• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 davidandrachelf

davidandrachelf
  • Casita Club Member
  • 236 posts
  • Local time: 09:59 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:46 PM

I write my passwords on paper and use my own encryption methods on the paper. Frequently used passwords are memorized. Non critical ones use repeated passwords. I find that keyboard patterns are easier to remember than words and numbers for passwords. David dry.gif
1999 Casita SD
1999 Ford F-250 Diesel

#17 casita noob

casita noob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 13 posts
  • Local time: 10:59 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:25 PM

ditto i use keepass and it's excellent. and free!

http://keepass.info/

#18 Patt

Patt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 412 posts
  • Local time: 12:59 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe, 2006
  • Interests:Birding, weaving, spinning, reading, camping, Maps, crocheting, church librarian, travel, genealogy, hats, photography,computering, DAR, grandchildren.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1832

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:45 AM

A couple of years ago I started writing my passwords in a small address book that I keep beside the computer. When I go anywhere that I might be on the PC, I just tuck it into my bag. Even if the computer fails, I've got all the passwords safe. It works well for me--just look under C for Casita Club, if I forget it.
Patt
2006 17' Liberty Deluxe, aka "Iliad" (towed by an Odyssey)

#19 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 962 posts
  • Local time: 11:59 PM
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:56 AM

That's what I do, Pat..................especially since my computer crashed and I lost all my ID and password information. (Lesson learned) I now have two separate HD's on my computer..........and an external backup HD. But I still won't store sensitive information like ID's and passwords on my computer any more. It's just too risky.
Chris
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe pulled with a White 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS.

I'm a HOST, so if you're coming through Norman, OK, give me a call!

Visit My Website

#20 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
  • Local time: 12:59 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD Inneggsisle
  • Interests:kids and grand kids
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows
  • Casita Club Directory #:1193

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:00 AM

tongue.gif I use the same password for all of the site such as these where privacy is not that important, the sites such as ebay, paypal and financial sites are of course different. now if I could only remember the user names biggrin.gif if it were feasible I would like to change and use the same user name to all these sites but for some reason I'm hung up on the longivity factor sad.gif

Bill & Karen Sarasota, Fl. Love being Inneggsile

#21 Dave and Ruth

Dave and Ruth
  • Casita Club Member
  • 446 posts
  • Interests: 
  • Casita Club Directory #:2369

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:02 PM

For the Mac, we use Info Xhead for all vital information management.

Just for work, I have about 20 different passwords which must be changed every 3 months or so. The software password protects all the data, and I store web site logins, bank and credit card account numbers , and other vital statistics there. Easily accessible on my personal laptop, which I tend to carry with me to work and when we travel.

Ruth
Dave & Ruth
Santa Fe, New Mexico

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
2007 LD "El Gecko" * 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
High Tech Twin Bed Mod * Rooftop Solar install with VHB tape
Sliding sink cover for the Liberty * Custom Casita Cover

#22 Chris and Helen

Chris and Helen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:23 AM

Just a suggestion from someone with poor or no short term memory and many accounts that involve privacy and financial issues. I made a password protected MS Word document file that sits on the deck top listing my accounts user names and passwords. I have over 30 accounts protected by 3 different passwords. So, if accessing an infrequently used account I pop open my master list and get the user name and password. Takes 30 seconds. My computer log on is password protected as well. This gives me three levels of protection...computer log in, list log in, and account log in. After a while you start remembering your most frequently used accounts. I'm reading that it's becoming a dangerous cyber world out there. I'm approaching 70 and called grand-pappa-forgot-it...but I know my passwords!

#23 cdsmith

cdsmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,458 posts
  • Local time: 11:59 PM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:35 AM

I wouldn't consider using any Microsoft Office application (Word, Excal, Access) as a 'safe' storage. Just Google "MS Word Password" and you will see what I mean.

Better to use a third party password safe. I us 'Account Log0n' to keep passwords for over a hundred different websites. It also allows portability of the password file so I can use the same file on several different PCs.

Joyce and Charlie Smith, Princess Lily, Rose, and Violet - Grand Prairie, TX
RV: 1999 SD "The Little Egg"
TV: 2007 Escalade 2WD 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
Brake Control: Dexter Predator DX-2

#24 RunningR

RunningR
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:21 PM

I posted a classified ad last week, and now want to delete it, but cannot figure out how to remove the ad. Can you give me some input?

#25 garyinpreskitt

garyinpreskitt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' SD
  • Interests:LOTS!!; basically outdoorsy types, enjoy challenging hikes, XC skiing on challenging but not terrifying terrain, float tube fly fishing, smokin' & grillin', hoop house gardening, tinkering with solar energy and other tech stuff. Dutch oven cooking, including artisan bread.

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

Old thread, but this might help somebody.

First I tried to memorize them. Then I started acquiring too many accounts. Then I developed a password criteria that allowed me to develop and remember any password created, even LONG ones. Then I started getting locked out because my long passwords were at the mercy of my keyboard errors. Then there were the recent data breaches with Target, Yahoo and other email services. Then I noticed the 40+ accounts (and growing) each had their own criteria for passwords, characters allowed, etc., especially financial institutions. Then I started looking at password managers more seriously.

I settled on Keepass2 (version 2.XX).

• It's cross platform (for me Windows, Linux & Android; uses a single encrypted database for all devices). Keepass 1.XX is Windows only.

• It's user interface is intuitive.  So far have not had to consult any of the help screens.

• Uses AES and Twofish encryption. THAT is secure!

• It's backward compatible with Keepass (reads the databases created with Keepass versions 1.XX).

• Can be stored and run from a thumb drive or SD card (download and install appropriate pkg to your portable storage device). You can keep a copy on your camera's storage card!

• It is NOT cloud based. Password database resides ONLY where you want it.

• Has its own password generator OR you can create your own passwords for individual accounts.

• You can even copy and paste the password rules from your institution in the Notes section so you know what the limitations are.

• I even have created the NEXT password in case the institution gets hacked and I have to quickly change it.  That is stored in the Notes section, too.

• Database is stored ENCRYPTED on your device. NOTE: If you use a spreadsheet, good idea to use TrueCrypt or something similar, otherwise whoever gets your computer has access to your passwords. A Windows login password WILL NOT protect you.

• With a single strongly encrypted master password to remember, you have access to as many highly complex and encrypted passwords you can create.

• You can require a password plus a specific file (e.g., a .jpg file) to unlock the data base. Only you know what it takes to open it.

• There is NO BACK DOOR. You must remember your Master Password. If you lose it, neither your password or database can be recovered. (that's really not as scary as it sounds)

• The database will accept the URL for the account you are using. Doubleclick on it and it will take you to your login page or better yet, the the page just before your login page. DO NOT USE BOOKMARKS STORED IN YOUR BROWSER !!!! DON'T ALLOW YOUR BROWSER TO REMEMBER CREDENTIALS !!

• you can copy and paste, drag & drop your credentials or allow the database to autofill. Note: some institutions are set up not to work with any of these methods. That can be good. It prevents software initiated brute force attacks on your account. But you can still store your credentials.

• You have several ways to sync your databases across devices—auto sync (choose your own program for this), copy and paste the changed file to replace the old file (you will be asked to verify). With AES and Twofish encryption, you can SAFELY email your changes and save the file across computers in place of the old one. (Even with that, I email only as a last resort. I usually use an air gap to sync (thumb drive moved manually to each device)

• IT'S FREE !!!!!!!!

Lastpass has some interesting features like credential audits that scan your database to point out weaknesses.

Edited by garyinpreskitt, 17 March 2014 - 04:13 PM.