Photo

Stained glass window source for entry door wanted.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 campnagle

campnagle
  • Casita Club Member
  • 701 posts
  • Local time: 08:16 PM
  • Interests:RV-ing, Treasure hunting,Nature walking,Hiking,Biking, doing projects on RV

Posted 04 May 2008 - 05:33 AM

Am looking for a stained glass window source for the entry door glass. I googled and found the "glass lady" but is over $300 and art and shipping fees. Ranger Duke bought one in Yuma and paid I think $140. They are just beautiful and I want to find a source. That bathroom looking door glass has got to go. I did find some window clings but will not work on a outside glass. Here is a link but I want a southwest theme.

rv stained glass

Camp Nagle
07 17' LD "MONSOON"
14 Silverado LT 4WD 5.3 V8
GREAT STATE OF ARIZONA

#2 Bob

Bob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 574 posts
  • Local time: 09:16 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1317

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:05 PM

Camp Nagle,

I've talked to people who have found stained glass windows for RVs in Mexico. I have no idea exactly where or how much. Good luck!
  • Bob&Shawn likes this
Bob and Peggy
Bigfoot 17CB, had Casita 17SD
'05 Jeep GC Limited 4.7L V8
Sierra Nevada (hills)

#3 campnagle

campnagle
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 701 posts
  • Interests:RV-ing, Treasure hunting,Nature walking,Hiking,Biking, doing projects on RV

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:25 AM

Here is an option I found on e-bay but they only have two choices.
entry door glass option

Camp Nagle
07 17' LD "MONSOON"
GREAT STATE OF ARIZONA

#4 Chris B

Chris B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 472 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:02 PM

Try this:

http://www.rvstainedglass.com/
Chris B
'03 17' Liberty Deluxe
2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
Southern California (Orange County)

#5 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,386 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:20 AM

Here is another.

Stained Glass by Eddie

If you reverse the door glass so the smooth side is inside, could you then use window clings? These window cling inserts aren't cheap but are less than real stained glass.

Edited by Carol Christensen, 09 May 2008 - 01:42 PM.

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#6 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Local time: 10:16 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (campnagle @ May 4 2008, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am looking for a stained glass window source for the entry door glass. I googled and found the "glass lady" but is over $300 and art and shipping fees. Ranger Duke bought one in Yuma and paid I think $140.
<snip>

Another alternative is to Do It Yourself could be the start of a great hobby or even a source of income you might specialize in making stained glass windows for the doors of all our eggs. anim_rofl.gif Here are a couple of interesting links:

DIY info
http://tinyurl.com/5jlt9l

Patterns
http://tinyurl.com/6cbswf

Don

Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#7 Bill and Ann C.

Bill and Ann C.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 143 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Creekside 20FQ

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:24 AM

I am a fellow Casita owner of five years. I have designed and constructed stained glass panels for 15 years. I would be interested in offering my services to fellow Casita owners who wish to have a window for their little houses. I construct the panels and Bill does the framework. I am attaching a picture of some of my work. A home business in the making? I have never posted a picture before, so excuse my first attempt.

Ann

horse.jpg FrontDoorPanel.JPG

Double click on a picture to better see the types of glass used. I have use both foil for the intricate sections of the pictures and came for the framing.

Bill and Ann
Little House Stained Glass
www.littlehousestainedglass.com

#8 campnagle

campnagle
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 701 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:52 PM

My new stained glass door window, I also changed to a white frame. I checked several sources but Kathy at RV stained glass was great and seemed to have the most experience with the RV application. Inside looking out is just beautiful and I know I'll have hummingbirds come to it.

Camp Nagle
07 17' LD "MONSOON"
GREAT STATE OF ARIZONA

#9 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts
  • Local time: 11:16 PM
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:50 PM

That's a beautiful stained glass entry panel. But aren't stained glass panels easy to push in? I'd think they'd make forced entry possible by even a 5 year old. blink.gif

Edited by Chris C, 16 May 2008 - 01:50 PM.

Chris
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe pulled with a White 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS.

Visit My Website

#10 Bill and Ann C.

Bill and Ann C.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 01:20 PM

I have been doing some research and given some thought to preparing a panel for a smaller RV like our Casitas.

Alot of the larger RVs, or motorhomes, have windows that are out of reach of the public. They can't be touched by someone passing by the motorhome. Also, they don't have the same amount of vibration that our little trailers would have.

Chris C's post is exactly right. How do you make the panel secure and more stable.

I went to the hardware store this morning looking for polycarbonate panels. What I found would be perfect for the Casita. The polycarbonate is 20 times stronger than glass, is clear and comes in different thickness'. If a piece was placed over the beautiful red star (campnagle), it would provide protection from stray rocks, inquisitive children, etc. If the polycarbonate was ever damaged, it could be easily and inexpensively removed and replaced.

There are other issues regarding stability of the glass, but I thought the use of inexpensive polycarbonate might be of interest to those who already have stained glass panels for their trailers.

Bill and Ann

#11 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,386 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:41 AM

Love the Sunburst pattern, it's very pretty. And the change to white around the window in nice too. I just recently found a source for white trim while I was looking for something else and have been thinking of just changing the black to white.

I also like the idea of a polycarbonate panel over the stained glass for protection.

All good ideas.
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#12 RangerDuke

RangerDuke
  • Casita Club Member
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Camping, NASCAR races, DO cooking

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:07 PM

rolleyes.gif With regards to the stained window we installed on our Casita, it was purchased in Mexico. While at the Quartzite rally in January, we traveled to Yuma and from there went across the border on the California side. Just as soon as we crossed, we say the stained windows and they had plenty of different designs. They wanted $100.00 for the one we wanted but I told them I had seen another one for 95.00 so I finally got mine for 85.00. While at Quartzite, there were three or four vendors and all were asking 195.00 per window so we figured that since we had made plans on going to Yuma, we would cross the border and buy one. I installed it upon returning and have made traveled over four K miles and it is just great. By the way, we do get a lot of compliments at the various camp grounds where we stay. Hope this helps someone out. Keep on trucking and stay cool. Airborne Ranger Duke
Ranger Duke & Bev
San Antonio, Texas
2007 17'SD "Casita Bonita"
TV 2007 Nissan Frontier NE
"We B Cruzing"

#13 geri

geri
  • Casita Club Member
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Photography, travelling, writing. I will be headed to AZ from Florida in the spring of 2007. Would love to meet other Casita owners along the way.

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:17 AM

QUOTE (campnagle @ May 4 2008, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am looking for a stained glass window source for the entry door glass. I googled and found the "glass lady" but is over $300 and art and shipping fees. Ranger Duke bought one in Yuma and paid I think $140. They are just beautiful and I want to find a source. That bathroom looking door glass has got to go. I did find some window clings but will not work on a outside glass. Here is a link but I want a southwest theme.

rv stained glass

For all of you that want that stained glass look, but are concerned about the glass strength and the like, and the price is always a concern, you might want to consider a faux stained glass project! You paint it on yourself. You can find all kinds of designs online, I prefer southwest too. You find your pattern, tape it to the outside of the window facing in. You will be painting the inside glass, apply the faux lead paint over the outside lines, like making a coloring book, and let it dry overnight. Then next day go in with your colors and paint your glass! Be easier if you take the glass out of the door to paint it, but I feel it can be done vertical, still installed in the door. Here is a link to the paints:

http://www.delphigla...=...ist&stage=2

And here is a link I found from Don's reply. Gotta search it out, but about 12 rows down, on the far right, is a book called Tribal Patterns... click there and several more options come out, mostly southwestern patterns. Book #7580..... here is that link.......

http://www.glasscraf...CFRUdsgod5itdpA

At the very bottom on the right is book #cd8 with some beautiful patterns too.
So many of you are such creative people in your own right, I bet you could come up with some very cool, original ideas for a stained glass window and paint it in yourself. You paint the "lead" in first to hold the colors in that come after. It's not much harder than coloring in a coloring book actually. I have done it several times and always been pleased.
Geri

Edited by geri, 07 June 2008 - 04:20 AM.

Geri Moore
"Earthdancer"
2004 17' Spirit Deluxe
2004 Chevy TrailBlazer
The Midget (MinPin dog)
Bonkers and MoonPie (The Cats who adopted me.)

#14 Muttley

Muttley

Muttley

• Casita Club Member
  • 939 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:09 PM

There is a club here for folks that like to work stained glass. A friend of ours is a member. He made this window for our "Toy Trailer".Trailer_004.JPG
2002 SD 17 'Tinker Toy'
2010 Nissan Xterra

#15 Bill and Ann C.

Bill and Ann C.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (Muttley @ Dec 9 2008, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a club here for folks that like to work stained glass. A friend of ours is a member. He made this window for our "Toy Trailer".Trailer_004.JPG

Beautiful window!
Bill and Ann