20 replies to this topic

#1 AC Jeff

AC Jeff
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 07:38 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:44 AM

Hello Folks,

We just sold our small Class C and are looking for a travel trailer. I was so excited to see that there were TTs I could tow with my 2005 Odyssey(if I add the right equipment). I've looked at all the choices and
think Casita is the best. I've been reading here and ordered the brochure. I have not seen a Casita in person so my question is.......

How can we sleep 4 people and still retain the bathroom? My kids are 7 and 9 and both my wife and insist that no bathroom means - no RV

Thanks for your time.

#2 cdsmith

cdsmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:54 AM

We slept four in our 1999 17' SD.

Joyce and I on the bed in the back, my daughter on the dinnette bed and my grandson on a sleeping bag on the floor. Comfortable enough for a two week trip.

This would be good for you for about 5-6 years. Unfortunately there isn't enough room on the floor my grandson now because at 15 he is 6' 2" tall. He now sleeps outside in a tent.
Joyce and Charlie Smith, Princess Lily, Rose, and Violet - Grand Prairie, TX
RV: 1999 SD "The Little Egg"
TV: 2007 Escalade 2WD 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
Brake Control: Dexter Predator DX-2

#3 btrotter1

btrotter1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 69 posts
  • Local time: 04:38 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:2088

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:30 AM

I have a 16 SD with a bunks. During the day the top bunk lets down and becomes the back rest for the bottom and creates a bench seat. I would think you would want a 17 to give you more room on the dinette when it is down for a bed. I am a SOLO camper so I just sleep on the bottom bench/bunk seat and use the top bunk for luggage and leave the dinette as dinette. For your requirments the only problem is the top bunk is rated at only about 90 lbs. Don't know if the 17 comes with this type arrangement or not but Casita can tell you. Just tell them you want to sleep 4 and they will send you the floor plans that best match your requirments.
Bruce
2000 16 SD
TV 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe
North Texas

#4 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,694 posts
  • Local time: 05:38 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Casita SD 17'

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:06 AM

Casita makes a Liberty Deluxe with a very large King size Bed w/ shower and toilet...this may help you.
That section where it says roof vent also has a cushion setup that closes that area in too.
Joe
http://www.casitatra...om/liberty.html

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#5 Nathan Johnson

Nathan Johnson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 309 posts
  • Local time: 08:38 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:43 AM

We have 2 kids, almost 4 and 8. We bought the 17' Spirit Deluxe, and this is how we do it; We have the rear dinette made into a full time bed, and the side dinette is where our almost 4 year old sleeps. And our daughter sleeps in the "cubby" underneath our bed (the space where your feet would be if you were sitting at the dinnette). It is funny, initially our daughter complained that our son had the better bed on the side dinette. So we talked up how wonderful the "cubby" was to our son, and he was all excited to sleep there. It lasted one night. The next morning, our daughter said "I did not like sleeping there, I want my cubby back". So that's how it was the rest of the summer.

The downside to that is that the space is rather confining, and it gets warm down there, do to the heat vent/electrical thingy that is on one side of the dinette. But being in the north, that is not too big an issue.

I think that the Casita is cozy enough to warrant a good attitude about such things. But there are other "carrots" that make it worth it to her. She gets to go camping, swimming, biking and eat s'mores, and that outweighs where she crashes in the evening.

Another option we are contemplating, if there is resistence someday, is a screen room that attaches to the awning, which is also a tent-like enclosed room. That way, when they are a little bigger, they could stay in that (or we could) and there would be less of a crowd. Or put them in a tent. But frankly, that prospect rather frightens us in todays society.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2007 17SD Loaded Except for Microwave
My Casita and Camping Blog

#6 Laurel & Brad

Laurel & Brad
  • Casita Club Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:20 PM

We are four and a dog. We use a tent when we are camped out for a few days, but when we are on the move, or just out for the weekend, the 17 yr old gets the side dinette, the 13 yr old gets the floor, on an small airmattress, with his legs under our full bed. The dog gets the end of our bed. Some times the boy on the floor gets stepped on, but he is tough. When the dog needs to go, he goes. Very cosy, but that is what it is all about. I don't know how much longer the older son will want to travel with us, but we make it work and all love our trailer.
The first time out in the trailer, with the tent, the kids got the trailer, and Brad and I used the tent, but once they got used to the idea, they moved out. I like having the tent as a enclosed storage area for some of the extra gear we end up with.
Laurel
Laurel & Brad
New Westminster, BC
Canada
1999 17' Spirit
2005 Tacoma Pre Runner

#7 Derby

Derby
  • Casita Club Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:30 PM

What length is the small class C you sold? Was it a newer model or an older unit? And why did you chose to sell the C in favor of a TT?

The Casita for four is a hard shell tent with a bathroom and other rv amenities minus the genset.

"My kids are 7 and 9 and both my wife and insist that no bathroom means - no RV"

I am a gambling man and would put money on the fact that your wife will not like the casita bathroom ( based on you owned a class c motorhome )

Spend five minuties in a Casita and you will know if it will work for you and your family or not. No doubt a family of four can camp with a Casita... but there is doubt when that family is coming from a Class C.

#8 Bubba

Bubba
  • Casita Club Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:03 AM

I thought I saw a thread where some one did a MOD (or requested Casita factory) to add a bunk above the dinette on a Spirit. The bunk was level with the bottom of the dinette side window and was on hinges and used chrome support pipes to hold up the outside edge just like the front bunk bed. This kept all sleepers off the floor with access to the bathroom.

Edited by Bubba, 10 January 2008 - 05:04 AM.

Bubba (Member 1527)
N 30.053633
W-95.230900
Altitude 69 ft
2010 Tundra Double Cab 8' bed
17' Casita a.k.a.Omelet

Various Pictures

#9 Chris Z

Chris Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 788 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' SD

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:21 AM

I've seen several mods for adding a bunk above the side dinette on a SD and I am contemplating doing that. If you decide to do that and can't find them, I can e-mail to you. Meanwhile, some of the grandkids sleep in the Suburban and they enjoy staying up later watching movies or whatever while grandparents konk out earlier. We even made screens for the windows with magnets and have a separate small ceramic heater and fan if needed and have electric. Two years ago, we had 4 boys in the truck and 1 girl in the Casita with us. We got some strange looks but it was fun - all 5500 miles. Only 3 and 1 in 2007 and only about 3000 miles.
#2077 Louisville, Ky
2006 Black Chevy Suburban
2005 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

#10 AC Jeff

AC Jeff
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:27 AM

Thanks for the responses.

I sold the Class C because it was a 1987 that was not reliable enought to take on longer trips. It was a 20FT Itasca. It did not have a shower so any shower here is an upgrade.

I'm interest in that bunk modification for the Spirit. If anyone has a link to pictures please post it. I don't think the Liberty with everyone in the king is good for us.

I need to see a real live Casita. I hardly see them for sale in the northeast. I live near Atlantic City.

AC Jeff

#11 Chris Z

Chris Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 788 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:42 PM

http://www.casitaclu...p...ic=1757&hl=

http://www.casitaclu...p...pic=126&hl=

Here's some of the ideas I've seen here.
Casita will tell you where ones are that have listed with them to show their trailer. Or if you show your location, someone here may be close.

Edited by Chris Z, 10 January 2008 - 12:43 PM.

#2077 Louisville, Ky

#12 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 2,448 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:07 PM

Here are photos of Aki's sleeping arrangements. Aki is a CasitaClub member in Japan who has a 16' SD and has 2 children who are now teenagers. They began using the bunks but apparently added a cot as the children grew up.

Attached Images

• Aki__scasitainterior.jpg
  • Aki__sbunkbeds.jpg
  • Aki__s_cot.jpg

Edited by Carol Christensen, 10 January 2008 - 02:13 PM.

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#13 lundberg

lundberg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 29 posts
  • Local time: 04:38 PM

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:29 AM

The upper bunk is rated at 80 pounds, perhaps that is why the teen sleeps on the cot.

#14 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,694 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Casita SD 17'

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:44 AM

AC Jeff
We used to live in "Little Egg Harbor" near you in "Atlantic City" we are now Living in the "Reading PA" area which is about 160 miles from you and we have a 1994 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16' and if you are ever in this area you are most welcome to stop by and see it.
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#15 Chris Z

Chris Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 788 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:51 AM

I see in the directory that there are 6 members in New Jersey. Do you have access to the directory? Usually, people enjoy showing their's off. I guess if you don't have one, contact the webmaster?
#2077 Louisville, Ky