Photo

TRAILER TIRE BALANCING......Fact or Fiction??

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Patrick M.

Patrick M.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 571 posts
  • Local time: 04:29 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe 17' 2007

Posted 10 September 2007 - 05:37 AM

QUOTE (TNHausKat @ Sep 9 2007, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Soooooo, does anyone know about the meaning of those little red dots on the sidewalls?
5,000 red dots and the Chinese worker gets Sunday off! anim_rofl2.gif
Pat and Marilyn
2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe (Sold June 2011) & Honda Odyssey
Don't anthropomorphize your trailer - it doesn't like it.

#32 Jerry & Christine

Jerry & Christine
  • Casita Club Member
  • 50 posts
  • Local time: 05:29 PM

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:37 AM

The tire, wheel and the torsion axle on a traier are a "spring-mass system" similar to that on a car ( with the exception that there is no "damper", i.e. shock absorber other than some friction damping) that will respond to an unbalance in the rotating assembly.

Logic dictates that the rotating assembly should be balanced to prevent hammering the trailer chasis with a vibratory load and maintaining even wear on the tire. I don't know why any tire shop would recommend that trailer tires not be balanced and see no reason why Casita would recommend it except for the fact that no one sits back there to feel that load and complain about it.

Edited by Jerry & Christine, 10 September 2007 - 03:11 PM.

#33 LindyW2

LindyW2
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,033 posts
  • Interests:Casita use and problems? I'm new at camping<br>Yard Work ATVing(Bombardier traxsterMax Xt 2 seater)<br>Yard saleing, Flea Markets Watch Fob Collecting ,US coin collecting, using computer <br>Target shooting Pistols and Rifles Shooting Range in back yard<br>I'm a retired Teamster (CF road Driver)
  • Casita Club Directory #:1387

Posted 10 September 2007 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (kd5fuy @ Sep 9 2007, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I cannot believe that we are discussing such a DUMB subject. "Not ballancing a tire". Boy that is a DUMB subject. Have you ever passed your hand over the tread of a tire that has been run out of ballance? I can not believe anyone would recommend against ballancing a tire to be run at highway speeds or higher. Jimmie in MS EGG

Don
Unless things have change since I changed tires back in the 50's the red spot is where you are supose to line up the TIRE with the Valve stem on the Rim
THEN THEN THEN YOU BALANCE your tire'tires after inflating them but to US Old Timers that is just plain ole Blowing them up anim_wow.gif lol.gif

No tecnical terms from this Ole Swamp Yankee
Lindy & Sharon CC #1387
Casita Freedom Deluxe + Mods (A Hillbilly's Heaven)
2006 GMC Envoy Denali (Big Bessy) 5.3L V8 3.42 Rear axle
Prodigy brake controller
My Pictures http://community.web...m/user/lindyw43

#34 friz

friz
  • Casita Club Member
  • 749 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' LD

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:05 PM

It takes quite a bit of unbalance to feel it in the TV. I had a tread separation start 100 miles from home, but didn't realize it. Just barely heard a oscillating sound when a back window was opened, thought it was that 18 wheeler nearby. No vibration. When I got home, a 3"x1" piece of tread was missing. That's what I heard. Of course I replaced the tire the next day.

... friz

#35 Jacquee Larry and Muffin

Jacquee Larry and Muffin
  • Casita Club Member
  • 24 posts
  • Local time: 06:29 PM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 02:53 PM

I paid $7.50 each to have mine balanced, and now I can forget about it. Our new Casita now has about 7,000 miles on it, and the tires look great. Maintained at 50 psi cold and we don't exceed 65 mph.

Larry
Jacquee, Larry, and Muffin the Belgian WonderDog
Vermont
2007 17' SD (un-named)
2006 GMC 1500

#36 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:06 PM

Here is a 23 page tire care brochure on the Goodyear Tire site that addresses tire balancing for trailer tires. On Page 14 they say to balance tires anytime they are mounted, or repaired.

http://www.goodyear..../rvbrochure.pdf

Bob

#37 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
  • Local time: 07:29 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD Inneggsisle
  • Interests:kids and grand kids
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows
  • Casita Club Directory #:1193

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:33 PM

Anyone want to ride in this plane?????????? Its a China airline that flew into Frankfurt Germany and they grounded it, the germans are a bit fussy over their workmanship. the weights are seat belts to balance a vibrating engine, attached to the engine why not they even have straps attached to tie them on. Just think, in a short while according to the local newspaper they will be shipping cars over here_cid_001301c7454c_2c3c7860_0201a8c0_RCA.gif

Edited by Bill & Karen, 14 September 2007 - 05:35 PM.

Bill & Karen Sarasota, Fl. Love being Inneggsile

#38 Druupy

Druupy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 03:29 PM

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:05 AM

Balance the running gear. That means - tire, wheel, brake drum.
Most of the newer airstreams have larger brake drums so it is more important to them, but the cast iron brake drums are not balanced.
A couple of of the airstream members did not believe it so while changing their tires they checked the drums too. The worst drum was 5 ounces out of balance, most were about 2 ounces out.
So the axle factory sends axles out, and the drums are round, but they don't balance. Until the customer complains why change it?

#39 Jerry & Christine

Jerry & Christine
  • Casita Club Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (Bill & Karen @ Sep 14 2007, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone want to ride in this plane?????????? Its a China airline that flew into Frankfurt Germany and they grounded it, the germans are a bit fussy over their workmanship. the weights are seat belts to balance a vibrating engine, attached to the engine why not they even have straps attached to tie them on. Just think, in a short while according to the local newspaper they will be shipping cars over here_cid_001301c7454c_2c3c7860_0201a8c0_RCA.gif

Looks like a lot of FOD damage on the fan. I doubt that the Germans grounded it. The vibration was probably so bad, that ithe engine was out of the operating limits so it had to be removed. Could have happened on landing due to thrust reverser operation.