• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Casita Colorado

Casita Colorado
  • Casita Club Member
  • 67 posts
  • Local time: 05:00 AM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:09 AM

Can someone please run me through the drill?? what to buy ,what and when to do things and how to do it etc...
thanks in advance

#2 meanders

meanders
  • Casita Club Member
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:travel<br />biochemistry
  • Casita Club Directory #:2338

Posted 30 September 2007 - 01:59 PM

Hi
I found the info on the forum last winter, but can;t remember where (I printed it out somewhere...)O
probably need to do a search.
Need pink RV antifreeze--NOT car type.
Others may know link!
meanders
meanders
Denton, Tx
Honda Ridgeline RT
2006 SD 17
Prodigy
Casita Club # 2338

#3 Sue and Sandy

Sue and Sandy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,583 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2001 16ft. Freedom Deluxe

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:13 PM

Here is one thread with good steps for winterizing.
http://www.casitaclu...p...ic=7249&hl=
Posted Image
2001 16' FD "The Alpine Egg-Spress" #1155
2013 Ford F150 Supercab 4X4

#4 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 2,337 posts
  • Local time: 04:00 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 30 September 2007 - 05:35 PM

This is the routine we use (used to use, now it's stored in the garage during the winter). Just keep in mind that we use the fresh water tank and pump always. Even when we have a site with water, we just use the hose to refill the water tank.

Winterizing
• Drain black, then gray holding tanks and flush with fresh water; drain fresh water tank almost completely.
• Drain hot water heater and flush out - replug opening with a PVC plug.
• BYPASS hot water heater (or REMOVE anode) - bypass lever in horizontal position.
• Add 2 -3 or more gals RV (pink) antifreeze to fresh water tank.
• Turn pump on, open hot & cold faucets one at a time - run until antifreeze (pink) shows in sinks, toilet & shower head. Don't forget the outside shower, if you have one.
• Turn off pump.
• Add some antifreeze to sink traps & drains - black & gray tanks, toilet and shower drain.
• Close propane tank valves, light stove & burn off excess gas.
• Leave bathroom window open, just a little.
• Leave bathroom door open.
• Leave refrigerator door ajar.
We don’t do these last three items, although they have been recommended by many.
• Turn off circuit breakers at the service panel.
• Cover all vents.
• Disconnect battery, hook-up to trickle charge - keep battery in dry, cool place (not on cement).
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#5 Dave&Kathie

Dave&Kathie
  • Casita Club Member
  • 307 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Escape 21
  • Interests:Woodworking, Photography, Gardening Birdwatching, Sewing, Astronomy, & Camping!

Posted 01 October 2007 - 04:50 AM

Great review Carol - Thanks. We also put 2 Dri Z Air dehumidifiers in the trailer (of course it RAINS here all winter sad.gif so they keep things nice and dry inside). One other hint - last year all the store where we shop had left was RV antifreeze with wintergreen - Don't use this - water tasted like wintergreen for months this Spring!
Kathie
Dave & Kathie
Portland, OR
05 17' FD, 06 V8 Ltd 4Runner
"I do not understand how anyone can live without some small place of enchantment to turn to."
MK Rawlings

#6 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,538 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 Patriot Deluxe 13'

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:17 AM

this is also my first year with a 94' casita and while all these recommendations are great and understandable i have to add that i have a valve on my fresh water tank that when i'm hooked to city water will fill my fresh water tank(if i want to) from the city connection of my trailer by simply opening the valve at the tank and then shutting it when full..... i imagine i will have to open this valve at the tank and blow it out with air from the city water connection on my tank as i can see no way to get the pink stuff in that line.
Joe
Joe & Linda
2010 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe
Dodge Ram 4x4

#7 breckenridge

breckenridge
  • Casita Club Member
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, canoe, road/mtn biking, telemark skiing & cooking
  • Casita Club Directory #:2934

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:16 AM

Does anyone keep shore power hooked up through out the winter & then turn on a light bulb to heat the inside of the trailer ? Know "heat up the inside" is a strong phrase, but have used a light bulb in an engine compartment to keep it warm(er) than the out side temp.

Have also thought of plugging in a small block heater inside--of course would put it on a non-flamable base.

Any first hand experience or just plain thoughts would be appreciated.
13' Patriot Deluxe/2008: Sold
16' LD/2010
Nissan Xterra Off Road/2009
Bianchi Nirone C2C/2009
Specialized HardRock Sport 29 MtnBike
Mad River 14' Canoe

#8 CarolP

CarolP
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 03:00 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:02 AM

[quote name='Carol Christensen' date='Sep 30 2007, 05:35 PM' post='78242']
This is the routine we use (used to use, now it's stored in the garage during the winter). Just keep in mind that we use the fresh water tank and pump always. Even when we have a site with water, we just use the hose to refill the water tank.

Carol,

We too are new to Fiberglass trailers (16' Uhaul VT) so I was excited that you had instructions on winterizing - but (and forgive me for this being a Newbie) do you not winterize because you store your egg in a garage? We have rented a large storage unit for ours (Safe and Dry) for the wet/snowy Ohio winter we experience, but it does get below freezing for days. Can you help me understand? Sorry for being slow on this type of thing, I just don't want any problems next spring for camping season...

Thanks in advance!

Carolyn

#9 Don in OKC

Don in OKC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,514 posts
  • Local time: 06:00 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:33 AM

#7. Winterizing

1. Drain: black, gray, fresh water tanks
2. Drain hot water heater by removing anode, (open a hot water faucet inside) - plug or reinstall anode
*Optional: blow out city water inlet with air pressure
3. BYPASS hot water heater - bypass lever horizontal
4. Add 2 gals RV (pink) antifreeze to water tank
5. Turn water pump ON
6. Open each hot/cold faucet, one at a time, until (pink) shows in both sinks, toilet (hold flush pedal down) & shower head (outside shower?)
7. Drain (reclaim) the anti-freeze from the fresh water tank to pour in the sink and shower traps (about 2 cup fulls each)
6. Add remaining antifreeze to black & gray tanks (enough to get to the dump valves)
7. Turn off circuit breakers at the service panel
8. Close propane tank valves
9. Close windows (bath may be slightly open)
10. Prop refrigerator door open
11. Leave bathroom door open
12. Cover all vents
13. Disconnect battery and/or hook-up to trickle charge

#8 Sanitizing

1. With 2-3 gallons in water tank.
2. Water heater bypass valve in OFF (vertical) and anode installed
2. Mix 1/4 cup household bleach in a gallon container of water. Add 4-5 gallons of mix to fresh water tank
3. Water pump ON, open hot/cold taps until chlorine odor is detected in both sinks.
4. Close the taps and let sit for 3 or more hours
5. After 3 or more hours, open hot / cold taps & drain the chlorinated water from the tank and water heater.
6. Refill tank with fresh water & flush the system until chlorine odor disappears
7. If necessary, a solution of 1 quart of white vinegar to 5 gals. water will neutralize the bleach
8. Then flush again with fresh water
9. Empty black, then gray holding tanks
===================================
Don in OKC - (Useta have a) 2000 16' LD, 98 Chrysler T&C

#10 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 2,337 posts
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (CarolP @ Oct 1 2007, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Carol,

We too are new to Fiberglass trailers (16' Uhaul VT) so I was excited that you had instructions on winterizing - but (and forgive me for this being a Newbie) do you not winterize because you store your egg in a garage? We have rented a large storage unit for ours (Safe and Dry) for the wet/snowy Ohio winter we experience, but it does get below freezing for days. Can you help me understand? Sorry for being slow on this type of thing, I just don't want any problems next spring for camping season...

Thanks in advance!

Carolyn

That's right, we don't bother to winterize unless we have to leave the trailer outside. The garage is detached but usually doesn't get much below 32 degrees. We have an indoor/outdoor thermometer in the garage and if the temperature starts to really drop, we put a heater inside the trailer and open the cabinet doors and access to under the benches. It has to be 10 degrees or lower outside before the garage gets very cold, I guess it's well insulated. Jack is very much into keeping track of the weather so I just leave that up to him. If it was up to me, I'd probably just winterize and not worry about it.

Here in northern Nevada it normally doesn't stay below freezing during the day and sometimes just drops below for a few hours at night. So winters can be fairly mild. But there are times when temps can stay well below freezing for a week or more, that's when we have to be careful. It's different everywhere. And better to be safe than sorry, so I would recommend winterizing since it sounds like your trailer will be some distance away from your home.
Carol Christensen

#11 ronsmith100

ronsmith100
  • Casita Club Member
  • 460 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (breckenridge @ Oct 1 2007, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone keep shore power hooked up through out the winter & then turn on a light bulb to heat the inside of the trailer ? Know "heat up the inside" is a strong phrase, but have used a light bulb in an engine compartment to keep it warm(er) than the out side temp.

Have also thought of plugging in a small block heater inside--of course would put it on a non-flamable base.

Any first hand experience or just plain thoughts would be appreciated.

I live in Southern Utah at 5000 feet and it usually gets down to the high 20s on the coldest nights (except this last year it got to a surprising 12 degrees I think it was). I do a heck of a lot of winter camping in AZ, NM, NV, CA, and Mexico where it almost never freezes in the winter. So I don't winterize. When parked at home in the freezing temps I put an electric barn-stall heater in it and open all the lower cabinet doors and the head and closet doors so the heat gets to the inside water pipes. If you forget to drain your tanks it wont break anything if it freezes although I always dump here in town when I get home.

Hope this answers your question.

Ron
RVwest
Posted Image

'06 17' SD
'01 Ranger 4.0 v6 off road 4x4
Air springs

#12 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:15 PM

Hi Don,

Thanks for the upgraded version of Winterizing & Sanitizing. I'll make a few changes to Winterizing, which must be version 25 by now. biggrin.gif

I have a question about your version of Sanitizing. It seems to dilute the bleach solution more than mine which is 1/4 cup household bleach for each gal. of water (a total of 4 - 5 gals. of solution). Your version seems to dilute that by the 2-3 gals in the tank to begin with. Is that a change you made or is that what the original actually said. I know not everyone agrees on the amount or bleach but I still use 1/4 cup per gallon of water.
Carol Christensen

#13 dnbsvc

dnbsvc
  • Casita Club Member
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:Camping, travel, reading, computers, my dog Annie, photography
  • Casita Club Directory #:1798

Posted 01 October 2007 - 04:07 PM

I'm not Don but I think you're using a lot more bleach than you need. I wouldn't use more than 1 cup for the whole tank (I have 25 gal tank). My manual is out in the trailer but it does tell you in there how much to use. Now, let's wait and see what Don says. smile.gif
Dee and Annie (4 lb Yorkie)

#14 Robert Brummett

Robert Brummett
  • Casita Club Member
  • 735 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 01 October 2007 - 04:43 PM

Do I ever hate to see that "winterize" notice! Here on the high plains we have yet to have a frost— very unusual, since we usually get one sometime in the last half of September. I'm still putting off the winter-drill as long as I can, hoping for one more trip before the snow flies! Maybe I should head south.
"OTRA"  (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#15 Don in OKC

Don in OKC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,514 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:11 PM

Carol:

Good question, I don't know the answer.

1/4 cup per gallon sounds familiar. I've parted with all my 'official' information.

That's part of a check list of 'reminders' put together about 6 years ago so all the text would fit on one 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper. It was compiled from information floating around at the time. Yes, probably revision 'X' or something. There was some good reason for starting out the sanitizing with water in the fresh water tank but I can't remember what it was. A guess would be to have the pump primed and water in the system before adding the bleach solution. Then the figures didn't get adjusted to the original mixture formula?!.........and tomorrow we feed it to Frankenstein...... biggrin.gif

Just don't want folks adding 'straight' bleach to the water already in the tank. As the saying goes, 'Don't drink and drive, you might spill it.

===

Just to be sure, you don't want/need to fill the tank.

Just enough solution to pump thru the plumbing and kill any fuzzy things that might be growing.

Edited by Don in OKC, 01 October 2007 - 06:24 PM.

Don in OKC - (Useta have a) 2000 16' LD, 98 Chrysler T&C