How to mount?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts
  • Local time: 11:49 PM
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:17 AM

I've got my new HDLCD-TV.........and bought an articulated mounting arm for it. Originally I had planned on mounting it on the bottom of the upper cabinets...............but the more I played with positioning, the more I think I want to mount it on the wall back in the corner under the hookups. Any suggestions as to how to do a sturdy mount to the wall without penetrating the trailers exterior?

Chris
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe pulled with a White 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS.

Visit My Website

#2 frosin

frosin
  • Casita Club Member
  • 672 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:24 AM

Chris-

I'm in the process of mounting a new HDTV in my 17' Spirit Deluxe. I looked at some past postings and found someone had posted that they had mounted theirs to the underside of the overhead storage cabinets in that same back corner that you mentioned. The difference between the articulating mount and the mount that the poster suggested (and I subsequently purchased) is that we used a flip down (aka FD) mount. It bolts to the underside of the rear storage compartment, and the HDTV can be flipped up out of the way when you don't need it.

The guy that posted the suggestion said that he got his from eBay from a Canadian seller for 99 cents plus $21 for shipping. I found several on eBay. I bid 99 cents on one and won the auction. I received it today via UPS. Just like the other guy's mine came in box that had been opened. The instructions and all of the hardware was there though. This mount will not only flip up/flip down; it will also swivel left/right.

The moder is Omnimount 75/100 FD Under Cabinet LCD Mount.

Fred
Fred and Mary
'99 17' SD
2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
San Antonio, Texas

"The Road Goes On Forever and the Party Never Ends". Robert Earl Keen

#3 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 08:49 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:43 AM

Funny you should mention that, Chris. I'm working on the exact same project.

What I've decided to do it cut a piece of 1" x 2" x 43" hardwood, painted white, then add sturdy metal 'L' braces at both ends. I'll place the wood up against the wall, then bolt the top brace to the underside of the cabinet and the bottom brace to the top of the bench seat.

The articulating arm will be bolted to the wood via two holes I'll pre-drill before hanging the wood.

Right now I'm in the materials-gathering stage, so until I get to the hardware store, I'm not certain of exactly what type of braces I'll be buying. I'm also considering cutting the wood to only 39" (the distance from the upper cabinet to the top of seat cushion) and use a longer brace on the bottom of the wood so the cushion won't be slightly pushed forward after the installation.

Many others in this forum have hung their articulating TV arms from underneath the cabinet, but I think my TV (at 27 lbs) is too heavy. Don't want to 'stress' the rivets holding up the cabinet.

I know some of you are wondering why I'd want to bring a Drive-In Movie screen with me...well, I'd originally bought a 17" (already on the larger side for a Casita) so I could also use it as a PC monitor. Well, it went on the fritz in less than 6 months. Sent it back to the manufacturer and they replaced it with a 19". Probably the only time in history that someone would complain about getting a bigger TV. But I don't want to buy another TV, so I'm going to make this one work. Nice part is that I'll definitely be able to watch TV from the 'far end' of the trailer.

If my plan works, I'll take pictures to post.

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#4 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:04 PM

Thanks, Fred, but my TV is way too big to fold up under the cabinet. It's a 19" Sanyo.

Eileen, I'm thinking along the same lines as you. I thought I'd make an "L" bracket out of 1/4 aluminum plate and attach that to the bottom of the upper cabinet.............let the long leg go down the wall and actually end up hooking into the left bracket originally used for the Casita shelf. My plan was to paint it a simalar color to the carpeted wall. That should give me a solid enough mounting surface. I was just hoping to be able to mount to the fiberglass some way................other than bolting through to the outside! laugh.gif

Chris

Visit My Website

#5 simpleman

simpleman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:24 AM

Chris,
The way I did mine was to take some 1/8"x3/4" stock aluminum strips and cut 2 pieces about 10" long.
Then drill 2 holes in each,spaced 100mm apart to match up with the 100mm holes on the back of the tv vesa mount holes.I attached some clip rings on the top of the strips.I then mounted 2 eye bolts under the overhead cabinet. The eye bolts are mounted in the corner and the tv hangs with the bottom up against the carpet.My tv is a 19" samsung.
Good Luck
Dave

#6 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:20 AM

Thanks, Dave, that's a good solution. But I have the articulated arm to consider and couldn't mount it to two hanging straps.

Chris

Visit My Website

#7 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:48 AM

Well, Chris, I'm making headway. Cut my 1" x 2" x 43" and headed over to the Casita to size it up. Realized that I can actually slip the wood up behind the cabinet and the wall, so all I need to do is drive a decent screw through the lip of the fiberglass into the wood on the top. The bottom of the wood reaches the seat, so an "L" brace will work there. Everything will be painted either white or the off-white of the carpeting.

Although I had originally planned to cut the wood just short of the cushion, it's not really a problem, I found. The cushion isn't exactly a perfect fit along there anyway.

Also intending to rig up the articulating mount so I can remove the TV when it's in storage and use it at home. Hoping to have this project completed by the weekend. I'll keep you posted.

Eileen

Edited by ArizonaEileen, 11 March 2008 - 11:48 AM.

#8 KandJ

KandJ
  • Casita Club Member
  • 506 posts
  • Local time: 10:49 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' FD
  • Trailer Name:Humpty Dumpty

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:00 PM

Here is a good thread to look at.

http://www.casitaclu...p...ic=6067&hl=

2006 17' FD
2003 Ranger 4X4 Ext Cab 4 liter

Our Travels

AVE IMPERATOR MORITVRI TE SALVTANT

#9 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:04 PM

Thanks KandJ.

Chris

Visit My Website

#10 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE (KandJ @ Mar 11 2008, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is a good thread to look at.

http://www.casitaclu...p...ic=6067&hl=

All good ideas if your TV isn't 19" and 27 lbs, like mine is. An undercabinet mount
would, I fear, put too much stress on the cabinet, even if I reinforced it with wood on
the inside. I'd much prefer that the top of the seat absorb all of the load.

Also, I want to make use of the articulating holder I bought on eBay:
http://www.amazon.co...1400756-5919234
That way, I can pull it out, angle it, or position it for when I'm at either dinette or using
it as a PC monitor.

Eileen

#11 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:06 AM

You go girl!!!! Sounds as if you have a plan, for sure. wink.gif I might add, though, that a plate of 1/8" aluminum up in the cabinet as a backing to the through-bolts would spread the load so you'd have no problem with the weight of your TV. However, the way you are talking about supporting the load on the seat top will do just fine.................and I may just do something similar!

Chris

Visit My Website

#12 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:00 PM

Chris --

I had my carpenter brother look at it and he wasn't comfortable with the load, even with
some sort of support in the cabinet -- and that's when I had the 'lighter' 17" TV!

Went to Ace Hardware this AM and got the hardware. The project is definitely underway.

Eileen

#13 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:57 PM

Great! Now you make sure you show us some pictures.

Chris

Visit My Website

#14 simpleman

simpleman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:38 AM

Here's a couple pics of my mount. 19" and 10# TV.The bolts do go through wood in the cabinet.
Dave

Attached Thumbnails

• tv_001.jpg
  • tv_004.jpg

Edited by Dave and Marie, 13 March 2008 - 02:39 AM.

#15 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Local time: 09:49 PM
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:44 AM

dave/marie
That's a pretty neat and simple setup that can be taken down very quickly if needed....Do you leave it like that while driving?______ I couldn't make out the picture that good.....do you hold the bottom in place with a stretch type bungee cord?_____
Joe biggrin.gif

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4