#16 stevemcadams

stevemcadams
  • Casita Club Member
  • 36 posts
  • Local time: 10:23 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (usburros @ Mar 2 2008, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chris:

Like Joe, for a while I found that a rabbit ears antenna plugged into the exterior cable jack did better than the Winegard roof mount that came with our '05.

Now I have gone one step beyond that and am using a Winegard HA-0130 external mount antenna plugged into that jack. I did a slight modification to the mount so that I could completely remove the antenna for storage in the bumper when traveling. I also extended the height of the mast so when mounted the antenna would be above the air conditioner.

Can't say the reception is much better since we do our camping in very remote places and don't expect much. But, we're not TV addicts and as long as we can receive some contact from civilization we're happy.

Harold

Harold:

I'd like to know how you modified the mount and extended the height of the mast on this antenna. I have this antenna and have yet to attach the bracket.

Thanks

Steve
Steve & Betty McAdams
Webb City, MO
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe - "Eggecutive Suite"
2009 GMC Sierra, 5.3 V8

#17 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:00 PM

Boy, I sure am on a "learning journey" here!!!!! anim_rofl2.gif

I think I'm going to go with the Winegard Sensar III antenna. I looked on the antenna plate under the upper cabinets in my trailer and the amplifier is a Ultra Gain TV Amp made by Brauno Mfg. So I called Casita to ask if it would be capatable with the antenna. I got the usual, "uh, I dunno, really" answer from the tech department. I've got a call in to Winegard, but waiting to hear back from them. I know the Sensar has to have the amplifier to work.

Can anyone tell me if the Brauno amplifier is compatable with the Winegard antenna?

Chris
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe pulled with a White 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS.

Visit My Website

#18 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:45 AM

Just a follow-up!

I finally got hold of the tech department at Winegard. They told me the Brauno amplifier Casita installed in my trailer will not power the Sensar III antenna. But the antenna comes with the proper amp, so there's no problem. They said to just throw away the old amp and install the new one and all will be well. So, if I want to cut a "manhole" sized hole in the top of my trailer, lol.gif I'll install the Sensar III. Not sure I want to do that though!...........................................in fact, after trying to figure out where to install the Sensar on the roof of the Casita, I'm thinking I'd be better off installing the Roadstar!

Edited by Chris C, 05 March 2008 - 10:14 AM.

Chris

Visit My Website

#19 simpleman

simpleman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 338 posts
  • Local time: 07:23 PM

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:26 AM

Chris,
I didn't bother me to drill a big hole in the roof.If you don't want to do that,I have another idea. Winegard has the Sensar III head only.It has a U clamp mount for a mast .If you could make a remomovable mount for a 4 or 5' mast it would work the same.
Dave

#20 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:56 AM

Thanks Dave. I think that's sort of the direction I'm heading.

How have things been going? E-mail me if you get a chance.

Chris

Visit My Website

#21 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:04 PM

I've learned a lot pursuing this antenna subject. I've had pm's from members sharing their opinions (which I've much appreciated) and learned lots from tech assisantants with various antenna manufacturers. There seem to be a lot of pro's and con's on the subject. My most recent information comes from a rather lengthy discussion with the head of the tech department with Winegard. I was asking him about the omni-directional Roadstar 1500. He almost screamed! Said it was the worst choice I could make! Said it was only about 1/3rd as effective as the Sensar III. When I told him I wouldn't be able to mount the Sensar on the roof and was planning on using a bumper or side-mounted mast, he said he could solve all my problems by suggesting the GS2200..........which is the home version of the Sensar and much better. The thing about the GS2200 is that it has up to a 45 mile range. It is just the head of the antenna, and is designed to be clamped to a mast. It will still have to be rotated toward the sending station(s), which is definately a negative aspect, but the quality between it an any omni-directional antenna is unequaled. He said the trick is to pull into a campground and look at the other antennas and rotate mine close to the direction the others are aimed and then fine tune it from there.

Chris

Visit My Website

#22 airboat

airboat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 53 posts
  • Local time: 08:23 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft Liberty

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:46 PM

I like the idea of not having to adjust the omni-directional antena, but am concerned I will be disappointed with the reception. Does anyone know about the Winegard Roadstar 2000. Also, does it have to be mounted higher than the AC?
Roy and Carylon
Merritt Island, FL
2007 17' LD
2007 Ford F-150 Lariat

#23 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts
  • Local time: 09:23 PM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:59 PM

You WILL be disappointed with any Roadstar compared to a Sensar III.

Adjusting the Sensar is as easy as twisting a knob while looking at your TV picture. Just turn it either way until you see the best picture. No different than turning a set of rabbit ears, except you do it by turning a knob rather than by turning the base of a table-mounted antenna.

The crank raises the antenna mast to vertical, and the concentric knob allows rotation. To put the antenna down for travel, just re-align the knob to the "stow" position, and turn the crank the other way until it stops turning.

Believe me, IMHO everyone is making too much of a big deal about cutting (drilling) a hole in Casita's roof. The hole is smaller than any other hole up there already, and the base of the antenna is extremely well sealed.

Am I missing something here?

Bob

Edited by Bobinyelm, 15 March 2008 - 09:02 PM.

#24 frosin

frosin
  • Casita Club Member
  • 672 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:19 AM

Just my 2 cent worth (and it may not be worth half of that).

I installed the Winegard Roadstar 2000 a few years ago. I've really been quite pleased with it. I live in San Antonio, TX. San Antonio is about 160 miles from Corpus Christi, TX. Last year a friend of mine had a hunting lease almost exactly halfway between San Antonio and Corpus Christi. I parked the Casita there for a few days and was pleasantly surprised that I received both San Antonio and Corpus Christi television channels. Since it is omni directional I didn't have to get up and rotate anything when I changed channels. I think I'll keep it. The Roadstar 2000 required me to drill 6 small rivet holes in the roof, and 1 small hole for the coax to run in through. Like others, I ran the coax in just behind the bathroom door, and ran it through the storage cabinets to the "entertainment corner". I bought a rubber plug at Radio Shack to seal around the coax hole and siliconed it good. Not a leak one in 3 or 4 years. I also siliconed the aluminum rivets in the mounting holes.

As for mounting the Sensar III, I don't particularly enjoy cutting holes in the roof either, but as
for structural support, it doesn't seem to bother the Casita factory to cut that big ol' Fan-Tastic fan hole does it?

On a side note, we don't actually get to use the antenna that much. Most places now have cable ready spots. But when they don't, it's sure nice to have.

I just got through installing a 15 inch LCD TV that hangs from the bottom of the storage cabinet. Bast Buy has them and they run on 110 volts transfromed down to 12 volts. I bought a cigarette lighter plug (male) yesterday and now I can run it directly off of 12 volts. Now when I stop for that sandwich I can watch TV while I eat. Here is a picture of it running off of 12 volts:

2008_03_15_004.jpg

By the way... I live just outside the city limits of San Antonio. The television picture that you see here is from the Winegard Roadstar 2000 parked under a tree with the Cover Giant cover over the entire trailer (hence the grey material outside the windows).

Fred

Edited by frosin, 16 March 2008 - 10:24 AM.

Fred and Mary
'99 17' SD
2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
San Antonio, Texas

"The Road Goes On Forever and the Party Never Ends". Robert Earl Keen

#25 airboat

airboat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (frosin @ Mar 16 2008, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I installed the Winegard Roadstar 2000 a few years ago. I've really been quite pleased with it. I live in San Antonio, TX. San Antonio is about 160 miles from Corpus Christi, TX. Last year a friend of mine had a hunting lease almost exactly halfway between San Antonio and Corpus Christi. I parked the Casita there for a few days and was pleasantly surprised that I received both San Antonio and Corpus Christi television channels. Since it is omni directional I didn't have to get up and rotate anything when I changed channels. I think I'll keep it. The Roadstar 2000 required me to drill 6 small rivet holes in the roof, and 1 small hole for the coax to run in through. Like others, I ran the coax in just behind the bathroom door, and ran it through the storage cabinets to the "entertainment corner". I bought a rubber plug at Radio Shack to seal around the coax hole and siliconed it good. Not a leak one in 3 or 4 years. I also siliconed the aluminum rivets in the mounting holes.

As for mounting the Sensar III, I don't particularly enjoy cutting holes in the roof either, but as
for structural support, it doesn't seem to bother the Casita factory to cut that big ol' Fan-Tastic fan hole does it?

On a side note, we don't actually get to use the antenna that much. Most places now have cable ready spots. But when they don't, it's sure nice to have.

I just got through installing a 15 inch LCD TV that hangs from the bottom of the storage cabinet. Bast Buy has them and they run on 110 volts transfromed down to 12 volts. I bought a cigarette lighter plug (male) yesterday and now I can run it directly off of 12 volts. Now when I stop for that sandwich I can watch TV while I eat. Here is a picture of it running off of 12 volts:

2008_03_15_004.jpg

By the way... I live just outside the city limits of San Antonio. The television picture that you see here is from the Winegard Roadstar 2000 parked under a tree with the Cover Giant cover over the entire trailer (hence the grey material outside the windows).

Fred

QUOTE (frosin @ Mar 16 2008, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

2008_03_15_004.jpg

Fred

Roy and Carylon
Merritt Island, FL
2007 17' LD
2007 Ford F-150 Lariat

#26 KandJ

KandJ
  • Casita Club Member
  • 506 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' FD
  • Trailer Name:Humpty Dumpty

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:13 PM

An observation!

When we picked up our 2006 FD in came with a Winegard Roadstar RS-1500. We purchased a HDTV ready, 720p 19" wide screen LCD TV when we got the Casita home. The performance was nothing to write home about, marginal at best unless we were near a transmitter. At the time there were no small screen TVs that had a built in digital tuner. I recently purchased a new digital tuner a Samsung DTB-H260F for about $180.00 at Best Buy. It will output a digital signal using HDMI or component Y,Pb, and Pr at 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i along with a Dolby digital optical output. We live about 14 miles north of Denver and from the roof of my house at night with a pair of good binoculars I can see the transmission towers on Lookout Mountain, line of sight.

With the trailer sitting in my driveway I get the following results. The low VHF band, Ch 2 – 6, 54 – 88 Mhz is very, very bad and not usable. The high VHF band Ch 7 – 13, 174 – 216 Mhz is good with some ghosting on some stations. The transmitters for the UHF band are in different directions than the VHF band so most of the stronger UHF stations are very good. It appears that the UHF is much better than the VHF part of the antenna. This weekend I had the chance to try the new digital tuner. I was not expecting much improvement over the analog signal so my expectations were low. Was I surprised! The result was that all of the digital stations currently on the air were receivable. The difference between the analog and digital picture is amazing even at 720p using the component input. In the Denver metro all of the digital stations are transmitting in the UHV band and not anywhere near their allowed power yet. The low VHF band has already been sold and there are bids on the high VHF band pending. $$$

The Winegard Roadstar RS-1500 appears to be more than adequate with digital stations in my area. I am now in the process to find a place to mount the digital tuner. We have the TV shelf that is used for the DVD player.

Keith

2006 17' FD
2003 Ranger 4X4 Ext Cab 4 liter

Our Travels

AVE IMPERATOR MORITVRI TE SALVTANT

#27 airboat

airboat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:49 PM

Bob & Fred, Thanks for responding. Bob, I was afraid the Roadstar’s reception would be compromised since it is Omni-directional, you confirmed my concern. Thanks for sharing the advantages of the Sensar, it is tempting. However, it seems the roadster will still best satisfy our limited needs. Fred is there any problem with the A/C obstructing the TV reception in that direction. Will I need to mount 2000 higher than the A/C? Where did you get your 12V power? I had planed to use an electrician’s snake to fish the cable behind the carpet. Is there a better way? Thanks, Roy
Roy and Carylon
Merritt Island, FL
2007 17' LD
2007 Ford F-150 Lariat

#28 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (airboat @ Mar 17 2008, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fred is there any problem with the A/C obstructing the TV reception in that direction. Will I need to mount 2000 higher than the A/C?

Roy - yes, you should extend your antenna above the rooftop a/c. With the Roadstar it is simple. I used a short piece of PVC and after painting it looks OK.
010_Made_extension_to_mount_pole.JPG -020_The_major_parts.JPG
See the entire mod at:
http://tinyurl.com/2ocnp3

Don
Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#29 frosin

frosin
  • Casita Club Member
  • 672 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:40 AM

Roy-

Just for clarification, you're asking about the Winegard Roadstar 2000. The Roadstar comes in 2 models; the Roadstar 1500 and the Roadstar 2000. The photos in Don's post above show the Roadstar 1500. My photos below show the Roadstar 2000.

In answer to you questions, the air conditione is not a concern on mine since I have a front mounted air conditioner. I've attached the installation instructions for the Roadstar 2000.

I get the 12 volt power from the Casita's battery. In my photos you can see a vacant 12 volt power supply. That's the power supply/booster that came with the Roadstar. The LCD TV in the pisture is actually plugged into the 12 volt power supply that Casita provided with the trailer which is a little further back in the corner.

I brought the coax into the trailer from the roof into the overhead storage cabinet just behind the bathroom door. I ran it all the way to the back through the overhead storage bins, stapling it to the wood blocks located on every hinge. I tried running it between the carpet and the walls, but Casita glued that carpet down pretty good.

Winegard_Roadstar_2000__left_view_.JPG

Winegard_Roadstar_2000__right_view_.JPG

Attached File  Winegard_RS_2000_Antenna_Manual.pdf   213.81KB   436 downloads

Fred
Fred and Mary
'99 17' SD
2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
San Antonio, Texas

"The Road Goes On Forever and the Party Never Ends". Robert Earl Keen

#30 Old Bob

Old Bob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 72 posts
  • Local time: 11:23 PM
  • Interests:RV Travel, Camping &amp; Sightseeing<br />Digital Photography<br />Computers &amp; Internet<br />Reading

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:33 PM

After we picked up our Casita in April 2006, we spent the first night in Corsicana to check it out and get the propane tanks purged & filled. Then we moved to Traders Village in Grand Prairie to visit friends there. I have the new antenna built into the roof, so I turned on the amp and had the TV scan for stations. Most had very distorted pictures and several kept blanking out completely. I decided it looked like the signal was too strong so I shut off the amp and rescanned the channels and they came in fine. Since then when I arrive at a new campground I usually scan first with the amp on and if I have trouble I try again with it off. I can usually get at least a few channels that way unless we are really a long distance from any stations. When the campground has cable we leave the amplifier off and set the tv up for cable before we scan channels. huh.gif

Campsite near Rocky Mtn NP:

Attached Thumbnails

• Campsite_With_Mountains.jpg

Bob and Betty
Orange Park, FL
2006 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe "Little Roady"
2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 w/tow pkg