• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts
  • Local time: 12:21 PM

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:41 PM

sad.gif I stopped by the house in town where I had seen a motorcycle carrier with a 2" reciever hitch built into it. It was still for sale. It is a Versa Haul VH-SPORT RO. The carrier is designed to safely carry 600 lbs. if your hitch is rated that much. Most Class III hitches are rated for 500 lbs. Most Class IV hitches are rated for 1000 lbs. Your hauling weight may be limited by your vehicle's capacity to carry a load. The VH-SPORT RO has a Class III hitch on the end of the carrier. It is limited to light-duty applications. The max towing weight, regardless of your vehicle, is 3000 lbs. http://www.versahaul.com/vhsportro.php

I would go back and buy it but I am not sure if the max towing weight of 3000 lbs would adequate to two my 16' Scamp.

I believe the hitch rate of the Ford F-150 is adequate.

But are they? What do you guy think? huh.gif

Edit: 2009 Ford F-150 Regular Cab Long Bed with factory tow package.
I would like to carry the motorcycle and tow the Scamp.
Scamp 16' with tongue weight of maybe 200 lbs (factor says 165 lbs appox.) & trailer appox. weight 1750, perhaps dry weight without some options. The bike weights in at 271 dry, maybe 290 wet I am guessing. 100 lbs for the Versa Hauler (98 shipping weight).
I have an ARE Cap/Topper/Shell on the pickup.

Edited by DesertHawk, 30 April 2009 - 09:26 AM.

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#2 Leehman Wexlin

Leehman Wexlin
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Local time: 02:21 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit 17
  • Interests:photography, sailing, wood working, music

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:07 AM

If you do not have a topper or cover on your new pick up I would cary the motorcycle in the back of the truck.
Opinionated but loveable.
Joan Jane Leehman

http://leehman.smugmug.com/

#3 Jerry and Wynne

Jerry and Wynne
  • Casita Club Member
  • 86 posts
  • Local time: 01:21 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:44 PM

Since you asked for opinions, I'll give you mine. I wouldn't do it. The geometry is such that you are extending the distance between the rear axel of the truck and the ball for the trailer. That has the same effect as increasing ball weight, and lightning the front end. Its the law of leverage, like using a crow bar to move a rock. I'd put the scoot in the bed of the truck. If that is impractical, you might look into putting a reciever on the front of the truck, and mount the versa up there. Such is my humble opinion.
Taylor Co Fla
'02 SD17
Ford F-150

#4 wrenchbender

wrenchbender
  • Casita Club Member
  • 47 posts
  • Local time: 10:21 AM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:14 PM

I was wondering, can a hitch be aded to the back of the casita to support a small trailer, motorcycle, jet ski, quad... and pull tandum? huh.gif
I've been thinking about it since I saw a pickup pulling a travel trailer with a boat behind the trailer.

Did some quick research. Most states will allow double towing, tandem, but the lead trailer must be on a king pin (fifth wheel). Hitch to hitch is illegal in all I've read so far. It was a thought.

Edited by wrenchbender, 28 April 2009 - 07:04 PM.

Blaine, AKA "wrenchbender"
1996 16' Casita Spirit, Limited
2005 Toyota Tundra 4WD Dble CB

#5 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts
  • Local time: 12:21 PM

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:35 AM

cool.gif Wrenchbender, rear hitches have been added to Casitas & Scamp has a hitch as an option, which I have on mine. I do have a small trailer, which I am planning on testing soon. It is legal in NM and some other states (as I understand), Texas being one if the rig is under a certain length. I found a site listed on a site for Swivelwheel Trailer. http://www.cruiserli...velwheel46.html
State by state Info: (I looked at the chart, but not sure if it states double towing or not) (Does Reciprocity mean what I believe it does, if it is legal in the state of the trailers tag, they will allow it in their state; if so I believe all of the states are listed as Yes under Reciprocity)
http://www.towingwor.../towinglaws.htm

Not sure of all the laws but I am looking into them.

I have come to believe I will use the trailer behind the Scamp and not try the VersaHaul (maybe just give it a try to see how it does) to be the way to take both. I will not be taking the bike as often it seems.

Washington State is one listed by the Swivelwheel Trailer folks as being one of 22 which does not allow double towing. But I believe it was listed as being Yes to Reciprocity. Not sure, but perhaps it would be legal for someone from say NM which does allow double towing to tow double while driving into Washington State. But one would have to give Wahington State a call asking to be sure.
The Swivelwheel folks seem to be only talking about 5th wheels, so I am still not sure how a "regular" travel trailer would fit into the question of double towing. As you stated "Hitch to hitch is illegal in all I've read so far" makes me feel less likely to be able to take my bike with me as I had hoped to many places. Oh, well....the best laid plans of mice and men!

Edited by DesertHawk, 30 April 2009 - 09:49 AM.

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp