Photo

TRAILER TIRE BALANCING......Fact or Fiction??

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 TNHausKat

TNHausKat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 243 posts
  • Local time: 04:04 PM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 03:10 PM

I had my reality "jarred" a little today. Stopped in at my neighborhood Goodyear Tire Store to get Ole Blue alighned. Talk eventually got around to my Casita and it's new "shoes". I told the Owner/Operator that I'd gotten the new tires, had them mounted & balanced and was ready for my big trip out West.

He asked about the weight of the Casita and if it was single or multi-axle. After I gave him the information, he offered up his professional opinion............"Paying for balancing the tires on a single-axle trailer weighing that much is a waste of good money." He then went on to talk about how all tires have a "low spot" and that balancing is meant to help correct that condition AND to help keep the tires from "bouncing". He says the heavy Casita will "...keep the wheels from bouncing just fine."

OK, Folks, gimme a little feedback on this matter.......facts if possible and/or humble opinions. Any truth to what he was saying?

Thanks,

Don?Memphis

#2 davidandrachelf

davidandrachelf
  • Casita Club Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 03:26 PM

I am not an engineer or a tire expert. My common sense opinion is that at highway speeds, a balanced tire should wear more evenly and put less stress on other wheel and axel components. sad.gif
1999 Casita SD
1999 Ford F-250 Diesel

#3 jvwands

jvwands
  • Casita Club Member
  • 143 posts
  • Local time: 03:04 PM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 04:32 PM

Now I remember why I don't go to Goodyear!!! I will keep paying for balancing...
John and Betty
'ROADRUNNER"
Mesa, Az
Member 1763

#4 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:03 PM

No empirical evidence for this, but my "spurious gland" is twitching.
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#5 dnbsvc

dnbsvc
  • Casita Club Member
  • 775 posts
  • Local time: 06:04 PM
  • Interests:Camping, travel, reading, computers, my dog Annie, photography
  • Casita Club Directory #:1798

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:03 PM

I was told when I picked up my Casita that it was better not to balance the tires. So I didn't and the tires are doing fine as far as I know. I think at one time this was discussed here but it's been a while.

#6 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
  • Local time: 07:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD Inneggsisle
  • Interests:kids and grand kids
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows
  • Casita Club Directory #:1193

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:11 PM

rolleyes.gif My wife is happy with balanced tires, when we're doing 75 or 80 mph down the highway and she's riding in the back frying eggs they don't come out scrambled anymore, she likes the yokes runny unsure.gif

Bill & Karen Sarasota, Fl. Love being Inneggsile

#7 Patrick M.

Patrick M.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 571 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe 17' 2007

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:16 PM

I asked my Casita salesman about the need for balancing, and he said it was unnecessary for trailer tires unless I noticed a vibration.
Pat and Marilyn
2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe (Sold June 2011) & Honda Odyssey
Don't anthropomorphize your trailer - it doesn't like it.

#8 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
  • Local time: 07:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD Inneggsisle
  • Interests:kids and grand kids
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows
  • Casita Club Directory #:1193

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE (Patrick M. @ Sep 8 2007, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I asked my Casita salesman about the need for balancing, and he said it was unnecessary for trailer tires unless I noticed a vibration.

dry.gif Most every car or truck tire I've ever seen has balanced tires and if they didn't there would be a vibration, it stands to reason that trailer tires would also have vibration of some sort. Get them balanced, they will last longer biggrin.gif

Bill & Karen Sarasota, Fl. Love being Inneggsile

#9 LSChilders

LSChilders
  • Casita Club Member
  • 818 posts
  • Casita Club Directory #:1251

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:38 PM

My truck weighs over 6000 lbs. If one tire is out of balance, ....I can feel it. My Casita is not near as heavy, ..... I think I'll keep balancing mine. dry.gif

Edited by LSChilders, 10 September 2007 - 08:37 AM.

Larry Childers #1251 (Hillbilly, 1st Class, At your Service)
Amateur Radio K3LSC
GMRS Radio WQBL405
KY. , U.S.A.

"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration"

#10 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts
  • Local time: 05:04 PM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (Patrick M. @ Sep 8 2007, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think noticing an out-of-balance tireWAY back there in Casita would be more difficult than noticing it on your TV, so I think balancing just makes good sense, especially for the few extra bucks involved.

As far as the "heavy": Casita keeping the tires from bouncing, remember you have a suspension there that is supposed to isolate the wheels from the trailer so they CAN move up and down independent of Casita's weight. That would seem to negate his premise.

Bob

Edited by Bobinyelm, 08 September 2007 - 05:55 PM.

#11 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts
  • Local time: 05:04 PM
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:35 PM

I have pulled many trailers in my day..................mostly utility and cargo types. What I have learned from that experience is that trailers pulled at highway speeds need to have their tires balanced. If you have a utility trailer, i.e. impliment trailer, or hay hauler, that travels at much lower speeds, then the tires don't need balancing. Take a look at the tires on a rolling cement truck sometime. They wobble left and right like old wooden wheels....................but then they aren't expected to travel at 70 and 80 mph either! I pull a trailer at highway speeds and will continue to have wheels and tires balanced.

Chris
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe pulled with a White 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS.

Visit My Website

#12 Steve LaBroad

Steve LaBroad

Grand Pooh-bah

• Casita Club Member
  • 645 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita 16 SD
  • Interests:Camping, sailing, woodworking, astronomy.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1262

Posted 09 September 2007 - 04:45 AM

It's not a "low" spot, its a heavy spot. Technically, a mass imbalance.

I haven't bought tires yet but I will have the next set balanced. I don't get any sense of vibration through the hitch into the tow vehicle, but given a big enough out of balance condition you would somewhat reduce the durability of the tire. I don't expect the trailer cares much though.

Steve LaBroad (CC#1262)
2003 16' Spirit Deluxe, "Castle Pretentious"
2018 Ford Flex AWD w/Ecoboost

#13 Royce

Royce
  • Casita Club Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:25 AM

Been some excellent advice given, I will only add: If you like stress cracks, popped rivets, and broken seals then don't balance the tires. I balance the tires more for the coach then for the tires. My MInuet is 30 years old and I hope to keep it running for another 30 years. The Casita's are so well built that there is no reason they couldn't give 50+ years of service if well kept.
Royce
www.spearfishcreek.net
KORKK
'77' Minuet 6 Metre

#14 Bob

Bob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 574 posts
  • Casita Club Directory #:1317

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:16 AM

Our local tire guru doesn't think balancing is necessary for a trailer, but will do it if that's what the customer wants. The Trailer Life Manual is silent on the point. I did have the wheels balanced on the Casita when I bought new tires, but I don't think the Bigfoot has been balanced. Another tire thread!!! tongue.gif
Bob and Peggy
Bigfoot 17CB, had Casita 17SD
'05 Jeep GC Limited 4.7L V8
Sierra Nevada (hills)

#15 Patrick M.

Patrick M.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 571 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe 17' 2007

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:56 AM

Balancing discussion over at Trailer Life if you can't get enough of it here: http://www.trailerli...ng/1/page/1.cfm

Looks like its about 50/50 over there.
Pat and Marilyn
2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe (Sold June 2011) & Honda Odyssey
Don't anthropomorphize your trailer - it doesn't like it.