Antenna

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts
  • Local time: 10:15 PM
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:56 AM

Okay................I finally bought the HDTV for our Casita. Very happy with the size, picture, etc. But one problem. I keep losing a signal. I'm hooked into the antenna that's inbetween the inner and outer skin of the trailer. I don't get normally a very good signal here at the house on my regular TV, so it's hard to say if it's the lack of a good antenna or my location. But I'm wondering if it wouldn't be good to get some kind of external antenna for the Casita....................something I could put up on the roof when we get set up somewhere for a few days. If I get an external antenna for those times, could I just hook it to the cable connector outside and push the cable switch on the inside to access the external antenna?

Any suggestions?

Chris
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe pulled with a White 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS.

Visit My Website

#2 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Local time: 08:15 PM
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:12 AM

Chris.....
this might seem like a backyard cure but it works for me........ I just get a set of cheap rabbit ears and hang it in a tree as high as i can get it.......works pretty good biggrin.gif
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#3 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:48 AM

I'm not against doing that. But can I hook the cable to the outdoor cable hookup and just tell the TV inside it's coming from "cable"? Or do I have to drill a hole in the trailer to run a seperate connection?

Edited by Chris C, 02 March 2008 - 11:49 AM.

Chris

Visit My Website

#4 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 01:59 PM

Any more suggestions? Anybody?

Chris

Visit My Website

#5 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,470 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:42 PM

Chris:

Like Joe, for a while I found that a rabbit ears antenna plugged into the exterior cable jack did better than the Winegard roof mount that came with our '05.

Now I have gone one step beyond that and am using a Winegard HA-0130 external mount antenna plugged into that jack. I did a slight modification to the mount so that I could completely remove the antenna for storage in the bumper when traveling. I also extended the height of the mast so when mounted the antenna would be above the air conditioner.

TV_antenna_mount.jpg

Can't say the reception is much better since we do our camping in very remote places and don't expect much. But, we're not TV addicts and as long as we can receive some contact from civilization we're happy.

Harold

#6 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
    Jan 21 2005

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE (Chris C @ Mar 2 2008, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not against doing that. But can I hook the cable to the outdoor cable hookup and just tell the TV inside it's coming from "cable"? Or do I have to drill a hole in the trailer to run a seperate connection?

Chris....the person that had the trailer before me did a mod that has two hookups outside.... one for cable and the other for going thru the amplifier..... when using the amplifier with the outside tree antenna it's much better than no amplifier.( i have an older 94'model and the newer ones may let you use the amplifier with the single outside connection....Not Sure Though)

Harold...I like that nice clean setup on the side.i saved the link to look into it further
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#7 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (usburros @ Mar 2 2008, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chris:

Like Joe, for a while I found that a rabbit ears antenna plugged into the exterior cable jack did better than the Winegard roof mount that came with our '05.

Now I have gone one step beyond that and am using a Winegard HA-0130 external mount antenna plugged into that jack. I did a slight modification to the mount so that I could completely remove the antenna for storage in the bumper when traveling. I also extended the height of the mast so when mounted the antenna would be above the air conditioner.

TV_antenna_mount.jpg

Can't say the reception is much better since we do our camping in very remote places and don't expect much. But, we're not TV addicts and as long as we can receive some contact from civilization we're happy.

Harold

Harold,

I noticed the mount for your antenna is on the same side of the trailer as the cable TV connection. Do you hook your antenna into that connector?

Chris

Visit My Website

#8 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (Chris C @ Mar 2 2008, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Chris:

Now I have gone one step beyond that and am using a Winegard HA-0130 external mount antenna plugged into that jack. . . . . .

Harold

Harold,

I noticed the mount for your antenna is on the same side of the trailer as the cable TV connection. Do you hook your antenna into that connector?

That's what I do.

Harold

#9 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE (wrkn2mch @ Mar 2 2008, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chris....the person that had the trailer before me did a mod that has two hookups outside.... one for cable and the other for going thru the amplifier..... when using the amplifier with the outside tree antenna it's much better than no amplifier.( i have an older 94'model and the newer ones may let you use the amplifier with the single outside connection....Not Sure Though)

Harold...I like that nice clean setup on the side.i saved the link to look into it further
Joe

Joe:

Where is the amplifier in your '94?

In our '05, the amplifier was inside the Winegard 1500 on top of the trailer, powered via the coaxial running from the switch to the antenna. I do not see how another antenna could be connected to take advantage of it. But that's "water under the bridge," our "flying saucer" antenna is now in the dump.

Harold

#10 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
    Jan 21 2005

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:24 AM

QUOTE (usburros @ Mar 3 2008, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (wrkn2mch @ Mar 2 2008, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Joe:

Where is the amplifier in your '94?

In our '05, the amplifier was inside the Winegard 1500 on top of the trailer, powered via the coaxial running from the switch to the antenna. I do not see how another antenna could be connected to take advantage of it. But that's "water under the bridge," our "flying saucer" antenna is now in the dump.

Harold

Harold....
I am only so-so on antenna stuff and will give it my best shot.
The original antenna was on the roof center in the back near the rear window (which was removed) so i guess it was a bat type antenna..... it looks like they simply cut the wire off the antenna that was removed and re-routed it to the left side just inside the electrical access door. The amplifier is alongside the stove and it has a button to turn the amplifier on.....power access port (cigarette lighter plug) and coaxial hookup that goes to teltevision. I just took it for granted that the amplifier is in that little box alongside the stove......when i press the button to power it on the television works great. turn it off and the picture gets lousy.
when the weather gets better i will try to hunt down any wiring if you need it.
Joe
Television Hookups (Note: the black wire with the phillips head screw has nothing to do with the hookups as it is a wire for my solar hookups)
television_hookups.JPG

Amplifier?
television_amplifier.JPG

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#11 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE (usburros @ Mar 2 2008, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Chris C @ Mar 2 2008, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Chris:

Now I have gone one step beyond that and am using a Winegard HA-0130 external mount antenna plugged into that jack. . . . . .

Harold

Harold,

That's what I do.

Harold

Thanks, Harold.

Chris

Visit My Website

#12 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:12 PM

Okay, now I'm confused!!!!! blink.gif

I tried the rabbit ears on a cable above the trailer and couldn't get any signal at all!!! Went to the RV store to look at antennas and they had one that says "HD Digital ready", and others that didn't. I thought an antenna was an antenna!?!?!?!?!? Am I going to have to buy the HD Digital ready type?

New info:

I just did some research and came up with this link...............answered my own question!
http://www.dennysant...om/1161550.html

Thought it might be helpful to others.

Edited by Chris C, 03 March 2008 - 02:51 PM.

Chris

Visit My Website

#13 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:00 AM

I'm sure there are more than just a few antennas on Casitas out there. How about sharing what you have and how it's working for you?

Chris

Visit My Website

#14 simpleman

simpleman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 338 posts
  • Local time: 07:15 PM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:43 AM

Chris,
I installed the winegard sensar on mine,some 5 years ago.It works great.
Dave

#15 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Local time: 09:15 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:58 AM

Chris - I have a Winegard 1500 and a KingDome satellite, and both are roof mounted. The Winegard receives analog and digital signals and is OK. The best I can say for it is that it will receive signals from close stations and it is no hassle to use. The KingDome is our primary source of TV when we can 'see' the satellite.

Winegard installation
http://tinyurl.com/2ocnp3

KingDome installation
http://tinyurl.com/yvjhcd

Don
Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g