19 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer
  • Admin
  • 4,025 posts
  • Local time: 03:54 AM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1000

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:09 AM

In order to cut down on the numerous tire reports within the general Casita Club forum, this is now the place to post your tire reports. As always, please keep your discussions topical and civil.

Thanks!

Eric cool.gif

The Casita Club

----------

Here is a video tutorial on how to upload images to your post:
How To Attach an Image to Your Post

#2 johnlochbuie

johnlochbuie
  • Casita Club Member
  • 276 posts
  • Local time: 04:54 AM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:38 PM

I don't know why everybody has so many problems with their tires I kept the pressure at 50lbs and make sure I do not overload the trailer and I have had my casita since 2002. The experts say the number 1 cause of tire failure is overloading and incorrect tire pressure.

#3 cdsmith

cdsmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,458 posts
  • Local time: 05:54 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:53 AM

You don't say how many miles you have logged since 2002.

I had the same opinion that you stated: tire pressure, speed, and load.

Both of my Carlyles failed on our last trip. 11,756 miles on one and 13,447 miles on the other. Tread on both looked brand new. Both failed the same way, A blister forms on the tread and the tread wears down to the steel belts. Fortunately I discovered both failures before they went flat, came apart, and damaged the Casita.

Good luck to you with your tires.
Joyce and Charlie Smith, Princess Lily, Rose, and Violet - Grand Prairie, TX
RV: 1999 SD "The Little Egg"
TV: 2007 Escalade 2WD 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
Brake Control: Dexter Predator DX-2

#4 Jackdog

Jackdog
  • Casita Club Member
  • 200 posts
  • Local time: 02:54 AM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:55 AM

Since I got to experience a "Bad Year" blow out (at 5900 miles) I have ordered my Kuhmo's today. They should be in this week and will on the egg by the time I head out to Eastern Sierra next month.

I'm keeping the Good Year spare due to hoping it will never be used.

Jack Dog in
So Cal cool.gif

Edited by Jackdog, 14 October 2008 - 08:56 AM.

#5 Larry the bass guy

Larry the bass guy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 18 posts
  • Local time: 06:54 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:54 PM

First, I am new to posting tho I have viewed quite a few for the past several weeks. Also, I am in the process of buying a 2005 16 foot Scamp and want to discuss tires. Many posts indicate the Goodyear Marathon tire has issues. The Scamp uses a 175-80R-13 tire. While the wheel well on the trailer will not accommodate a larger tire diameter, a different size rim size and tire in the same overall diameter should work. Using a 14 inch rim and a 185-70R-14 tire should work as it is just about the same overall diameter ( within 2/10 of an inch diameter ). The tires available in that size are car radial tires with plenty of different brands and models. Has anyone tried this approach.
Seems to me to be a viable option.

Larry the bass guy
in the Adirondacks

#6 Ken Ball

Ken Ball
  • Casita Club Member
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (Larry the bass guy @ Feb 18 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First, I am new to posting tho I have viewed quite a few for the past several weeks. Also, I am in the process of buying a 2005 16 foot Scamp and want to discuss tires. Many posts indicate the Goodyear Marathon tire has issues. The Scamp uses a 175-80R-13 tire. While the wheel well on the trailer will not accommodate a larger tire diameter, a different size rim size and tire in the same overall diameter should work. Using a 14 inch rim and a 185-70R-14 tire should work as it is just about the same overall diameter ( within 2/10 of an inch diameter ). The tires available in that size are car radial tires with plenty of different brands and models. Has anyone tried this approach.

Larry the bass guy
in the Adirondacks

Larry, trailer tires and car tires are completely different. No matter what brnd you choose, always buy trailer tires for your trailer.
Ken Ball/08 17' Casita/regular axle/Nissan Frontier with auto tran tv

#7 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (Ken Ball @ Jul 15 2009, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Larry, trailer tires and car tires are completely different. No matter what brnd you choose, always buy trailer tires for your trailer.

Larry, with due respect to Ken's opinion - there are a few people with a different opinion. Some would not buy ST tires on a bet. rolleyes.gif

Don

Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#8 Muttley

Muttley

Muttley

• Casita Club Member
  • 939 posts
  • Local time: 05:54 AM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:42 PM

A major part of the tire problem is that the coach manufacturers use marginal specification tires. It is often impossible to buy heavier load range tires in the size that the trailer came with. Many trailers come with tires which are load range C when load range D would be a better choice if it was available.

A few years ago we had 3 blow-outs in 2 days on a 6 month old stick-built trailer. It gets old really fast.

I would never put passenger car tires on a trailer, they won't handle the load.
2002 SD 17 'Tinker Toy'
2010 Nissan Xterra

#9 vargalu

vargalu
  • Casita Club Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE (Ken Ball @ Jul 15 2009, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Larry the bass guy @ Feb 18 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Larry the bass guy
in the Adirondacks

Ken,
Just for my education, why not use car tires on the trailer? Thanks

#10 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
  • Local time: 06:54 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD Inneggsisle
  • Interests:kids and grand kids
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows
  • Casita Club Directory #:1193

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:14 PM

ohmy.gif When someone says to JUST use ST tires in a trailer do a back ground check on him biggrin.gif ST or trailer tires are something that didn't exist till after the steel belted tire came out and it came on the market as a cheapo (and they are) when folks like our parents didn't have a lot of beer money. Until that time every one used truck tires or heavy duty tires as some called them. Our fore fathers who camped used them. When steel belted tires became popular they were very much the same price in the 60's as they are now and folks made 10X less $ in most cases. they were known to have weak side walls so folks used truck tires. Then some brain came out with steel belted trailer tires which were basically cheaper rubber and stronger side walls because over the years trailers of all sorts have become very popular. Uhaul still does not use steel belted tires but the bias ply and they are designed for Uhaul and made by Goodyear. one moose of a tire but no longivity. Why Goodyear doesn't sell them to the public is beyond my comprehension. The patent date for Uhaul has surely runout. Now I have to justify my opinion on why we should use LT tires or Light Truck. Trailer tires have supposedly stronger side walls than LT tires (are they really???) and to be used on Tandem axles where they have to go through a lot of twisting and turning and fighting each other for position. We have single axle trailers which is no different than a light truck, when you make a turn the back wheels just pivot and follow, no fighting just follow so they work out just fine. our trailers come more under the weight specs for these small truck tires. If you really notice, the marathon and other brands in the same class are usually under tandem axle trailers whether they be hauling lawn equip, bass boats, car haulers, or contracting trailers. Yeah there are some tent trailers and small utility trailers that have single axles under them but if they are loading them up like many of us do the Casita's then they are having problems to.

My background check laugh.gif I ran a gas station for a private owner from 1955-1958. In that time we sold 1 set of steel belted radials, out of hundreds of regular tires. I personally didn't own a set till 1968-69. many folks used to come in to buy 2nd hand tires for their trailers and in most cases they were auto tires wink.gif

Oh yeah, forgot to mention tubeless tires were not around then and when they did come out?? if you had a flat that we couldn't plug, we put a tube in it biggrin.gif

Edited by Bill & Karen, 25 September 2009 - 12:19 PM.

Bill & Karen Sarasota, Fl. Love being Inneggsile

#11 Kris

Kris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:46 AM

I have a 2007 17 SD with Goodyear Marathon ST20575R14. with a little under 10,000 miles. On my last trip I notice a bounce around 50 to 65 MPH. Before each trip we check the air pressure cold and make sure they are at 50 pounds. When I got home a jacked-up the Casita and checked the tires and they were not round by about 1/2 inch and moved 1/4 side to side. Checked the wheel and it was good. At this point I do not feel safe with the tires and looking for recommendation on what to do.

New Marathons
Go to Maxxis and going to 15" or staying with 14"

Ralph

#12 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (Kris @ Oct 16 2009, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
New Marathons

Ralph

If you have a high lift axle, go with the 15" Load D Maxxis. Final answer.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#13 James M Emmons

James M Emmons
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:05 AM

I own a 2001 Spirit DeLuxe and experienced a blowout of a Carlyle in Saratoga Springs, New York running on the interstate. The incident occurred on a Sunday prior to the Monday Columbus Day holiday. Changed to the spare and drove into Saratoga and went to two name brand tire stores who did not have 14" ST tires in stock. As a last resort went to Wal Mart and found them. Put on two new Marathons and put the spare back in reserve. Have had no problems yet, but all the posts about the Marathons failing are making me nervous.

Jim Emmons
2001 Spirit DeLuxe
2001 Chev Tahoe
"Eggstacy"

#14 atrometer

atrometer
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, RVing

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:12 AM

<!--quoteo(post=117930:date=Oct 16 2009, 07:46 AM:name=Kris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kris @ Oct 16 2009, 07:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=117930"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->New Marathons

Ralph<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Eileen

Our 2010 has 15" d rated Marathons which are run at 60#s (per Casita) and 62 mph or under (per goodyear). They now have 10,000 + miles. I'm conviced if you use these or any other tire properly they're OK. (If storing, raise tires OFF the ground and rotate weekly; cover them to protect from sun; replace every 2.5 years; run at stated pressure and speed. I would bet 99% of the tires that have problems did not follow these requirements! Goodyear Marathons outsell every other tire brand by thousands, are available most places, and are reasonably priced. I follow all these requirements except storage, so I'll replace them after 2 years! I believe pressure, speed, and age are the most critical issues.
August and Susan Trometer and "Maude Barker" (Shihtzu)
2009 Jeep Liberty, 2010 17'Casita LD, WDH
22' Nonsuch sailboat #25
North Fort Myers, FL

#15 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:55 PM

<!--quoteo(post=117930:date=Oct 16 2009, 07:46 AM:name=Kris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kris @ Oct 16 2009, 07:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=117930"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->New Marathons

Ralph<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Eileen

Our 2010 has 15" d rated Marathons which are run at 60#s (per Casita) and 62 mph or under (per goodyear). They now have 10,000 + miles. I'm conviced if you use these or any other tire properly they're OK. (If storing, raise tires OFF the ground and rotate weekly; cover them to protect from sun; replace every 2.5 years; run at stated pressure and speed. I would bet 99% of the tires that have problems did not follow these requirements! Goodyear Marathons outsell every other tire brand by thousands, are available most places, and are reasonably priced. I follow all these requirements except storage, so I'll replace them after 2 years! I believe pressure, speed, and age are the most critical issues.

If they are off the ground and covered from sunlight, why rotate them?