Photo

30 Amps vs 20 Amp Electrical Hookup Difference?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wanderlust99

Wanderlust99
  • Casita Club Member
  • 36 posts
  • Local time: 01:19 PM

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:16 AM

Need ASAP answer for this newbie in panic attack. I have a 2007 17SD and going to the huge Fiberglass Rally (over 150 units and 250+ people) next Wednesday 7/19 in Bullard Beach St. Park, near Bandon, Oregon . Only used Casita once with nice 30 amp hookup.

I just re-read my reservation notice and my site has 20 AMPS and not 30 as other sites have them. Is 20 AMP ok to power my Egg with microwave, fridge, and Television?? I read somewhere that 20 AMPs is not enough?? Too late to change as entire campground is sold out!!!
Please reply and say 20 Amps ok!! I have the adapter.

Jim H., San Francisco Bay area
Wanderlust99
Hayward, CA
2007 17SD
2004 Toyota 4Runner, V8

#2 The Colonel

The Colonel
  • Casita Club Member
  • 122 posts
  • Local time: 03:19 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:2086

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:23 AM

Hi Jim,

RELAX, everything will be OK.

Remember that if you use a Honda 200I it is only 20 amp service.
You may have to turn your AC to “fan only” while you use the microwave.
Might be a good time to run your refrigerator and hot water heater on propane
for the weekend just to see if they are working OK.

Now, ENJOY.

Marc
TV- 05 Toyota 4-Runner
Casita Name - 5-Runner
1999 SD
"Always Enchanted"

#3 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,238 posts
  • Local time: 04:19 PM

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:43 AM

If you install an AC voltmeter, or get one of the plug-in voltmeters you just plug into any outlet as you would an appliance (most RV shops carry them for about $15 or so), it's easy to figure if you are overloading the 20 amp hook-up.

If, when the max draw is initiated (A/C compresser starting, non-factory microwave cooking), your line voltage doesn't drop below 108v or so (and the breaker in the outside power box doesn't trip) you are fine.

As was pointed out, you can always just increase the A/C temp (or select fan) while cooking if that turns out to be the "straw that broke the camel's back," as the saying goes.

Having a voltmeter is handy, even when using your generator.

BTW, I find that once the water heater is hot, you can turn the burner down to pilot only (if you have a pilot light like my older 2002 17SD) and it will keep the water plenty hot. Just turn it back "on" if you are taking a shower for fast recovery during the shower, and until the main burner cuts off afterward.

Bob

#4 Ray & Donna

Ray & Donna
  • Casita Club Member
  • 294 posts
  • Local time: 02:19 PM
  • Interests:Traveling, camping, hiking, backpacking, photography, road cycling, golf and skiing.
  • Casita Club Directory #:2103

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (Wanderlust99 @ Jul 15 2007, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Need ASAP answer for this newbie in panic attack. I have a 2007 17SD and going to the huge Fiberglass Rally (over 150 units and 250+ people) next Wednesday 7/19 in Bullard Beach St. Park, near Bandon, Oregon . Only used Casita once with nice 30 amp hookup.

I just re-read my reservation notice and my site has 20 AMPS and not 30 as other sites have them. Is 20 AMP ok to power my Egg with microwave, fridge, and Television?? I read somewhere that 20 AMPs is not enough?? Too late to change as entire campground is sold out!!!
Please reply and say 20 Amps ok!! I have the adapter.

Jim H., San Francisco Bay area

Just be sure you have a 30 amp (female) to 20 amp (male) plug adaptor or pigtail so you will be able to plug in the Casita's umbilical.

Ray & Donna
Poway, CA (San Diego County)
'07 17' Spirit Deluxe
TV 2014 GMC Sierra Double Cab 4x4
2178015780010355611JUiNmH_th.jpg2910660630010355611nHUxji_th.jpg2603207630010355611VxyYCp_th.jpg

#5 dnbsvc

dnbsvc
  • Casita Club Member
  • 775 posts
  • Local time: 04:19 PM
  • Interests:Camping, travel, reading, computers, my dog Annie, photography
  • Casita Club Directory #:1798

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:11 PM

Hi Jim. Just thought I would pass along what Dometic told me about the microwave. I was sitting in a campground in Jasper Arkansas and I noticed that the microwave would start up and then cut back on power. You could hear it. It still worked fine and heated without any problems. I was concerned that this might do harm to the microwave. I called the factory and Dometic. Dometic assured me that this is fine and would not do any damage. It is made to do this. They did say that what will damage it is power spikes or surges.

I just thought I would share this information in case it happens to you.
Dee and Annie (4 lb Yorkie)