• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 crabeyes

crabeyes
  • Casita Club Member
  • 214 posts
  • Local time: 04:34 PM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 04:44 PM

It would be interesting to know if the heavier side of your Casita is a culprit in blowing tires.
On my trailer the passenger side has more storage and equipment. That is the side I had the tread failure.
I'm looking for a trend to see if the load C tires are marginal on the loaded side of the trailer.
Larry (crabeyes) & Gwyn
"Eggy Sue" - 2005 16SD w/vented catalytic heater
2007 Honda Pilot, Dark Cherry EXL-4WD
Tucson, AZ

#2 frosin

frosin
  • Casita Club Member
  • 672 posts
  • Local time: 06:34 PM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:48 PM

Brad (of Brad/Bev) was doing a survey several months ago among people that had tire failures. Mine was on the "door" side of a 17' Spirit Deluxe. Most of the failures that I've heard about were on the same side. It's also the heavier side with the sink, refrigerator, microwave, and pantry. This theory also supports the notion that the 17' is just at the limits of the Goodtear ST 14" tires.

But that's a story that's been discussed a time or two.

Fred
Fred and Mary
'99 17' SD
2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
San Antonio, Texas

"The Road Goes On Forever and the Party Never Ends". Robert Earl Keen

#3 CC-John

CC-John

Iconoclast

• Rally Organizer
  • 686 posts
  • Local time: 05:34 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17SD
  • Interests:Classic Fiberglass Boats, Hot Babes, Fine Cigars, & Good Whiskey
  • Trailer Name:No Tell Motel & Cigar Lounge

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:17 AM

QUOTE (frosin @ Jul 26 2007, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brad (of Brad/Bev) was doing a survey several months ago among people that had tire failures. Mine was on the "door" side of a 17' Spirit Deluxe. Most of the failures that I've heard about were on the same side. It's also the heavier side with the sink, refrigerator, microwave, and pantry. This theory also supports the notion that the 17' is just at the limits of the Goodtear ST 14" tires.

But that's a story that's been discussed a time or two.

Fred

Fred brings up a very good point.....

After seeing some of the loaded weights posted for the 17' models, I'm beginning to think the 3500# axle is a bit marginal for these trailers.. The 17's would be better off with a 5000# axle w/12" brakes, and 225/75R 15 D (8-ply) tires...

CC-John

"I void warranties"

FGRV #1 1973 Century Resorter 16 - Powered by Chrysler LM318 225HP V-8

BOAT PICS

FGRV #2 1978 Chris*Craft 251 Catalina Express - Powered by PCM 383 Chevy V-8 340HP

BOAT PICS

FGRV #3 2007 Casita 17SD - Powered by Onan CampPower 2500LP

CASITA PICS

#4 crabeyes

crabeyes
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:18 AM

That is my thinking too. I have a 16SD and the bulk of equipment and storage is on the door side. I'm also thinking the axle is marginal but works. The tire gets hot from the extra loading particularly on cornering and is less than marginal. Then when in storage, the tread bond futher looses strength. I plan on replacing rubber every three years. I'm just wondering if I only have to replace the door side tire if I do not rotate.

I know that the topic has been beat to death, but there are new owners out there and safety awareness due to a design weakness should be brought up every so often. Maybe a new owner will come up with a new solution.

As well, Eric in is infinite wisdom has given this topic a home so it can stay in the forefront (and not to clutter the regular forum).
Larry (crabeyes) & Gwyn
"Eggy Sue" - 2005 16SD w/vented catalytic heater
2007 Honda Pilot, Dark Cherry EXL-4WD
Tucson, AZ

#5 cdsmith

cdsmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:36 AM

Have had two blowouts in the 4 years we have had our 17' SD. Both on the lighter, driver's side.
Joyce and Charlie Smith, Princess Lily, Rose, and Violet - Grand Prairie, TX
RV: 1999 SD "The Little Egg"
TV: 2007 Escalade 2WD 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
Brake Control: Dexter Predator DX-2

#6 Sandy W

Sandy W
  • Rally Organizer
  • 238 posts
  • Local time: 07:34 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:none
  • Interests:My grandkids! Like to go camping.

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:46 AM

Our tire just exploded on the door side of our 17' SD before we got 10 miles down the road for vacation! 6-ply tires were impossible to find in our town (except by special order) so we spent the next 4 hours getting BOTH tires replaced at a tire place in Dayton, OH! Scared the bejeebers out of us! Everyone - better keep an eye on your tires!

Sandy

Edited by sandywebb, 20 August 2007 - 06:47 AM.

#7 Patrick M.

Patrick M.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 571 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe 17' 2007

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:24 AM

I think its unconscionable that Casita has not responded to all these reports by upgrading their tires to a higher load rating. I plan to talk to my sales rep next month when I pick mine up about the subject.

On the other hand, they sell what, 600 a year?, with only a few percentage of those finding this forum, and even fewer reporting tire failures, so maybe its *not* a major problem! But if I have a blowout under 10,000 miles I will be extremely disappointed, as I had 24,000 miles on the tires of my Scamp 13' when I sold it and they looked new!
Pat and Marilyn
2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe (Sold June 2011) & Honda Odyssey
Don't anthropomorphize your trailer - it doesn't like it.

#8 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:10 AM

Patrick - the tires on my new Scamp (2005 5vr) were the same make and size as were on my new Casita (2007 17 SD) - Goodyear Marathon ST205x14 radial. Had two tread seperation failures on the Scamp, one day apart.

Learning my lesson, picked up my Casita and a couple of days later had Kumho 857 Radials installed with metal valve stems. The OEM Goodyears went on my very light utility trailer replacing a couple of 13" tires that were 8 years old.
Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#9 redwards

redwards
  • Removed
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:31 AM

Don,

You and the others are making me re-think my strategy. When I pick up my new Casita in November, I was planning on driving back to Florida with the Goodyears, and then changing them out for Kumhos before any first major trip.

Now I am wondering if I should buy the Kumhos and go through the time and trouble of finding someone to them on near the Casita Factory -- before I head back to Florida???

Can anyone offer any advice or information? Has anyone had a Goodyear failure within the first 1,000 miles after picking up the trailer?

Also, I would love to hear from those of you who have changed out to the Kumho tires and find out:
1) Are you still using the original Casita wheels?
2) What pressure are you running in them, if in the original wheels?

Can anyone suggest a place near the Casita Plant where I could get the tires changed, if I decide to bring Kumho tires with me to Texas?

As for the new Tire Reports location (in the Aftermarket), I still think it does a disservice to a lot of Casita owners or buyers, because the posts here are so easily overlooked by those who just follow the Main Casita Forum.

I could never understand why a few people got so irrationally angry about reports that the Goodyear tires are less than ideal. Recently, however, I found out that for a few folks it might be a political issue.

To me the Goodyear politics are not all that important, and I just care about safety and not having to face a tire failure in some out of the way place. But for those of you who might be interested, it turns out that Goodyear has "restructured" itself and has eliminated thousands of jobs at its plants in various cities in the U.S. as well as in the many plants around the world that it owns. Then last summer Goodyear replaced all its union employees in a labor dispute. Finally, there was the U.S. Supreme Court decision of some Goodyear female employee who found out many years later that she was being paid much less than males who did the identically same job. She lost, because the Court ruled that any disparity more than 180 days could not be considered.

Like I said, it is not all that important to me, because I doubt that Goodyear is no better or worse a corporate citizen than most other American corporations. I just wonder if the politics plays into why a few get so upset with anyone saying anything about Goodyear tires.

#10 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:33 AM

redwoods......
I am using the original casita wheels with my new kumho's and running 55lbs of pressure as many advised me on this forum..... I have to admit they run much cooler but you have to remember they are load range "D" so they can take more abuse.
As for driving back to florida with your marathons.........Being it's November and the roads will be very cool i would say keep your speed down to about 60mph and it should be fine..... this is only my opinion and am sure somebody else will have a different take on this which i respect "everybody's"opinion.
hope this helps. biggrin.gif
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#11 Chris Z

Chris Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 788 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' SD

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:01 PM

have blown one Marathon on passenger side of my 17' SD. Well, not really blown, just went out-of-round and made the whole trailer bump. Probably 90 degrees in FL on I-95
#2077 Louisville, Ky
2006 Black Chevy Suburban
2005 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

#12 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (redwards @ Aug 21 2007, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now I am wondering if I should buy the Kumhos and go through the time and trouble of finding someone to them on near the Casita Factory -- before I head back to Florida???

Can anyone offer any advice or information? Has anyone had a Goodyear failure within the first 1,000 miles after picking up the trailer?

Also, I would love to hear from those of you who have changed out to the Kumho tires and find out:
1) Are you still using the original Casita wheels?
2) What pressure are you running in them, if in the original wheels?

Having just picked up your egg at Rice, you will be running extra light, and (as Joe said) in a cool part of the year.

I would just make sure that the checkout person, probably Jonathan, guages the tires at 50 psi and double checks the lug nuts. Head out towards Houston and run easy, maybe 60 mph, for about 200 miles to get a feel for the tow and let the bearings, brakes and tires settle in a little. When you hook a left in Houston I would go ahead and take it up to 65, or as much of it as I-10 construction will let you do. Remember that the ST tires are rated for a max of 65 mph so, for my money, wouldn't push it.

When I picked mine up I took my torque wrench and checked the lugs, all were ok except one was a little loose. Drove 150 miles home and check them again, two were a little loose - just my personal experience.

No miles on the Kumho tires yet - but after seeing, touching, lifting and mounting them I already feel better. See the process at: http://tinyurl.com/2ppqlj

Don
Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#13 Patrick M.

Patrick M.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 571 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe 17' 2007

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:15 AM

I talked to my salesman two days ago about the tire topic. (I pick up my trailer in 3 weeks). He said they are well-aware of the Kumhos tire topic, but they have not changed tires because 1) they don't get a lot of reports of tire problems from their customers, and 2) they want the tires matched to the trailer capacity so owners are not encouraged to overload the Casita capacity.

He said, as I've also seen in these forums, that when you have a flat you may not notice it, and travel down the road until a nail hole creates a "blow out".

So, I intend to keep the orginal tires, properly inflated, and see what my experience is. I'll either be back with "well, I got my blowout and have ordered Kumhos", or "I'm now at 20,000 miles and the tires are just fine."

Edited by Patrick M., 22 August 2007 - 09:16 AM.

Pat and Marilyn
2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe (Sold June 2011) & Honda Odyssey
Don't anthropomorphize your trailer - it doesn't like it.

#14 Mrs. Charlie C

Mrs. Charlie C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 263 posts
  • Casita Club Directory #:1459

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:53 PM

dry.gif I have generally stayed out of this discussion because I am happy with my Canadian Made Goodyear Marathons Circa 2002

I notice that the Marathons now on the market both in Canada and USA are Chinese made. Has there not been a recent recall or halt on the sale of Chinese made tires because they were lacking the proper material to bond the belts together, therefore leading to abnormal numbers of tire breakdowns or blowouts????

Let's not bash Casita too hard. Like many of us, they are just the little guy trying to make a somewhat honest living. Their trailers have a weight rating and they are installing tires that are sold to them that carry a certification of that rating. They sure aren't making the big bucks like Goodyear!! Let's try bashing the importers of junk and the politicians who allow them to import crap that puts us, and our families all in harms way.

This issue is a lot bigger than the few tires that Casita puts on their trailers.

Edited by Charlie C, 22 August 2007 - 09:54 PM.

Sandy, Charlie, Rocky --#1459-- Richmond Hill, Ontario
Millenium Edition "Eggloo" 17SD -- 2003 Dodge Caravan

#15 RangerDuke

RangerDuke
  • Casita Club Member
  • 29 posts
  • Local time: 03:34 PM
  • Interests:Camping, NASCAR races, DO cooking

Posted 01 October 2007 - 04:37 PM

Mr Don,
We picked up our 17"SDL last June and headed to Ocala Florida where we camped for a couple of days. While there, we loaded up the casita with the equipment we had in the TV and then headed to Ft Lauderdale. We returned in time for the Daytona Pepsi 400 and then returned home. Then in August we went to Harrisburg PA for an airborne convention and toured our way back. In the latter part of August we traveled to Southern CA for the California NESCAR 500. From there we went to Missoula Montana and on to the black hills and Mt Rushmore.
We stayed on the road for three weeks on that trip and all with the original tires. I do monitor the tire preasure regularly and perform tire inspections during my refueling stops. Still have the original tire valves as well albeit will be replacing them with steel stems when we return from our next trip which starts this Wednesday for a couple of weeks. Sooo, given the fact the weather should be much cooler, I feel you will be safe getting home and then some. Hope this helps you out and do enjoy that Casita as much as we are enjoying ours. Ranger Duke from San Antonio Texas.
Ranger Duke & Bev
San Antonio, Texas
2007 17'SD "Casita Bonita"
TV 2007 Nissan Frontier NE
"We B Cruzing"