• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts
  • Local time: 12:30 AM
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:14 AM

Boy Dave, that's really a KISS mounting setup. Looks good. Glad it's working for you.

Chris
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe pulled with a White 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS.

Visit My Website

#17 simpleman

simpleman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 338 posts
  • Local time: 09:30 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:37 AM

It is the KISS principal and cheap $2.00.I have left it up while towing.The bungee at the bottom was to keep it steady when towing. I am going to redo it a little.I installed a ac outlet strip inside the cabinet and I use the antenna output on the backside of the amp.
Dave

#18 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:13 PM

Well, as a furniture artist it's my nature to over-engineer and make everything overly complicated and I'm sure I'll end up doing just that with this project. biggrin.gif I promise to show a picture when I get it completed. But don't expect something simple, that's for sure. wink.gif

Chris

Visit My Website

#19 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Local time: 11:30 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:05 PM

We have a SD and leave the rear dinette as a full time bed. So our TV is mounted for viewing from the side dinette. I first mounted it up out of the way of the microwave so it could be viewed while a meal was being prepared. Then, for us tri-focal wearers, later added a second mount for more comfortable viewing after supper for longer viewing. It is only one thumbscrew to move it from one mount to the other.

We stow the screen between the bed cushions and the sleeping pad when traveling. Here are pictures of both mounts and you can see the entire mod at the link in my signature.

Don

Upper_mount.jpg Lower_mount.jpg
Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#20 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Local time: 10:30 PM
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:34 AM

Don.....
Really nice thin television and a simple strong mount............ Looks good biggrin.gif
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#21 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (Chris C @ Mar 12 2008, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great! Now you make sure you show us some pictures.

OK, Chris -- got 'er done! Took me about an hour, not including painting the wood.

Only thing I would have done differently was to have purchased a hardwood without so much grain.
I chose oak because I knew it would be sturdy, but I didn't particularly like how it looked after spray
painting, but not enough to spend another $6.00.

My TV is hung a little lower because I also intend to use it as a PC monitor. But, if I find that's not
happening often, I'm going to raise the articulating arm a few inches, mostly for athestics.

HERE ARE THE PICS

Haven't driven with it in place yet, but that support isn't going anywhere, I can tell you that!

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#22 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:56 AM

Sorry, Eileen. I've been busy and just now noticed your post. (I'm busy building a hall table for a furniture art show.) Thanks for the pix. Very simple solution to the problem. I think you'll be glad you used Oak. It has a much higher resistance to flexing than some other wood species you might have chosen. I'm interested in how well you find it holds up to the stresses of towing. I assumed you were going to use a wider piece of wood, as I'm planning on doing, but if it works for you................well then fine!!!!!

Chris

Visit My Website

#23 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:13 AM

Took the Casita back to the storage yard this morning and the brace held up just fine. No problem there. Since the width of the wood exceeds the width of the brace, I don't think you'd need to go wider.

Only thing I need to do now is figure out a way to keep the TV from 'articulating' while I'm moving, but that shouldn't be a big deal. I temporarily used a velcro strap, but that isn't a long-term solution.

About 15 years ago, I also did a bunch of furniture building (and used oak). My favorite was a clock I made from koa. I come from a long line of carpenters and woodworkers. Post of picture of your table when you're finished. Love to see it.

Eileen

#24 frosin

frosin
  • Casita Club Member
  • 672 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:43 AM

Eileen-

I think it looks great. I finished mine a couple of days ago. Since mine is only a 15" I was able to hang it from the bottom of the cabinet. It only weighs 7 lbs.

If you don't have one already, I bought a progressive scan DVD the other day for $30 at Wal Mart (Magnavox). The DVD player feels like it weighs about 6 ounces, so I mounted it under the cabinet just left of the TV with 2 1.5 inch wide strips of Industrial Strength Velcro. Easy top put up; easy to take down.

Fred
Fred and Mary
'99 17' SD
2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
San Antonio, Texas

"The Road Goes On Forever and the Party Never Ends". Robert Earl Keen

#25 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:46 AM

I'll do that, Eileen...............but in the mean time, here's a link to some of the pieces I've made in the last couple of years. http://s8.photobucke...s/a31/Chris623/ and the password, if asked, is 22747.

Edited by Chris C, 17 March 2008 - 12:07 PM.

Chris

Visit My Website

#26 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:35 AM

Fred --

Fortunately, the DVD player is a built-in on this TV. Otherwise, I'd be headin' over to Wal-Mart!

I am thinking that the Industrial Strength Velcro might be the solution I need to hold 'er down
while in transit.

Chris --

OMG! WOW! Beautiful stuff...loved the contemporary tables, especially. You do terrific work!
Wish you were my neighbor. Keep posting those photos.

Eileen

Edited by ArizonaEileen, 18 March 2008 - 02:37 AM.

#27 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:10 AM

Thanks for the "flowers"! I post as I finish each piece, so keep the link.

Still haven't quite decided how I'm going to handle the monitor mount..............but I'm a-thinkin' on it! biggrin.gif

Chris

Visit My Website

#28 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:36 PM

I know it's been a long time since I commented on this subject, but I finally got around to mounting my LCD Screen today. I don't know why, but I'm not able to post pictures of it from my Photobucket site. So, if you're interested, here's a link to the site:

http://s8.photobucke...s/a31/Chris623/

The password is 22747. Just click on LCD TV Installation to see the pics. Click on them individually, as there are descriptions under the pics.

Edited by Chris C, 08 May 2008 - 09:50 PM.

Chris

Visit My Website

#29 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:20 AM

Hey Chris --

Looks great! Nice job. Love the color you stained the wood.

For heavier TVs, I definitely think this is the way to go.

Eileen

QUOTE (Chris C @ May 8 2008, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know it's been a long time since I commented on this subject, but I finally got around to mounting my LCD Screen today. I don't know why, but I'm not able to post pictures of it from my Photobucket site. So, if you're interested, here's a link to the site:

http://s8.photobucke...s/a31/Chris623/

The password is 22747. Just click on LCD TV Installation to see the pics. Click on them individually, as there are descriptions under the pics.

#30 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:00 AM

Thanks Eileen. Actually there's no stain on the wood. That's the natural color of Red Oak when finished in clear. I chose the piece of wood because I thought it light enough in color it would finish up the same color as the rest of the interior pieces. Unfortunately, it turned out much more red..........................which is typical for Red Oak! dry.gif

Not sure I like all the exposed wiring. I plan on taking it apart and channeling the wiring behind the wood and out along the articulating arm somehow....................but that's a project for later, after our trip. After all, trips come first!!!!!!! (goin on a trip, goin on a trip!)anim_bannana.gif

Chris

Visit My Website