• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts
  • Local time: 01:33 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:40 PM

On July 16, 1945 the world changed. At 5:30 a.m. at an isolated spot on the north end of what is now White Sands Missile Range, the first atomic bomb was exploded.

The missile range opens Trinity Site to the public twice a year, the first Saturday in April and the first Saturday in October. The next Trinity Site Open House will be held on Oct. 4.

There are two ways to get into Trinity Site on Oct. 4. The most flexible is to enter the range through the Stallion Range Center gate located five miles south of U.S. Highway 380. The turnoff is 12 miles east of San Antonio, N.M., and 53 miles west of Carrizozo, N.M. The Stallion gate is open during each open house from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The other way to attend the open house is to drive in with the caravan organized by the Alamogordo Chamber of Commerce. The caravan forms at the Tularosa High School parking lot in Tularosa, starting at 7 a.m. and leaves at 8 a.m. It is an 85-mile drive to the site from Tularosa and there are no services on the route or at the site. The caravan is led by White Sands personnel once it gets onto the missile range. It is scheduled to leave for the return trip between 12:30 and 1 p.m.

All adults must show a photo ID when entering the missile range. All vehicles are subject to search and should be carrying proof of insurance and current registration papers.

There are no ceremonies or speakers at the site. Food and souvenirs are sold at the site. For more information, call the White Sands Missile Range public affairs office at (575) 678-1134.

http://www.lcsun-new...ce=most_emailed

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#2 Kyle

Kyle
  • Casita Club Member
  • 61 posts
  • Local time: 01:33 PM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:47 PM

I did this for the first time last year and HIGHLY recommend it. When they say no services - there just isn't much there. A few tents selling some food and a couple of informational stands. No "tours" or other guided information.

It is AMAZING to stand at ground 0. It just is. If you look around carefully you can still find small pieces of trinitite (atomic glass). Don't try to take any home as they have towers set up with guards watching the visitors. I did pick up a couple of pieces, but after checking them out dropped them.

If your in the area and can do it, I highly recommend it.

No camping there, but there are decent campgrounds in "range". Valley of Fires comes to mind as well as the Lincoln National Forrest.

-Kyle

Edited by Kyle, 18 September 2008 - 08:49 PM.

#3 Patrick M.

Patrick M.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 571 posts
  • Local time: 12:33 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe 17' 2007

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE (Kyle @ Sep 18 2008, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't try to take any home as they have towers set up with guards watching the visitors.
Oops. ohmy.gif

Trinity is well worth a visit. Although we somehow missed visiting the house near the site where the scientists worked, I do have a Trinity coffee mug! The museum at the nearby? White Sands Missile Range is also very informative, with many atomic bomb exhibits, as I recall.

Edited by Patrick M., 19 September 2008 - 07:07 AM.

Pat and Marilyn
2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe (Sold June 2011) & Honda Odyssey
Don't anthropomorphize your trailer - it doesn't like it.