• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 928 posts
  • Local time: 03:40 AM

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:23 AM

I picked up my Casita in July of last year. While parked this week one of the tires deflated. It was the valve stem that failed. It was cracked. So is the other one. I'm going to replace it. The spare tire valve stem is not cracked.

So check those valve stems. If they are cracked change them. If they fail while driving they could cause a tire blowout. Tire blowouts can be caused by low tire pressure - the sidewall flexes too much; overheats and fails.
2006 17' Spirit owner since July 18, 2006
Tow Vehicle - 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 3.9L, Automatic Sports Plus Package, 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 gear ratio, Trailer Tow Group pkg(transmission & oil cooler, class IV hitch, wiring), Heavy Duty package (automatic Overdrive, battery upgrade, front & rear anti sway bars) Package

#2 Ray & Donna

Ray & Donna
  • Casita Club Member
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Traveling, camping, hiking, backpacking, photography, road cycling, golf and skiing.
  • Casita Club Directory #:2103

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:51 AM

Replaced the valve stems on our 2007 SD with metal ones. Better for higher pressure 50 PSI and above.
Use them with the Light Truck tires on the TV as recommeded by my tire dealer. They run @ 45 PSI.

Ray & Donna
Poway, CA (San Diego County)
'07 17' Spirit Deluxe
TV 2014 GMC Sierra Double Cab 4x4
2178015780010355611JUiNmH_th.jpg2910660630010355611nHUxji_th.jpg2603207630010355611VxyYCp_th.jpg

#3 Steve G.

Steve G.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:44 PM

Just got back from our 4th of July trip to Bisbee, they have such wonderful display of fireworks we've been going back there for 10 years.
Any way stopped in Wilcox to fuel up on the way back and decided to check the tire pressure on the Casita. Drivers side was 3 lbs lower than the other side and then I noticed the cracks on the valve stems! An hour later we were on our way with new valve stems, thanks to Big "O" in Wilcox.
I 10 East from Phoenix is littered with the remains of blown tires every inch of the way and I'd been keeping an eye on the Casita tires the whole trip, I'm glad I did.

Steve
Second time around
2006 SD 17 "Not for Sale"

#4 CAA

CAA
  • Casita Club Member
  • 83 posts
  • Local time: 05:40 AM
  • Interests:Grandkids, Genealogy, Photography

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:23 AM

Posted Jul 5 2007, 11:23 AM
I picked up my Casita in July of last year. While parked this week one of the tires deflated. It was the valve stem that failed. It was cracked. So is the other one. I'm going to replace it. The spare tire valve stem is not cracked.

So check those valve stems. If they are cracked change them. If they fail while driving they could cause a tire blowout. Tire blowouts can be caused by low tire pressure - the sidewall flexes too much; overheats and fails.

Bringing subject to the front to remind everyone of this possible failure. We've only had our 2006 Casita on the road 8 days since we purchased it new in May 2006 and as we were preparing to de-winterize this week we found one tire really low and valve stems on both tires broke. The person who replaced the valve stems said they came completely apart when he tried to remove them. He'd never seen one do that before - let alone both of them! He didn't have the metal valve stems on hand but put shorter valve stems in. Our Casita had been parked outside, uncovered until October of 2007. We've built a shop big enough to keep it inside now - don't know if keeping it outside, uncovered made a difference or not.

Just wanted to remind everyone to keep an eye on the valve stems as they make summer traveling plans.

Cindy & Allen
Cheyenne, Oklahoma