• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 crabeyes

crabeyes
  • Casita Club Member
  • 214 posts
  • Local time: 03:12 PM

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:44 AM

I have read all the posts about tire failures with symphathy along with a little smugness. I have never had a tire failure and I never will, right! Meaning, I do all the good care things while in storage and had planned to replace my Marathons after this traveling season which is going into my fourth Casita year, plus about 22,000 total miles.

My story:
Last week, we were on our way north to Sedona (BTW, hi to the other two Casitas that live there) via I-17. Just north of Phoenix I began to feel a very, very sight thump-thump. I attributed it to the road surfaced (the denial began here) thinking that if it was the Casita, any thump-thump could not be transmitted through the hitch (wrong again).

Miles later, then if happened while desending the Camp Verde grade,"Honey, I think the Casita has a flat! "

I glanced in the rearview mirror and was reassured when I saw that the front Casita logo seemed level.

I said, "I think you are wrong dear."

"Then, why are those big chunks of rubber flying out into the desert."

"Whoa!"

Thank you Good Sam for sending Art the tire changing guy, and thank you Big-O for getting in a GreenBall Tow Master in the next day.

There is no moral to the story other than it can happen to anybody at anytime.

Edited by crabeyes, 16 June 2007 - 05:48 AM.

Larry (crabeyes) & Gwyn
"Eggy Sue" - 2005 16SD w/vented catalytic heater
2007 Honda Pilot, Dark Cherry EXL-4WD
Tucson, AZ

#2 meanders

meanders
  • Casita Club Member
  • 645 posts
  • Local time: 04:12 PM
  • Interests:travel<br />biochemistry
  • Casita Club Directory #:2338

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:53 AM

Glad you are fine!
meanders
meanders
Denton, Tx
Honda Ridgeline RT
2006 SD 17
Prodigy
Casita Club # 2338

#3 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,464 posts
  • Local time: 05:12 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:08 AM

Interesting information about Greenball TOWMASTER HERE

Harold

#4 texasegg

texasegg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:retirement,camping,grandchildren
  • Casita Club Directory #:2507

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:11 AM

I see your TV is a Honda Pilot, how is it working for you? We are picking up our Casita in Sept and our TV is a 07 Pilot. I am getting a little nervous about the HW of the 17-SD. Can you share some light??
Thanks '
RDolgener
Texasegg biggrin.gif

#5 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:34 AM

Glad you're OK and the trailer, too.

I just put a set of D-range Towmasters on my 17SD, but haven't put any miles on them yet. Looking forward to it.

I don't think we should apologize for tire threads. After all, tires are the only contact (we hope!) we have with the road. Folks who are bored with the topic can easily skip over such posts.
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#6 Mike and Margaret

Mike and Margaret
  • Casita Club Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:16 AM

Glad you and the Casita are fine. We had both our original tires "go bad", with bulges and tread separation (one was close to flat after we backed into a campsite) on our last two trips. Our trailer is less than 2 years old and we doubt we have more than 8,000 miles on the tires. sad.gif We check our tires every time we stop (for gas, lunch, whatever) and think that's what prevented us from having a blowout. For all those who still have original tires: watch them carefully!

Margaret

Edited by Mike and Margaret, 16 June 2007 - 08:18 AM.

#7 Grany

Grany
  • Casita Club Member
  • 34 posts
  • Local time: 05:12 PM
  • Interests:Kayaking, fishing and camping with the Hubby and Shelia, our Service Animal Cat.
  • Casita Club Directory #:2394

Posted 16 June 2007 - 09:47 AM

So glad you are OK.

#8 DeeGlen

DeeGlen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:40 AM

This was a timely topic, first to pop up when I logged on. Last evening, just before dusk, we were traveling south on Interstate 5, almost to Sacramento, when the right tire on our two year old 17' SD started smoking. It was in shreds by the time we pullled over. Why does Casita put such cheap tires on their product? It is dangerous. It took my husband an hour with increasing darkness to change it with the giant trucks blowing past us. Very scary! Has anyone gotten new rims and used regular car tires?

We were on our way home to Placerville from two weeks on PIT projects with the Forest Service. We look for pioneer trails with our metal detector. We spent a week in McCloud and then a week in Yreka. I have a self image problem about the Casita. As I sit in it and look out at the RV parks I feel like I am just like everyone else. I have a hot shower in my own bathroom after a day of walking and digging in the woods. I can cook in my microwave, watch TV, use the computer, turn on the air conditioner but it was cold and we used the furnace the first week. I have all the amenities the other folks have. Glen and I don't feel cramped. We can pass each other as we move from one end to the other. I can sit at the table and use the computer while he reads or watches TV. It is very comfortable. Then I walk outside and look back at the Casita and it looks like a toy next to all the other RVs. We wonder why they need so much space and want to haul all that all around. Oh well, we're happy.

Dee
Dee and Glen #1631
04 Dodge Dakota & 05 17' SD
Placerville, CA

#9 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (DeeGlen @ Jun 16 2007, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This was a timely topic, first to pop up when I logged on. Last evening, just before dusk, we were traveling south on Interstate 5, almost to Sacramento, when the right tire on our two year old 17' SD started smoking. It was in shreds by the time we pullled over. Why does Casita put such cheap tires on their product? It is dangerous. It took my husband an hour with increasing darkness to change it with the giant trucks blowing past us. Very scary! Has anyone gotten new rims and used regular car tires?

Dee

Glad you got the Goodyear off before it hurt anything, and glad the tire change was safely done.

So far, no tire failures I'm aware of have caused accidents (though some damaged Casita), but perhaps the MOST dangerous aspect is changing a tire on a busy highway.

Actually, Goodyear tires can cost MUCH more than the heavy duty Kumhos that most of us are switching to so if Goodyears are "cheap" it is in construction, and not price.

As far as switching to different wheels and "regular" car tires, if you can find suitably rated 14" tires, you can retain your present wheels. There is no need to change them. They are not special for trailers at all. If you DO get new wheels, be sure that you get wheels with zero or almost zero offset. This means that the mounting surface of the wheels is located at the centerline of the wheel, so the load of the trailer is directly above the center of the wheel and tire. This minimizes stresses on the bearings and the axle.

As far as "regular" tires, again, the Kumhos we've switched to are NOT trailer tires. They are heavy duty (Load Range D) bus and truck tires that are ALSO rated to use for trailers. In the US Kumho sells them for trailer use, but around the rest of the World, they are used on delivery trucks and busses, and are available in a wide range of sizes. www.tirerack.com only carries a very few of the sizes the Model 857 tire is manufactured in.

Just be sure whatever you put on Casita is at least rated for as much as the Marathons (1850 pounds per tire), and the more margin above that, the better. Again, for comparison, the Kumhos (about $75 apiece) are rated to 2240 pounds per tire if memory serves.

Bob
Wheel specifications:
5 bolts on a 4.5" bolt circle, Zero Offset (regardless of wheel diameter)
Stock size is 14"X6", but 15"X6" will also fit.
Discount Tire Stores, Inc. sells similar white spoke wheels for about $35 in 14" and 15" size.

Edited by Bobinyelm, 16 June 2007 - 11:08 AM.

#10 crabeyes

crabeyes
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for all of your concerns. I was glad to learn, that with the tread seperation and a immediate flat, the Casita remained stable until I could find a place to pull over. I do have a few new dents in my wheel wheel and I need to find a way to remove the many rubber marks.

FYI, I replied privately to Texasegg with details regarding my pulling a 16 footer with the Pilot. It was all good. I hope the information I gave him was a help with his hope to pull a 17 footer.
Larry (crabeyes) & Gwyn
"Eggy Sue" - 2005 16SD w/vented catalytic heater
2007 Honda Pilot, Dark Cherry EXL-4WD
Tucson, AZ

#11 P&B TRAVELER

P&B TRAVELER
  • Casita Club Member
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Hiking in Mountains, Race walking, fishing, The Outdoors,<br />Traveling, and staying in our National Parks.

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:29 AM

Hi Ya
Well the list just continues to grow, those of us who have experienced Marathon tire problems. With or without the specific tire info. as to serial #, date of construction and what ever else one of the club members wants listed to help Goodyear resolve this ongoing problem. It's not that I disagree with documenting the info., it just doesn't make them anymore safe. They need to be replaced. Casita's continued denial of problems with these tires doesn't make them any safer either. Tires continue to come apart or blow out. I hope more of our fellow Casitans listen and make the switch before they are the next victim of this over stressed tire. C range doesn't seem to be able to handle the work load, D gives you the safety margin and peace of mind. I still haven't heard of a failure of a D range tire on our trailers. Phil
Phil & Brenda
South East, Mi.
02 17' LD
04 Ford E-350 5.4L V/8

#12 Donald Stahl

Donald Stahl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 519 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:40 PM

Texas Egg,
Is your use of HW refer to heavy weight? We don't tow with a Pilot, but for what it's worth, we do pull our 17ft Casita with a 2004 Honda Odyssey, same engine size. Good tow vehicle, no problems at all. Have adequately crossed over some pretty high mountain passes in Colorado, around 11,000 ft. You have an excellent vehicle for pulling your new yet to be yours trailer ! Don

#13 jhwilson

jhwilson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 289 posts
  • Local time: 06:12 PM

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE (Bobinyelm @ Jun 16 2007, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wheel specifications:
Discount Tire Stores, Inc. sells similar white spoke wheels for about $35 in 14" and 15" size.

What size Kumho tires do folks use on the 15" wheels? I have the high rise axle and would like to use the largest tire that will work. Thanks in advance.
Pat and Harper
Mitchell County, NC
2004 17' LD, 2003 Toyota Tundra

#14 SteveH

SteveH
  • Casita Club Member
  • 439 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17' SD
  • Interests:Camping, Hunting, Fishing, Radio Control Aircraft, Kayaking, Photography, Travel

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (jhwilson @ Jun 17 2007, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wheel specifications:

What size Kumho tires do folks use on the 15" wheels? I have the high rise axle and would like to use the largest tire that will work. Thanks in advance.

When I checked into the Kumho tires, nothing but 14" were available in the US. I have 15" wheels on my 16', so I put some 215/75 15" light truck tires on it, and time will tell if it was a good decision.
Regards,
Steve

#15 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE (jhwilson @ Jun 17 2007, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wheel specifications:

15" "857"s are not available in this country as far as I know.

Before you buy 15" wheels thinking you will gain appreciable ground clearance, research what the outside diameter of the tire/wheel combination you intend to fit actually is. Then remember you only gain 1/2 of that difference in ground clearance.

Remember, too, that the Kumho 857 205R14 is already 1/2" or so bigger than the Marathon tire so you gain some clearance just by using them.

I looked around, and found that I could only get about 1/2" more ground clearance using the largest 15" tire that would barely fit across Casita's wheel well (not all Casita axles are mounted dead center in their wheel wells, either, so front-to-back clearance is more critical than the space above the tire).

Less than 1/2" more ground clearance (the thickness of my index finger) didn't seem (to me at least) worth the expense of new wheels, especially when I wanted the security of "D" Rated Kumhos.

Bob

Edited by Bobinyelm, 17 June 2007 - 12:28 PM.