#31 cdsmith

cdsmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,458 posts
  • Local time: 12:38 AM

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE (jfor @ Aug 1 2009, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (cdsmith @ Mar 6 2009, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have 3 of the Walmart 8" mattresses. Two in the house and 1 in the Casita. Love them because they are easy on the back. If you have to remove it from your Casita (repair pump, etc.) you will need a very strong friend as they are a bear to fold. Much less expensive than Southern.

I just phoned two Walmarts and they don't seem to know anything about these mattresses. Do you remember what they called them?

Sorry I didn't get back to you quickly.

These mattresses are only 'online order'.

Walmart Memory Foam Mattresses
Joyce and Charlie Smith, Princess Lily, Rose, and Violet - Grand Prairie, TX
RV: 1999 SD "The Little Egg"
TV: 2007 Escalade 2WD 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
Brake Control: Dexter Predator DX-2

#32 Sandy W

Sandy W
  • Rally Organizer
  • 238 posts
  • Local time: 01:38 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:none
  • Interests:My grandkids! Like to go camping.

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (cdsmith @ Aug 3 2009, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (jfor @ Aug 1 2009, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (cdsmith @ Mar 6 2009, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have 3 of the Walmart 8" mattresses. Two in the house and 1 in the Casita. Love them because they are easy on the back. If you have to remove it from your Casita (repair pump, etc.) you will need a very strong friend as they are a bear to fold. Much less expensive than Southern.

I just phoned two Walmarts and they don't seem to know anything about these mattresses. Do you remember what they called them?

Sorry I didn't get back to you quickly.

These mattresses are only 'online order'.

Walmart Memory Foam Mattresses

Which size did you order? Queen size?
Sandy

#33 cdsmith

cdsmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:01 PM

If that question is for me, I have three, all ordered form WalMart online.

Two doubles, one for the Casita 17' SD and one for the guest bedroom in the house.

One king size for my own bedroom in the house.

I had an L4-L5 surgery in 2006 and another one in 2007. I could never get a good nights sleep until we bought the double for the Casita. After a weeks trip and sleeping on the memory foam, when we returned home I immediately purchased the two for the house. Now I sleep great.
Joyce and Charlie Smith, Princess Lily, Rose, and Violet - Grand Prairie, TX
RV: 1999 SD "The Little Egg"
TV: 2007 Escalade 2WD 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
Brake Control: Dexter Predator DX-2

#34 Beth

Beth
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 09:38 PM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:45 PM

4" memory foam from Wallmart, it comes with a zip cover. We put it on top of the trailer cushions. I'm a princess and the pea type of girl and I can honestly say, best camping sleep ever!!! We like the back table of the dinette up during the day so we just bundle the foam out to the van. All done by the time the coffee press is ready to press...

#35 TerriJoL

TerriJoL
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 Liberty Deluxe 17'
  • Interests:I love exploring, learning, getting to know new people, outdoors, reading, gardening, finding treasures in junk shops, teaching and cooking. That's how I feel TODAY! Who knows what tomorrow will bring!

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:25 AM

QUOTE (Dann and Karan @ Mar 6 2009, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Elisa,
You didn't say what state you were in. We live in Irving, Texas and found a place in Fort Worth that made us a mattress. It is a 6inch piece foam. They used the cushions for the pattern. The company put a cover on it too. The name of the company is The Orginial Mattress Factory. We really like our new mattress.
Some RV's uses the foam toppers from WalMart. Some have ordered mattress from Southern Mattress in California.
I hope this will help you out.

Dann and Karan
16' FD 2007

Dan and Karan,

Do you remember about how much they charged you? I am thinking of a queen mattress for my Liberty Deluxe. Thanks for your help! TerriJ7610@aol.com

Terri

#36 playared

playared
  • Casita Club Member
  • 212 posts
  • Local time: 10:38 PM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

We had an interspring mattress custom made to fit our 2002 SD. It is about 10" thick. It is very comfortable.

However, it is a bear to get in and out. I just took it out to work on things under the bed area. I got it out by myself with a lot of effort and rest periods.

#37 DirtDawg

DirtDawg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 312 posts
  • Local time: 09:38 PM

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:32 PM

Bringing up this old thread again is timely, having slept on Casita cushions 20 nights so far since I picked up in Rice April 28. I prefer a firmer bed but the cushions are too hard for me. My "ideal" was/is to order a Southern Mattress, so I called this week for current pricing. I also asked how much add'l to make as a 2-piece unit split at waist level for ease of handling and cabinet access. Their prices are listed below but the deal breaker for me is shipping to SoCal. Even at business-to-business rate or picking up at local freight terminal, cost would be $181 in addition to the mattress!

5" HDF (high density foam) only / no memory foam $475
6" HDF only / no memory foam $505
4" HDF / 2" memory foam $570
5" HDF / 2" memory foam $595
Built as 2-piece mattress - add $25 to above prices

Edited by DirtDawg, 06 June 2010 - 03:20 PM.

"DirtDawg" Jeff
Payson, AZ

2011 Lance 1685 - DawgHouse III

2010 17 SD - DawgHouse II (sold)
2014 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 6.2L
2000 Jeep "TJ" Wrangler

#38 JudyinWis

JudyinWis
  • Casita Club Member
  • 172 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:35 AM

I've been pondering how to get a thicker king size mattress covering the cracks between cushions in the process, and without having to lug something in and out of our LD when we set up the table. The scheme I have come up with is this:

As you may remember, the Liberty gives you the options of a king size bed oriented front to back, a table for 2 in front of a double bed oriented side to side, and a table for 6 with no bed. I suspect that we are like the overwhelming majority of Casita owners in never having used the table for 6 set-up. We may well be unlike most LD owners in orienting ourselves with our head toward the front and feet toward the back when in the king size bed, reasoning this arrangement gives the best chance of one of us being able to use the bathroom at night without disturbing the other.

So, I remembered I have a double bed size piece of 1 & 1/2 inch thick egg crate foam, and figured we don't need any extra padding below our knees. I've always used an old flannel duvet for a queen size quilt as the permanent bottom sheet that gets folded back when we set up the table. The double bed foam piece fits nicely side to side into the open end of the duvet, giving us extra padding under shoulders and hips across the full width of the bed. In the morning the closed end of the duvet can accept a fold so as to allow me to slide of the foam portion down over the foot of the bed.

It should be possible to use a thicker piece of foam, though that would make its absence under the ankles more noticeable. It should also be possible to just use a covered piece of foam on top of bare cushions, which would make it easier to slide around when making up and taking down the bed. On the other hand, laundering the cover is probably less work with the duvet arrangement, and the cushions under our feet remain protected.

Judy

#39 Indy-hp

Indy-hp
  • Casita Club Member
  • 333 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

I find a solid slab of memory foam too firm for me, but we added one of these 4" Spring Thera-P foam toppers (by HoMedics) to the 4" cushions in our SD and have been amazed at how comfortable it is. We sleep as well in the Casita as we do at home on our expensive S & F mattress. This 4" topper is made of memory foam, but is made of foam "springs" rather than a solid slab. At first I was reluctant to try it because of the price, but it has been worth every penny and then some.

http://www.bedbathan...s...SKU=118761
Henry & Debbie
2010 Honda Ridgeline

#40 fireboat

fireboat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 15 posts
  • Local time: 10:38 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE (Indy-hp @ Jun 15 2010, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I find a solid slab of memory foam too firm for me, but we added one of these 4" Spring Thera-P foam toppers (by HoMedics) to the 4" cushions in our SD and have been amazed at how comfortable it is. We sleep as well in the Casita as we do at home on our expensive S & F mattress. This 4" topper is made of memory foam, but is made of foam "springs" rather than a solid slab. At first I was reluctant to try it because of the price, but it has been worth every penny and then some.

http://www.bedbathan...s...SKU=118761

Just wondering if you purchased the full mattress or queen. We have been looking for alternatives for our Casita. Right now we just have a piece of memory foam over the cushons. My wifes back doesn't seem to like it. We are considering the Southern Mattress but this might be a reasonable alternative.

#41 Indy-hp

Indy-hp
  • Casita Club Member
  • 333 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (fireboat @ Jun 19 2010, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just wondering if you purchased the full mattress or queen. We have been looking for alternatives for our Casita. Right now we just have a piece of memory foam over the cushons. My wifes back doesn't seem to like it. We are considering the Southern Mattress but this might be a reasonable alternative.
The overall length and width of the bed in a 17' SD Casita is within an inch of full size, so we bought the full.

In the interest of full disclosure, we also bought a full 2" fiber-fill topper to go on top of the memory foam topper. http://www.bedbathan...s...amp;RN=560

The result is about 10" of jury-rigged mattress goodness consisting of a 4" firm foam Casita-cushion base, 4" of springy memory foam, and 2" of plain padding. My wife has a bad back and likes a supportive mattress, and I like a "cushy" but supportve mattress, and we are both very happy with this arrangement.

Edited by Indy-hp, 21 June 2010 - 01:29 PM.

Henry & Debbie
2010 Honda Ridgeline