• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Elisa Dale

Elisa Dale
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 12:17 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:28 PM

Can anyone tell me what kind of matress topper works best? My husband wants to find an upholsterer to custom make something that will work for our Freedom Deluxe. I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Maybe someone has a thriving at-home business making Casita mattresses? Please share what works or has not worked for you. (The Casita cushions are too hard a bed for me and the 2" memory foam pad I was using slides around too much and pulls the sheets off and my husband hates it.) We will be living in the Casita probably half of next year, so need some help ASAP!
Thanks!
Elisa

#2 Dann and Karan

Dann and Karan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 245 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe- 16'

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

Elisa,
You didn't say what state you were in. We live in Irving, Texas and found a place in Fort Worth that made us a mattress. It is a 6inch piece foam. They used the cushions for the pattern. The company put a cover on it too. The name of the company is The Orginial Mattress Factory. We really like our new mattress.
Some RV's uses the foam toppers from WalMart. Some have ordered mattress from Southern Mattress in California.
I hope this will help you out.

Dann and Karan
16' FD 2007

#3 Ken J

Ken J
  • Casita Club Member
  • 48 posts
  • Local time: 10:17 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:29 PM

I need to do something about a mattress too - I'm leaning toward the 8 in walmart mattress - but wondering if anyone has had a custom spring mattress made - seems like it would be really hard to get it in the trailer...

Ken J.

#4 Matt

Matt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy reading, mostly biographies and history, but also a good novel, and even crime stories.<br />I've been hiking in Big Bend National Park since 1983, and have visited every US state. <br />Foreign travel includes all Western European countries except Belgium. I've also visited the Balkans and several eastern countries. I've been to Vietnam, China, Central America, and much of the Caribbean. <br />I love my Casita and have been from coast to coast and Mexico to Canada in the short time I've owned her. <br />In the past year I've slowed down after being diagnosed with stage III Follicular B cell lymphoma. I'm not officially in remission but am done with CHOPS and am doing Rituxen which is working to hold the beast back.

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:33 PM

Google "Southern Mattress"
They custom make a very good mattress to fit the contour of Casita.
It ain't cheap but it's very good. We've never been sorry we spent the money. I think with shipping it was about $600.
M
Matt & Virginia Kline

Nueces Bay (Near Taft/Portland, Texas)
2008 17SD
2010 Ford 150 Lariat

#5 cdsmith

cdsmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:46 PM

I have 3 of the Walmart 8" mattresses. Two in the house and 1 in the Casita. Love them because they are easy on the back. If you have to remove it from your Casita (repair pump, etc.) you will need a very strong friend as they are a bear to fold. Much less expensive than Southern.

Joyce and Charlie Smith, Princess Lily, Rose, and Violet - Grand Prairie, TX
RV: 1999 SD "The Little Egg"
TV: 2007 Escalade 2WD 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
Brake Control: Dexter Predator DX-2

#6 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Local time: 11:17 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:27 AM

We tried the cushions, a topper, double toppers, an air mattress (not bad), and then a dual density non-memory foam custom mattress. The foam mattress was the answer for us. Since we did not opt to have it covered the cost was $225. Recently we decided to do the $80 cover thing and here is a photo of it - "in waiting" We have been tinting the windows and putting up curtains - should get the mattress back into the egg early next week.
In_waiting.JPG

Here is a picture store of our saga to get a good nights sleep.
http://tinyurl.com/5tkqqt

Don

Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#7 JerryC

JerryC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 561 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 ID
  • Interests:Sightseeing, Hiking, Geocaching, Hot Air Ballooning, Touring this great country in our Casita.

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:15 PM

We have the Casita mattress from Southern Mattress in North Carolina, with custom fitted sheets from ablifestyles.com. You may do as well with something else like the walmart mattress or a custom from a local builder, but I don't believe you can do any better. We LOVE out bed in the Casita biggrin.gif

Jerry & Wanda
2016 ID
Deep South
Sometimes home, but mostly gone
http://eggrollings.blogspot.com/

#8 FakeHipBob

FakeHipBob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:08 AM

Jerry,

Tried ablifestyles.com, but came up empty on the sheets. Its hitting a Go Daddy generic site? Any clarification you can provide?

UPDATE: Sorry Jerry, found your original post, and the link:
http://www.ablifesty...ding/Categories

Bob

Edited by FakeHipBob, 12 March 2009 - 05:29 AM.

Bob Johnson
'01 Jeep Wrangler - '08 FD 16' HLA

#9 KandJ

KandJ
  • Casita Club Member
  • 506 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' FD
  • Trailer Name:Humpty Dumpty

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE (Ken J @ Mar 6 2009, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I need to do something about a mattress too - I'm leaning toward the 8 in walmart mattress - but wondering if anyone has had a custom spring mattress made - seems like it would be really hard to get it in the trailer...

Ken J.

You will not be able to bend a spring mattress to get it the trailer. It is difficult to get a mattress in, even a foam one. Don't even try. When we bought or Casita in 2006 we took it to Alaska and spent 88 days in it. Even with a foam topper the cushions were breaking down where our hips and shoulders were positioned. The next year we bought a Southern Mattress and have never looked back. It depends on how much time you will be spending sleeping in it and keeping the Casita.

Keith

2006 17' FD
2003 Ranger 4X4 Ext Cab 4 liter

Our Travels

AVE IMPERATOR MORITVRI TE SALVTANT

#10 Ken J

Ken J
  • Casita Club Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:03 AM

You will not be able to bend a spring mattress to get it the trailer. It is difficult to get a mattress in, even a foam one. Don't even try. When we bought or Casita in 2006 we took it to Alaska and spent 88 days in it. Even with a foam topper the cushions were breaking down where our hips and shoulders were positioned. The next year we bought a Southern Mattress and have never looked back. It depends on how much time you will be spending sleeping in it and keeping the Casita.

Keith
[/quote]

Thanks Keith - thats what I determined - I'm going to try the Walmart mattress - we don't spend 88 days in the trailer a year - so will see how it works out - if the mattress starts to fail, off to Southern we will go - how many days have you used the Southern mattress and is it holding up?

Ken J

#11 Colorado Kathi

Colorado Kathi
  • Casita Club Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (JerryC @ Mar 7 2009, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have the Casita mattress from Southern Mattress in North Carolina, with custom fitted sheets from ablifestyles.com. You may do as well with something else like the walmart mattress or a custom from a local builder, but I don't believe you can do any better. We LOVE out bed in the Casita biggrin.gif

Did you have the sheets custom made to fit the curve in the wall or did you order the RV sheets they have available? Thanks.
Colorado Kathi
2003 17' SD
1996 Chevy Silverado

#12 RX

RX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,366 posts
  • Local time: 01:17 AM
  • Interests:Sunshades now in a Blue-Grey color
  • Casita Club Directory #:1021

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:01 PM

Ken" We had our Southern Mattress made in 2001 and it still feels just as it did when we got it. Best money we have spent and the best sleeping comfort we have had. Just my opinion and experience.

Attached Images

• southern_mattress.jpg

Terry (RX) & Susan
Eastern North Carolina
Casita 2005 Freedom/Spirit Deluxe
Tundra, 5.7 2008

Custom Casita Sunshades, tie downs
Sunsahde items for awnings now made in Sea Blue

#13 Ken J

Ken J
  • Casita Club Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:00 AM

Thanks - thats good to know......

#14 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:03 PM

OK - it was time to get the newly covered $305 mattress back into the Egg Motel.

Some cheap slave labor - NOT!
240_Slave_or_very_expensive_labor.JPG

Well it is mostly in the door.
250_This_might_work.JPG

Just a little bit more.
270_Just_a_little_bit_more.JPG

Still fits well.
290_Still_fits_well___a_little_room_for_the_sheets.JPG

She seems to like it.310_She_thinks_it_is_a_good_thing.JPG

Don

Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#15 renaissance man 72

renaissance man 72
  • Casita Club Member
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:camping( of course) at parks and renaissance festivals,hiking,fishing,travel (in an egg or a plane)flea markets,customizing my trailer when home,going to the lake or beach.

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:35 AM

QUOTE (Dann and Karan @ Mar 6 2009, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Elisa,
You didn't say what state you were in. We live in Irving, Texas and found a place in Fort Worth that made us a mattress. It is a 6inch piece foam. They used the cushions for the pattern. The company put a cover on it too. The name of the company is The Orginial Mattress Factory. We really like our new mattress.
Some RV's uses the foam toppers from WalMart. Some have ordered mattress from Southern Mattress in California.
I hope this will help you out.

Dann and Karan
16' FD 2007

Hello, I was wondering if you kept your cushions when you did your upgrade. I have a trailer with the older pattern and am looking for replacement cushions which have been changed with the new designs. Thanks,Tony aka renaissance man 72 ( ibelinknight72@yahoo.com)