8 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick M.

Patrick M.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 571 posts
  • Local time: 08:27 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe 17' 2007

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:07 PM

The primary feature of the Liberty model is the ability to configure the bed into different configurations: king, full and twin. However, the as-delivered twin setup is a bit narrow, so most people who want to use twin beds extent the width of the beds in various ways. Do a search on "twin beds" to see!

I chose to use a simple method that was easy to create and did not require any drilling or difficult to remove brackets on the Casita.

Materials (all from Lowe's):
2 - 1"x10"x8' clear pine (or similar) boards
6 - Screw on 12" table legs with mounting plates
Felt padding for leg bottoms (if vinyl floor)
Velcro strips - heavy duty (to keep board from slipping)

The 1x10's are actually 3/4" x 9 1/4" which is almost the perfect thickness to fit into the indent on the sides of the benches. The board width results in an overall bed width of about 31". This is less than a true twin bed but very adequate for most adults, and leaves a walking/feet gap between the beds of about 13". I think this is about perfect, but a wider board could be used on one or both sides if necessary.

Cut the boards to 81". The curb side bed is actually about 1/2" longer than the street side, but this length leaves enough gap at the end to miss the trim. Cut a curve in one corner to avoid sharp leg pains. I used one of the table top corners as a pattern.

Evenly space the leg brackets and screw them on. Be sure to keep in mind where the curved corner is going to end up, and which side is the top and which the bottom, and don't ask me why I think this is important! The front leg on the street side needs to miss the circuit breaker door, and the rear leg the pump access door (see note).

Place three 4" or so strips of velcro, evenly spaced, on both sides of the notch in the bench, but leave the top sticky cover on. Lay a board down and screw the center leg in all the way and judge how much of the leg you will need to cut off (put the felt pad, unattached, underneath it to account for it). Or place the leg at the edge of the board, get it level, and measure how much needs to be cut off. On mine, this was very little, maybe 1/8" - 1/4". Note you can always make a leg longer by leaving it partially unscrewed. Repeat process for other legs on side, remove velcro adhesive covers, and carefully set board in place. Sit on it to bond the velcro. Repeat leg installation process on other side.

That's it. Easily removable and light weight, but sturdy for sitting on.

Note: The rear street side leg positioning was blocked by the lame wiring cover Casita uses. So I modded that to make room and that mod is here: http://www.casitaclu...?showtopic=9921

Attached Thumbnails

• Twin_Bed_Supports_1.jpg
  • Twin_Bed_Supports_2.jpg
  • Twin_Bed_Supports_5.jpg
  • Twin_Bed_Supports_6.jpg

Edited by Patrick M., 29 January 2008 - 02:33 PM.

Pat and Marilyn
2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe (Sold June 2011) & Honda Odyssey
Don't anthropomorphize your trailer - it doesn't like it.

#2 swtgran

swtgran
  • Casita Club Member
  • 411 posts
  • Local time: 07:27 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:19 PM

Can you access both the pump area and electrical area without moving bed? Great job. Terry

#3 Patrick M.

Patrick M.
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

Well, if you like laying on the floor in a 15" wide space! Only for quick access, otherwise flip the mattress up and pull the board off the velco and put up with the mattress.

Beds with foam and memory foam mattress:

Attached Thumbnails

• Twin_Beds.JPG

Edited by Patrick M., 29 January 2008 - 03:48 PM.

Pat and Marilyn

#4 CarolU

CarolU
  • Rally Organizer
  • 867 posts
  • Local time: 07:27 AM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1014

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:21 PM

We have the Liberty and wanted a quick, easy solution for twin beds.

We use two boards (one for each twin bed).. The boards are kept during the day under the cushions... We have 4 filler cushions that at night fit in between the wall and the large cushion we sit on (these can be seen in the first photo).

At night, we pull out the board, and the seat cushion, about 5 or 6 inches . We put two filler pads by the wall ... and take the two back cushions that we lean against during the day.. and put these two cushions next to the bed on the floor to support the board. Works great. quick, easy and comfortable.

Photo #1 .... Shows daytime setup - and the 4 filler cushions are at the back under the window.

Photo #2 .... Shows one twin bed made up for night and the other side as daytime use.

Photo #3 .... Shows closeup ... seat cushion, board, filler cushions and cushions on floor.

Photo #4 .... Shows one of the large boards that are used to widen the twin bed. We use the board during the day to eat on and play games with 6 people.

Attached Thumbnails

• Upton_Casita_Interior_low_res_04.jpg
  • Upton_Casita_Interior_low_res_13.jpg
  • Upton_Casita_Interior_low_res_14.jpg
  • Upton_Casita_Interior_low_res_17.jpg

Edited by CarolU, 29 January 2008 - 05:23 PM.

Carol and Jim #1014
2002 17' Liberty Deluxe "Snuggy Buggy"
2010 Honda Odyssey with Res/Nav
Canyon Country, CA

#5 Dave and Ruth

Dave and Ruth
  • Casita Club Member
  • 454 posts
  • Local time: 09:27 AM
  • Interests: 
  • Casita Club Directory #:2369

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:38 PM

Patrick,

You did a really nice job and I know you’ll enjoy the spacious feel.

For a similar idea but without the legs, no drilling and with easy to remove brackets (if you’d ever want to), check out our twin bed mod using very high bond tape.

Dave

Edited by Dave and Ruth, 29 January 2008 - 09:40 PM.

Dave & Ruth
Santa Fe, New Mexico

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
2007 LD "El Gecko" * 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
High Tech Twin Bed Mod * Rooftop Solar install with VHB tape
Sliding sink cover for the Liberty * Custom Casita Cover

#6 Derby

Derby
  • Casita Club Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:01 AM

Looks very nice!

You mentioned "and leaves a walking/feet gap between the beds of about 13 inches". I don't have the LD model but if I pictured myself in there, my problem would be hitting my feet/ mainly catching my long toes on one of the support posts ( especially if sheets or blankets are overhanging a little blocking where the post is at to avoid it. I would think anyone with a size 10 or bigger is gonna have sore toes every now and then late at night. I hope you don't "run into" this problem. I clicked on Dave's link and I like the more open space for your feet when you stand up from the bed etc... now just gotta worry about hitting your shins up against the board ( Hopefully the cusion over hangs just a little from the board to avoid this ).

#7 brain

brain
  • Casita Club Member
  • 619 posts
  • Local time: 09:27 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:59 AM

Nice job Patrick! Thanks for the well documented and photographed post.

#8 Patrick M.

Patrick M.
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:12 AM

I'm glad to see the other twin bed modders chiming in. Carol's use of the back cushion to support the bed is very clever, and Dave's VHB tape method was (and is) my backup method should the leg method be a problem.

Speaking of which, the space between the boards is 13" but between the legs its more like 15". This has not been a problem for my size 15 feet but something to consider. And yes, the bed stuff pretty much protects the sides of the boards so bumping into them doesn't seem to be a problem, but do put that curve in!
Pat and Marilyn

#9 Phil Underwood

Phil Underwood
  • Casita Club Member
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:motocross / fiberglass rvs / camping / muscle cars

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:56 PM

nice post Patrick, thanks for sharing...
Phil & Denise Underwood
1997 Bigfoot 21 RB
2002 F-250