• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 KokomoJoe

KokomoJoe
  • Casita Club Member
  • 558 posts
  • Local time: 01:44 PM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:46 PM

We have about 6,000 miles on our Goodyear tires (2006 17ftSD). We're on a long trip now. Fortunately my husband noticed yesterday that one tire had chunk of center tire tread missing (about 2in.X 1.5)...exposing the steel belting! Unbelievable! He replaced it w/ the spare! Anyone else w/ this problem? And what have you used to replace??? Help! We're both thrilled it didn't blow when we were on the highway or when we were in a 3 hour Chicago traffic jam Sunday! Thanks for your help! Happy Trails! KokomoJoe

#2 meanders

meanders
  • Casita Club Member
  • 645 posts
  • Local time: 02:44 PM
  • Interests:travel<br />biochemistry
  • Casita Club Directory #:2338

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:52 PM

Wow!
check out the Tire section in the After Market for a LONG discussion on replacement tires.
Glad you are safe!
meanders smile.gif
meanders
Denton, Tx
Honda Ridgeline RT
2006 SD 17
Prodigy
Casita Club # 2338

#3 friz

friz
  • Casita Club Member
  • 750 posts
  • Local time: 02:44 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' LD

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:18 PM

Same thing happened to my Goodyears, they were 3 years old, and used approx. 20,000 miles.

It was almost like there was a built in time delay, they failed within 2 weeks of each other. The dealer said that moisture must have entered, caused a bubble when they got hot and bulged the tread out. I had a patch on one, but it didn't fail at the patch.

The sidewalls were strong enough that the rim didn't get damaged even after driving 1/2 mi to pull off.

I'm not sure if I would get better service from another brand like Carlisle, etc. The Gooyears ride softer than the original tires so the stuff in the trailer doesn't get re-arranged as much.

I bought mile locally for $87.50 each, mounted.

... friz

Edited by friz, 27 August 2007 - 07:20 PM.

#4 KokomoJoe

KokomoJoe
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 558 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:48 PM

friz...These ARE the original tires...Goodyears! Did I misunderstand you? Thanks for the response! Happy Trails! KokomoJoe

#5 cdsmith

cdsmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,458 posts
  • Local time: 03:44 PM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:53 PM

I had two Goodyear Marathons fail last month on a trip ti LA and Salt Lake City. The same thing happened to my tires. A bulge appeared in the tread and the tread seperated exposing the steel belt.

Fortunately for me I recognized that I had a tire problem before they blew out.

I now have Khumo 857 on the ground.
Joyce and Charlie Smith, Princess Lily, Rose, and Violet - Grand Prairie, TX
RV: 1999 SD "The Little Egg"
TV: 2007 Escalade 2WD 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
Brake Control: Dexter Predator DX-2

#6 LabLover

LabLover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, Biking, Michener, Chess, Bridge, Formula One, Golf, Horseshoes, Darts, Volleyball, Labrador Retrievers.
  • Casita Club Directory #:2525

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:27 PM

As soon as I take delivery I plan on buying a rear view camera, with three separate feeds. One feed for backing up, and one feed in each wheel well to keep an eye on the Badyears. Don't know what worries me more, driving through Texas with Oregon plates, or the ill named Marathons?
Mike & Kacey
'08 17SD "Tess"
'04 Pilot EXL
Oregon Coast

#7 Don in OKC

Don in OKC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:58 PM

I think this is where Eric wants the tire talk......

http://www.casitaclu...hp?showforum=32

or go back to:

The Casita Club > Main Forums> The After-Market Accessories Forum > Tire Reports
Don in OKC - (Useta have a) 2000 16' LD, 98 Chrysler T&C

#8 KokomoJoe

KokomoJoe
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 558 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:07 PM

I didn't realize...until after I posted...that there was a one and only place to post re: tires! Actually I can't think of how I would know this without others pointing it out to me. Are there any other topics that must be taken to a very seperate place? I had done a search re: "tires" but that didn't help. Why and how did this thread become so separate? And Don in OKC...can you enlighten me on the topic while we're at it? Have you had tire troubles? If so many have had trouble w/ the Goodyears why does Casita keep putting them on our lovely little homes? (It's always money! Don't know why I asked! LOL)
And YES we'll be calling Casita to let them know what happened after so few miles! Happy Trails! KokomoJoe

#9 Don in OKC

Don in OKC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:49 PM

Oh, the thread got sort of negative and was ramping up. Eric sure put it out of the way.

So BE NICE
Don in OKC - (Useta have a) 2000 16' LD, 98 Chrysler T&C

#10 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 12:44 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:29 AM

The Tire Report subforum is a recent addition.

You'd only know about it if you brought up the Main Forums page and saw it there.

I don't believe Eric formally 'announced' it anywhere (but I could be wrong).

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#11 Ben Idle

Ben Idle
  • Casita Club Member
  • 692 posts
  • Local time: 04:44 PM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:52 AM

QUOTE (ArizonaEileen @ Aug 29 2007, 07:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You'd only know about it if you brought up the Main Forums page and saw it there.

Eileen

QUOTE (Eric Mayer @ Jul 20 2007, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In order to cut down on the numerous tire reports within the general Casita Club forum, this is now the place to post your tire reports. As always, please keep your discussions topical and civil.

Thanks!

Eric cool.gif

QUOTE (Eric Mayer @ Jul 20 2007, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can find it under the "Aftermarket Accessories Forum". Feel free to post your tire reports, questions, etc under this new forum. I have also moved all the tire threads I could locate from the last month (11) into this new forum.

Eric cool.gif

Eric "formally 'announced' " it in two posts on 20 July 2007:

http://www.casitaclu...?showtopic=8716

http://www.casitaclu...p...&qpid=73015
Ben dry.gif

Edited by Ben Idle, 29 August 2007 - 05:11 AM.

2006 17' LD Casita
Owned and operated since Nov. 2005

#12 jkornfeld

jkornfeld
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:37 AM

I have been using 185/80/13 goodyear radials on my scamp and have had no problems whatsoever, I keep them aired at 50lbs. have them balanced when they are new and thats it. scamp suggested that whichever tire i used to make sure it was a radial, I know that there are other tires available with a class d rating where as the goodyear has a c rating. the d rating has a heavier rating but according to scamp there is a noticable differance in the ride, I noticed on one thread they advised buying goodyears made in united states or canada, no problems with those manufacturers.

#13 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (Ben Idle @ Aug 29 2007, 04:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ArizonaEileen @ Aug 29 2007, 07:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Eileen

QUOTE (Eric Mayer @ Jul 20 2007, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In order to cut down on the numerous tire reports within the general Casita Club forum, this is now the place to post your tire reports. As always, please keep your discussions topical and civil.

Thanks!

Eric cool.gif

QUOTE (Eric Mayer @ Jul 20 2007, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can find it under the "Aftermarket Accessories Forum". Feel free to post your tire reports, questions, etc under this new forum. I have also moved all the tire threads I could locate from the last month (11) into this new forum.

Eric cool.gif

Eric "formally 'announced' " it in two posts on 20 July 2007:

http://www.casitaclu...?showtopic=8716

http://www.casitaclu...p...&qpid=73015
Ben dry.gif

Ben --

I don't have time to read each and every post placed in these forums everyday.

My disclaimer was, "I could be wrong." You went to great lengths to prove that.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#14 Ben Idle

Ben Idle
  • Casita Club Member
  • 692 posts
  • Local time: 04:44 PM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (ArizonaEileen @ Aug 29 2007, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ben --

I don't have time to read each and every post placed in these forums everyday.

My disclaimer was, "I could be wrong." You went to great lengths to prove that.

Eileen

Eileen,
I don't remember asking you to read every post every day! However, any posts by a webmaster always gets MY attention.

I quoted your disclaimer, "I could be wrong." in BOLDFACE type. What more do you want....your own sub-forum.

One doesn't have to go to "great lengths" at all........just push the Quote button, but thanks for your concern!
Ben blink.gif

2006 17' LD Casita
Owned and operated since Nov. 2005

#15 frosin

frosin
  • Casita Club Member
  • 672 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 02:29 PM

I'm not sure how the discussion of the stock tires that Casita puts on the trailers they sell becomes an After-Market Accessories discussion... but it's not my forum, so I'll just play by the rules.

In Eileen's defense (although she defends herself pretty well on her own), most people that haven't been on the forum in several days probably don't go searching through the back pages looking for an obscure post announcing the creation of a sub-forum under After-Market Accessories. My guess is that mostly just the folks that were involved with the rather long threads a couple of months ago know about it, and everyone else doesn't.

Some of you folks read and post every day, and some even several times per day. I check the forums often, but I don't see or read every post on every subject. Also, unless I'm looking for something specific (or am really bored), I usually don't go past the first page of topics. Once Eric's post makes it to the second page, it's pretty much out of my field of interest.

Fred
Fred and Mary
'99 17' SD
2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
San Antonio, Texas

"The Road Goes On Forever and the Party Never Ends". Robert Earl Keen