#1 Dave and Ruth

Dave and Ruth
  • Casita Club Member
  • 446 posts
  • Local time: 09:32 AM
  • Interests: 
  • Casita Club Directory #:2369

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:08 PM

Our subdivision allows homeowners to keep RVs on their property, but has extensive rules for “screening” RVs. Carports are not even considered adequate. The rules are intended to lessen the impact of an RV on the neighbor’s view, but are subject to the interpretation of a compliance officer and a committee.

We had planned to cover the Casita anyway, to protect it from UV damage. One of the homeowner association’s requirements is that covers be “earth-toned”. This eliminates less expensive commercially-available covers. We also want to be able to have access to the Casita for on-going projects and for use as a guest room, without needing to remove the cover. So we decided to make our own.

A few years ago, for our pop-up trailer, we found Kartex fabric, an 8 oz. natural cotton treated fabric with a flannelled backing manufactured for car covers. It is water resistant, but breathable, and comes in an earth-toned khaki color. It has held up well. First I constructed a “hat” for the trailer, which consists of a “crown” and and a “brim”. The crown runs the center roof length, covers the A/C and the Maxx Air Fantastic Fan Cover, and has an opening for our roof-mounted solar panel, so it can continue to gather rays. I made inserts from window screen cloth on the sides where the air intakes are located, so the fan and A/C can be used while the cover is in place. The brim was then attached to the crown, and extends a few inches down the sides.

For the sides, I sewed 72 inch long panels. The panels are attached to the brim and to the adjoining panels with continuous strips of hook and loop fastener. I constructed gores in the front and rear ends to accommodate the propane tanks and the spare tire. I also placed fabric screen window inserts in the panels, so there is daylight and fresh air flow. We later discovered we needed a screen at the upper refrigerator vent to dissipate heat. By making the cover in attachable sections, we are able to handle the total mass of fabric with relative ease.

Total cost about $280. Plus about a gazillion (12) hours of my spare time. No, I’m not going into business to make these- I have a job.

We will probably still have to plant a tree.

Ruth

• funstuff likes this
Dave & Ruth
Santa Fe, New Mexico

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
2007 LD "El Gecko" * 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
High Tech Twin Bed Mod * Rooftop Solar install with VHB tape
Sliding sink cover for the Liberty * Custom Casita Cover

#2 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,595 posts
  • Local time: 08:32 AM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:20 PM

Ruth.....
One of my jobs in the past was Being a former "CanvasMan" fabricating boat covers and let me say you have a good talent there..... Smart move going with the breathable fabric...i've seen many blue tarp jobs with all kind of moisture problems inside if not ventilated....
biggrin.gif You did a Great Job. biggrin.gif
Joe

Edited by wrkn2mch, 18 July 2007 - 03:23 PM.

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#3 meanders

meanders
  • Casita Club Member
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:travel<br />biochemistry
  • Casita Club Directory #:2338

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:39 PM

Ruth
That is a beautiful cover!!!
I would love one!

Can you share your sources of materials and dimensions?
Thanks
meanders smile.gif
meanders
Denton, Tx
Honda Ridgeline RT
2006 SD 17
Prodigy
Casita Club # 2338

#4 Dave and Ruth

Dave and Ruth
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 446 posts
  • Interests: 

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:57 PM

meanders,

My material sources and costs were:

Kartex Fabric, 30 yards @ $6.62/yd, from Miamicorp.com $198.60 + S&H
(I actually used 28 yds, but wanted a margin of error.)
5/8 inch hook and loop fastener, 50 yd rolls, from hookandloop.com $18.00 + S&H
Gutermann thread, 2 large spools from Joann (40% off coupon) $5.58
Screen fabric from Ace Hardware:
crown- 1- 24 inch roll ~$5.00
windows 1- 84 inch roll ~$12.00

Measurements of the trailer were specific to a 17 ft with awning. A/C, and Maxx Air fan cover. If someone really wants that kind of detail, PM me. I needed to make a lot of adjustments along the way.

Thanks,
Ruth
Dave & Ruth
Santa Fe, New Mexico

#5 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,595 posts
  • Local time: 08:32 AM

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:21 PM

ruth and meanders.....
another good source for many of these items is in the following link....while acrylic fabric is more expensive i like it too but your raw edges have to be hot knifed to keep it from unraveling.....and i tend to go with a polyester thread with uv resistance in the 69 or 92 size and I use a consew walking foot machine.
this site is just another source to add to your current sources in case you can't find something you will find it here.
Joe

http://www.rochfords...A_ProdID_E_3168

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#6 Dave and Ruth

Dave and Ruth
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 446 posts
  • Interests: 

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:54 AM

Joe,

I actually did look at Rochford Supply for fabric...another favorite of mine is Seattle Fabrics (seattlefabrics.com). Having 100% Dutch lineage, I am excessively frugal (it IS in the genes), and shop extensively for the best price. We bought the Kartex from Seattle Fabrics for our pop-up, but when I found another source and saved ~2 bucks a yard, I was a happy camper.

Sunbrella is another great cover fabric, but it is expensive. The acrylic fabric you linked to would be a good alternative to Sunbrella.

My sewing machine is a Singer portable- I'm just a sewing hobbyist, well taught by my mother. Most seams were flat felled- otherwise, I used the zigzag to bind the edges. I was so pleased with how the Kartex handled. The project totally took over the guest room for 2 weeks.

Ruth
Dave & Ruth
Santa Fe, New Mexico

#7 BTrue

BTrue
  • Casita Club Member
  • 66 posts
  • Local time: 07:32 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe
  • Casita Club Directory #:2513

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:23 AM

This is stunning, I'd like to try it. I love providing for the venting and being able to use it. Another Casita owner told me his cover lasted a couple of years in our Wisconsin weather. How long would you expect yours to last? Do you think by using sunbrella you could get more life out of it?
I'd like to get the details.
Betsy
Betsy True & Danny Aerts
Toyota4Runner/17LD
Posted Image

#8 Dave and Ruth

Dave and Ruth
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 446 posts
  • Interests: 

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:50 PM

Betsy,

We've had the Kartex fabric covering our fiberglass-lidded pop-up for 3 years in the hot New Mexico sun, and it looks healthy. Had some wear holes on sharp edges that were easy to patch.

The soft lining on the Kartex fabric was really attractive to us.

Ruth
Dave & Ruth
Santa Fe, New Mexico