Installed Load Range Ds and Want Feedback

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Collins

Peter Collins
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 05:40 PM
  • Interests:birding, ecology, photography, national parks, monuments, and historical sites
  • Casita Club Directory #:1124

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:56 PM

I installed Kumho 851 or 857 tires, load range D, 14 inch rims, believing I have done a good thing. (I'm a veteran of 4 blowouts of various load range Cs--Goodyear, Carlisle, and Nanking (spelling ?) all provided the excitement.)

What are others' experience with these babies? They are seriously heavy duty, as my children would say.

Peter

#2 Ben Idle

Ben Idle
  • Casita Club Member
  • 692 posts
  • Local time: 06:40 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:27 PM

Peter,
Just in case your thread gets moved, you will probably find it in a special section for Tire Reports in The After-Market Accessories Forum located here:
http://www.casitaclu...hp?showforum=32

In addition you may find some of your answers already there.
Ben biggrin.gif

Edited by Ben Idle, 19 August 2007 - 05:29 PM.

2006 17' LD Casita
Owned and operated since Nov. 2005

#3 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts
  • Local time: 04:40 PM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:53 PM

Flawless so far (3000+ miles) on 857s.

Check the "other" forum as well for comments.
No unhappy 857 users there as far as I know, either.

Bob

#4 Gary J. Carter

Gary J. Carter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Boating, RVing, Backpacking, etc.<br />Music (Guitar, Keyboards, Singing)<br />Amateur Radio, Amatuer Astronomy<br />Woodworking, Metalworking<br />Travel to new places<br />Making new friends
  • Casita Club Directory #:2433

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:21 PM

2000+ miles on Kumho 857's and 14" aluminum wheels running 60lbs. pressure based upon my Casita's loaded weight. I retorqued the lugs after the first 400 miles and nothing has loosened since. I check the the pressure and lugnut torque prior to each major leg of a trip and the tire temperature at fuel stops. Aside from this I don't worry about the trailer tires any more than I do on my truck or automobile.

Read the tech notes available from Discount Tire here: http://www.discountt...erTireFacts.dos It is probably one of the better references on trailer tires.

Gary, Cynthia, & Samantha

2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe, a.k.a. "OverEasy"
Kumho 205QR-14 Radial 857
Dual Honda 2000i Generators
2002 GMC Sierra HD Duramax
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
Reese Anti-Sway bar
CasitaClub Directory #2433
Callsign: KL7NE

#5 Eggalitarian

Eggalitarian
  • Casita Club Member
  • 222 posts
  • Interests:Travel

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:22 AM

QUOTE (Gary J. Carter @ Sep 12 2007, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2000+ miles on Kumho 857's and 14" aluminum wheels running 60lbs. pressure based upon my Casita's loaded weight. I retorqued the lugs after the first 400 miles and nothing has loosened since. I check the the pressure and lugnut torque prior to each major leg of a trip and the tire temperature at fuel stops. Aside from this I don't worry about the trailer tires any more than I do on my truck or automobile.

Read the tech notes available from Discount Tire here: http://www.discountt...erTireFacts.dos It is probably one of the better references on trailer tires.

Gary,
It would appear "new" posts on threads this old bordering on commercials for TIRES belong in the Tire Reports forum.

Read the advisory notes available from Webmaster here: http://www.casitaclu...hp?showforum=32

Eggalitarian biggrin.gif

#6 micasita_17

micasita_17
  • Casita Club Member
  • 226 posts
  • Local time: 03:40 PM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:40 AM

QUOTE (Eggalitarian @ Sep 12 2007, 04:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gary,
It would appear "new" posts on threads this old bordering on commercials for TIRES belong in the Tire Reports forum.

Read the advisory notes available from Webmaster here: http://www.casitaclu...hp?showforum=32

Eggalitarian biggrin.gif

I agree, Egalitarian.

Those who wish to desert our remaining American manufacturing companies, like Goodyear, as well as totally disregard what the company that MAKES our trailers installs for us, should take their commercials for their Foreign Corporations to the obscure thread where Eric intended them to go so no one has to see it.

To my knowledge, none of the people putting these foreign tires on their Casitas are really qualified as tire experts, so I choose not to be swayed by amateurs who think they are smarter than those who DESIGNED our trailers.

Who knows, maybe some are even "shills" employed by the foreign company sent to various US forums to sell their product? Apologies to those who are just innocent victims taken in by all this hype, of course.

Paula

Edited by micasita_17, 12 September 2007 - 06:45 AM.

Paula and Dennis
2000 Casita 17SD
Waco, Texas

#7 Ben Idle

Ben Idle
  • Casita Club Member
  • 692 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:52 AM

QUOTE (micasita_17 @ Sep 12 2007, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those who wish to desert our remaining American manufacturing companies, like Goodyear, as well as totally disregard what the company that MAKES our trailers installs for us, should take their commercials for their Foreign Corporations to the obscure thread where Eric intended them to go.

To my knowledge, none of the people putting these foreign tires on their Casitas are really qualified as tire experts, so I choose not to be swayed by amateurs who think they are smarter than those who DESIGNED our trailers.

Who knows, maybe some are even "shills" employed by the foreign company sent to various US forums to sell their product?
Paula

Yee! Haw!

"Our Paula" is back! The world is NOT flat. Welcome and keep the thoughts flowing.
Ben wub.gif

2006 17' LD Casita
Owned and operated since Nov. 2005

#8 Luckyman

Luckyman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 973 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:54 AM

It don't get no better than this.

And, to think that some people watch television to be entertained. anim_wow.gif
Life is like a roll of toilet paper............the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes.

Retirement is getting up in the morning with absolutely nothing to do, and going to bed at night with half of it done.

#9 Patt

Patt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 412 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe, 2006
  • Interests:Birding, weaving, spinning, reading, camping, Maps, crocheting, church librarian, travel, genealogy, hats, photography,computering, DAR, grandchildren.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1832

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:58 AM

Amen, Paula, and regardless of "great prices", I do not shop at Wal-Mart. As you can tell from my signature, I'm 100% for American made.
Patt
2006 17' Liberty Deluxe, aka "Iliad" (towed by an Odyssey)

#10 KountryKamper

KountryKamper
  • Casita Club Member
  • 383 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Escape 19'

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:46 AM

Those who wish to desert our remaining American manufacturing companies, like Goodyear, as well as totally disregard what the company that MAKES our trailers installs for us, should take their commercials for their Foreign Corporations to the obscure thread where Eric intended them to go so no one has to see it.

Who knows, maybe some are even "shills" employed by the foreign company sent to various US forums to sell their product? Apologies to those who are just innocent victims taken in by all this hype, of course.

Paula

LOL, better go look closer at the sidewall of those beloved GoodYears. I hope you speak Chinese. ohmy.gif

Edited by KountryKamper, 12 September 2007 - 10:03 AM.

Tom & Cheryl
07 17' FD
06 Tundra

EggCampingClub.com

#11 texasegg

texasegg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:retirement,camping,grandchildren
  • Casita Club Directory #:2507

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:53 AM

Folks,
Casita uses the tires that cost them the least money and meets the min requirements. There is no question a load range D tire will be better than a load range C tire.

#12 frosin

frosin
  • Casita Club Member
  • 672 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:27 AM

Hey Paula-

Have you received your HONDA Ridgeline yet? I saw your post the other day saying that you ordered one. The Ford, Chevy, GMC, and Dodge guys are looking for you.

Should we all listen to you? Are you smarter than the vast majority of people that may not agree with your opinion?

If you don't want to change to Kumho tires, that's fine with me. I won't try to convince tou to think MY way. Please convey the same respect to the rest of us.

Fred
Fred and Mary
'99 17' SD
2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
San Antonio, Texas

"The Road Goes On Forever and the Party Never Ends". Robert Earl Keen

#13 stlek

stlek
  • Casita Club Member
  • 604 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:04 PM

honda ridgeline;japanese canadian.

http://www.consumerr..._glo.htm#usabot

steve and kathy wszolek
05 liberty"The White House"

#14 TNHausKat

TNHausKat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:11 AM

Here's what I now know for sure.............after replacing my factory issued Goodyears with Kumho 857 load range D 14"s, I drove 4,633 miles from Memphis to CO, WY, MT, SD and back to MEM. The improvement in how my 17'SD towed/handled was apparent from the get-go. Whether it was on I-40 or on some poorly maintained two lane asphalt road or on some washboard gravel road, the Kumho's made all the difference in the world. I keep 55psi in them and that seems to work just fine. There was no noticeable wear on either tire after 4,600 miles. My towing peace of mind has improved tremendously.

Don/Memphis

#15 Jay herb

Jay herb
  • Casita Club Member
  • 177 posts
  • Local time: 02:40 PM

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:23 AM

Don,
I agree with you on changing to Kumho tires, just finish a 3,000 + miles to Utah and did a lot of back roads and some interstates and I love the way the Kumhos handled much better than the Good Years.
I had little over 20,000 miles on the Good Years with no problems but the handling is much better with the kumhos. Jay

Edited by Jay herb, 23 October 2007 - 02:13 PM.

Julien, aka ( Jay Herb )
So. Oregon
2002 Casita 17' SD