gone by the second day. Weather was crisp but very nice after that. Water’s still cold though so if you’re into rafting or canoeing, be prepared. I’ll agree with the comment on less wildlife sightings by the time you get to September. July and the first half of August have more people than geysers and wildlife. By mid August things are starting to settle down and the weather is still nice. I think over the years, our most perfect weather trip was in the last part of August. If you’re going to stop in the Tetons, the campground at Colter Bay has some nice sites. There is a full hookup area (usually full) and a large number of sites with no hookups.
2007 Spirit Deluxe
"White Dwarf"
2012 Airstream, Flying Cloud (27ft)
2012 GMC Denali HD
San Angelo TX

#13 Jackdog

Jackdog
  • Casita Club Member
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:04 PM

I've been several times in September the week after Labor Day. The crowds are gone, the weather is still great, most if not all services are still open and you don't have a problem pulling in and finding a spot.

My two favorites spots is Signal Mountain campground which is actually a bit south of the park entrance but has sit down views of Jenny Lake and the Tetons and the West Thumb camground next to Yellowstone Lake just inside the south entrance. Nice and flat sites and there is a store and restaurant next door.

Enjoy
Jack Dog in
So Cal cool.gif