• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 darwol

darwol
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 03:04 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:01 AM

<!--quoteo(post=117930:date=Oct 16 2009, 07:46 AM:name=Kris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kris @ Oct 16 2009, 07:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=117930"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->New Marathons
Go to Maxxis and going to 15" or staying with 14"

Ralph<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you have a high lift axle, go with the 15" Load D Maxxis. Final answer.

Eileen

Our 2010 has 15" d rated Marathons which are run at 60#s (per Casita) and 62 mph or under (per goodyear). They now have 10,000 + miles. I'm conviced if you use these or any other tire properly they're OK. (If storing, raise tires OFF the ground and rotate weekly; cover them to protect from sun; replace every 2.5 years; run at stated pressure and speed. I would bet 99% of the tires that have problems did not follow these requirements! Goodyear Marathons outsell every other tire brand by thousands, are available most places, and are reasonably priced. I follow all these requirements except storage, so I'll replace them after 2 years! I believe pressure, speed, and age are the most critical issues.

If they are off the ground and covered from sunlight, why rotate them?

Good Question!!! With regard to the Maxxis tires, surely there is a comparable D rated tire available that is made in the U.S.. I prefer to buy American whenever possible.

#17 jerrybetsy

jerrybetsy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 04:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:38 PM

We have a 17 ft Casita and received it in April 2010. It has the optional 15 inch goodyear tires. In July 2011, with about 10,000 miles on them I had a tire failure. I am very careful to check the pressure before every trip and drive 60 to 65 mph with primarily interstate travel. I had rotated the tires at 5000 miles and the tire that failed had been the spare and was put on the ground on passenger side. Therefore it had about 5000 miles on it. It developed two large blisters and they wore down to about 1/16 thread very quickly. I replaced it before it blew out.
I have had problems with Goodyear in the past and will not replace the other tires with them.

#18 Maestro Bob

Maestro Bob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 24 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17' Liberty Deluxe
  • Interests:music and outdoors

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

I'm planning on upgrading to 15", is it okay to use a 15x7 instead of 15x6 rims for a 225x75x15 maxis tire?
Please advice.
Thank you,
Robert

#19 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:14 AM

Bob --

Seems this would be something your tire dealer could advise you about.

BTW, in response to the post above yours (JerryBetsy), some members have posted that it's best NOT to rotate the tires. Just have them balanced and be sure to get metal stems.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#20 schatzie

schatzie
  • Casita Club Member
  • 225 posts
  • Local time: 06:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

When replacing the Casita tires, is it necessary to replace the metal stem as well? I have always replaced the stem with new tires, but those stems were rubber. Do the metal stems wear out like the rubber ones did, or are they more permanent?
Bob & Ginny Schattschneider
South Milwaukee, WI.
2009 Casita 17' SD
2004 Ford F-150 FX4