• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 JerryC

JerryC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 561 posts
  • Local time: 10:19 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 ID
  • Interests:Sightseeing, Hiking, Geocaching, Hot Air Ballooning, Touring this great country in our Casita.

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:29 AM

Just thought I would move this over here where it belonged. It answers some previous questions in the thread.

http://www.casitaclu...p...3&hl=sheets

Jerry & Wanda
2016 ID
Deep South
Sometimes home, but mostly gone
http://eggrollings.blogspot.com/

#17 Dave&Kathie

Dave&Kathie
  • Casita Club Member
  • 310 posts
  • Local time: 07:19 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Escape 21
  • Interests:Woodworking, Photography, Gardening Birdwatching, Sewing, Astronomy, & Camping!

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:18 AM

FWIW, we also thought the cushions were too hard after a few nights but we wanted the flexibility of setting up the big dinette to invite company in for dinner or visiting - since we do a lot of camping here in the Pacific North'wet' it was a real consideration for us. So, we opted for a queen size Aerobed which we put on top of the cushions - it's very comfortable this way (sort of like a sleep number bed but it only has one number laugh.gif ). Put a Travasack on top and you're done. When company comes for breakfast, like last weekend at Cape Disappointment , takes us just a few minutes to roll everything up and throw it in the back of the TV. Good luck in your search for a good nights sleep!
Happy Trails
wink.gif Kathie

Dave & Kathie
Portland, OR
05 17' FD, 06 V8 Ltd 4Runner
"I do not understand how anyone can live without some small place of enchantment to turn to."
MK Rawlings

#18 thetravelkids

thetravelkids
  • Casita Club Member
  • 337 posts
  • Casita Club Directory #:2583

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:16 PM

We went a different route with KC instead of a mattress topper or the custom Southern mattress. Just didn't like the lumpy feel of the cushions in our SD, so we bought a futon mattress. Opened up the seams on the two curvey corners, trimmed a bit and sewed them back up again. Really comfy, not rock hard and easy to get it in and out of da egg! Maybe you'll come up with something better.
Oh, we also took out the table top as a support. Got some wood slats and webbing to make a support. Even gives you more storage under the bed since you don't have the pedestal support to deal with.
Hope this helps and happy camping,
Pat

Bob & Pat

2021 Winnebago Minnie 2529RG
2012 Evergreen Element ET26SLR - "Ms Ellie" put to rest
2007 Casita 17' SD, gone but not forgotten
2018 Ford Expedition XLT
Visit us at www.katrinacasita.wordpress.com

#19 Dann and Karan

Dann and Karan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 245 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe- 16'

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:17 PM

Tony, Sorry to take so long answering you. Yes we kept the cushions.
We have them stored in the spare room in a plastic bag. We could reuse
them if we had to.

Karan

#20 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (Don @ Mar 7 2009, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We tried the cushions, a topper, double toppers, an air mattress (not bad), and then a dual density non-memory foam custom mattress. The foam mattress was the answer for us. Since we did not opt to have it covered the cost was $225. Recently we decided to do the $80 cover thing and here is a photo of it - "in waiting" We have been tinting the windows and putting up curtains - should get the mattress back into the egg early next week.

Don

Don, I've not been extremely happy with sleeping on the cushions in the Casita since buying it. The longest I've spent in the Casita was 17 days and was getting pretty tired of the cushions by the time we got home. So probably my next major purchase for the Casita will be a mattress. I noticed you bought a dual density non-memory foam mattress. I know where to go to get a foam mattress made, but what, specifically, should I be looking for when it comes to the dual density "numbers"? Are there specific hardness ratings or something like that?

Chris

Chris
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe pulled with a White 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS.

Visit My Website

#21 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Local time: 09:19 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (Chris C @ Jun 10 2009, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don, <snip> I noticed you bought a dual density non-memory foam mattress. I know where to go to get a foam mattress made, but what, specifically, should I be looking for when it comes to the dual density "numbers"? Are there specific hardness ratings or something like that?
Chris

Chris, my invoice shows 4" of #1234 foam and 4" of #1821 foam. Not sure if those are industry standard numbers or just some that are used by the place that manufactured my mattresses. Will give them a call tomorrow and try to get some more info.

Oh - don't forget to put it in the egg soft side up (LOL) - we didn't the first try it was almost a hard as the OEM cushions!

Don

Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#22 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:27 PM

Don't worry, Don, I'm getting to "that age" where soft is too important to mistake!

Chris

Visit My Website

#23 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:37 AM

OK Chris - here are the numbers.

Soft layer - 1.5 density, 34 pounds compression.

Support layer - 1.8 density, 21 pounds compression.

Cory said those were industry numbers so they should be understood by anyone in the industry.

Happy dreams! Don
Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.

#24 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE (Don @ Jun 11 2009, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK Chris - here are the numbers.

Soft layer - 1.5 density, 34 pounds compression.

Support layer - 1.8 density, 21 pounds compression.

Cory said those were industry numbers so they should be understood by anyone in the industry.

Happy dreams! Don

Thanks, Don. I'll check it out. Guess you just made a cardboard template for the foam people, correct?

Chris

Visit My Website

#25 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE (Chris C @ Jun 11 2009, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks, Don. I'll check it out. Guess you just made a cardboard template for the foam people, correct?

Am sure that would work but I just took my egg to them and they 'cut to fit'.
Don

#26 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (Don @ Jun 11 2009, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Chris C @ Jun 11 2009, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Am sure that would work but I just took my egg to them and they 'cut to fit'.
Don

Hmmmmm! Hadn't thought of that!

Chris

Visit My Website

#27 poultryman

poultryman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 29 posts
  • Local time: 08:19 PM

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:40 AM

Liked our Southern Mattress so much for the Casita that we purchased one for the master bedroom. Have not been sorry and sleep great both home and on the road.

#28 jfor

jfor
  • Casita Club Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (cdsmith @ Mar 6 2009, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have 3 of the Walmart 8" mattresses. Two in the house and 1 in the Casita. Love them because they are easy on the back. If you have to remove it from your Casita (repair pump, etc.) you will need a very strong friend as they are a bear to fold. Much less expensive than Southern.

I just phoned two Walmarts and they don't seem to know anything about these mattresses. Do you remember what they called them?

2009 SD HLA; '06 TOYOTA 4RUNNER 4X4, 6 CYL, TOWING PKG.

#29 jfor

jfor
  • Casita Club Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (poultryman @ Jun 13 2009, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Liked our Southern Mattress so much for the Casita that we purchased one for the master bedroom. Have not been sorry and sleep great both home and on the road.

What kind of foam is in your mattress? Memory Foam smells funny to me. Maybe it's polyurethane?
Thanks,
Jody
2009 SD HLA; '06 TOYOTA 4RUNNER 4X4, 6 CYL, TOWING PKG.

#30 Ken C

Ken C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 455 posts
  • Local time: 11:19 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' SD
  • Interests:Kayaking, canoeing
  • Casita Club Directory #:1749

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:16 AM

I just phoned two Walmarts and they don't seem to know anything about these mattresses. Do you remember what they called them?
[/quote]

I have the 8" Walmart mattress and I believe it is an order online item only. You can have it shipped to your local store for free. I used an electric knife to round the back corners to fit.
Ken C

2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Bed, 2005 Casita 17' "Spirit Deluxe"