#1 pdstringer42

pdstringer42
  • Rally Organizer
  • 397 posts
  • Local time: 07:50 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 Liberty Deluxe 17'
  • Casita Club Directory #:1329

Posted 05 February 2004 - 08:34 PM

I suppose it's a little late to be asking such...

What do you do to "winterize" your Honda EU2000I.

(Not late... Just early for next year).
Paul Stringer, "Host"
Crockett, Texas
Tow = "Eggstream-II" -- 2003 17' LD;
Tug = 2006 Tundra V6
Member# 1329

#2 Don in OKC

Don in OKC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,533 posts
  • Local time: 08:50 AM

Posted 05 February 2004 - 10:16 PM

1. Important. Remove the side panel, find the little screw that drains the carburetor float bowl, open it to drain the carburetor. If ya let gas set in the carb, it'll evaporate and the residue will plug up the main jet. If you have trouble keeping the engine running after being unused for a time, this (clogged main jet) is where to look.

2. Syphon the gas from the tank (it has no drain). Turning it on it's side is not recommended. Wal-mart has an el-cheapo bulb type syphon hose. Boat shops have better ones.

=========

I Leave the oil alone. Put fresh oil in it when you're ready to fire it up.

The manual says to remove the spark plug, pull the starter rope a few times to pump gas out of the fuel pump. then add a tablespoon of oil to the cylinder..........I never did this to any of my motorcycle engines, but I suppose it's good practice?!
Don in OKC - (Useta have a) 2000 16' LD, 98 Chrysler T&C

#3 RON

RON
  • Casita Club Member
  • 201 posts
  • Local time: 06:50 AM

Posted 06 February 2004 - 04:23 AM

Don: I just use a stabilizer in all my equipment (put it in my gas cans when I fill them) and I have never had a problem starting or running anything. My dealer told me this was much better than draining the tank and running the carb dry. Ron :)
Ron & Elsie, & Pollyanna Cat
2003 Casita 17' FD
2005 Chev 2500 HD Ext Cab Duramax/Allison

#4 Brian

Brian
  • Casita Club Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 08:37 AM

Most engine manuals that I have seen say to change the oil before storage. When an engine runs some raw gas & combustion by-products get past the rings and contaminate the oil. As they build up they form acids & the like that can attack the insides of the engine. Running engines for short periods is particularly bad as the oil doesn't warm up enough to evaporate the water vapor (from condensation in the engine) & raw gas. Changing the oil will remove the acids & contaminants, hopefully helping protect the innards of the engine. I also agree with Ron about using stabilizer in the fuel. I have been using Sta-Bil in my fuel for my small engines & have had very good luck with it.

#5 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
  • Local time: 09:50 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD Inneggsisle
  • Interests:kids and grand kids
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows
  • Casita Club Directory #:1193

Posted 06 February 2004 - 09:54 AM

:huh: These engines are made to run every now and then and it would be beneficial if possible to start them and let them run for an hour or so. I used to drain mine but gave it up after I found out that the gaskets in the carb tend to dry out and become brittle. Put a reminder on your calender to go and start them up once a month and let em run. In the spring change the motors oil and you'll be all set. I'm of the belief that idleness kills all this stuff faster than moderate use. I have elect in my camper 24/7/365 and leave the fridge on and also the fantastic fan. I usuallycheck these a couple of times a week. I know thats not possible for some folks, you just gotta do what works :)

Bill & Karen Sarasota, Fl. Love being Inneggsile

#6 pdstringer42

pdstringer42
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 397 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 Liberty Deluxe 17'
  • Casita Club Directory #:1329

Posted 06 February 2004 - 08:25 PM

Bill and Karen...

I like your style! Seems to me that your solution makes the most sense. But I do appreciate all the others who answered my question.

Paul S
Paul Stringer, "Host"
Crockett, Texas
Tow = "Eggstream-II" -- 2003 17' LD;
Tug = 2006 Tundra V6
Member# 1329