• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry & Christine

Jerry & Christine
  • Casita Club Member
  • 50 posts
  • Local time: 10:02 AM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:30 PM

As Christine and I attempt to finalize a decision on a Casita trailer, we are attracted to the Spirit model's additional storage as well as the Freedom's swivel chairs. We will use the trailer as a base from which to day hike and we know how well a chair with a back feels after a day on the trail. We've have talked to some local Casita owners and they complain about the lack of a back rest on the Spirit and they use their Casita the same way we plan to use ours.

It seems relatively easy to modify the Spirit to accomodate the Freedom's swivel chairs and have the best of both worlds, so to speak. (Casita could do this and probably delete a model from their line at a cost savings.)I know it's been done by others. Does anybody know who makes the chairs that Casita uses? Are they available from the manufacturer without the pedestal? Any idea of the cost? I haven't asked Casita about ordering them for us but I believe that's a possibility also.

Any info or insight that you all could provide would appreciated.

#2 Dodgeman

Dodgeman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 227 posts
  • Local time: 09:02 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD
  • Interests:Fishing and golf

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:08 PM

Here is my "swivel seat" in my SD. It is a boat seat that I purchased from K-Mart and I recovered it myself.

Attached Thumbnails

• Seat.JPG

Roy Bakehorn
2005 17' SD "The Backroads Bunkhouse"
2004 Dodge Dakota 4.7 V8
Prodigy Brake Controller
Indiana

#3 Don n Ina

Don n Ina
  • Casita Club Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:45 PM

Hi

I know what you mean about the seats in the SD being something less than comfortable. A cushion resting against a verticle wall or partition lacks any lumbar support and ends up being about like sitting on bleachers. I tend to lean on the table for support and a little comfort. Sometime I use something shoved behind my lower back for support.

However, some time ago I saw someone's solution to the problem that I plan to duplicate on my SD. This person made a wedge shaped framework from light weight plywood that fit behind the cushion. It pushed the cushion out at the bottom so that it supports the lumbar area and leans the cushion back at the top at an angle more like a normal cushioned chair. Someone else achieved the same effect by placing a covered triangle bolster behind the cushion.

I have no idea what search terms one would use to attempt to locate them but I know I saw photos of the modifications on this site. If anyone knows where to find the photos, I would love to view them again.
This might be a simpler (and cheaper) mod that will achieve the same goal.

Don in UT

#4 jvwands

jvwands
  • Casita Club Member
  • 143 posts
  • Local time: 08:02 AM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:24 PM

We have a 17' Spirit. We considered trying to change to swivel chairs but we have a outside shower, which we use frequently, and it is under the seat. We would also loose the under the seat storage space. Also there are the electrical wiring going thru this area.. Talking to a Casita owner who had the swivel chairs, he said one disadvantage was the chairs took out walking space. He said if he bought a new Casita he would get the bench seats. Just for your info. You will enjoy your Casita..

John and Betty
Mesa, Az
John and Betty
'ROADRUNNER"
Mesa, Az
Member 1763

#5 Mrs. Charlie C

Mrs. Charlie C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 263 posts
  • Local time: 11:02 AM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1459

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:43 PM

biggrin.gif Don in UT, we have the el-cheapo board setup in our trailer and it works well, sorry don't have any photos of it, but they consist of a piece of 1/4 masonite or other plywood etc. which is cut about 1 to 2 inches smaller than the back cushion on length and width, the lower edge of the plywood is held out at the base by a piece of 2x4 (about 22" long) which has about a 15 to 30 degree angle cut on 1 edge and the back board is nailed to the angled side.

Hope the description helps. We use these supports with the cushion back against the outside wall or against the bathroom wall and the divider, works well in either configuration and really helps support the lumbar area quite a bit.

Here is a photo of a special cushion that someone made, don't know who to give the credit to, but it looks good.

dinette_cushions.jpg
Sandy, Charlie, Rocky --#1459-- Richmond Hill, Ontario
Millenium Edition "Eggloo" 17SD -- 2003 Dodge Caravan

#6 Jerry & Christine

Jerry & Christine
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (jvwands @ Jan 12 2007, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have a 17' Spirit. We considered trying to change to swivel chairs but we have a outside shower, which we use frequently, and it is under the seat. We would also loose the under the seat storage space. Also there are the electrical wiring going thru this area.. Talking to a Casita owner who had the swivel chairs, he said one disadvantage was the chairs took out walking space. He said if he bought a new Casita he would get the bench seats. Just for your info. You will enjoy your Casita..

Thanks for your input. I would not remove the storage area. I will mount the swivel chairs on top of the storage area to replace the cushions that are presently there. I have a preliminary design and I found some marine seats by Garelick that look like the ones Casita puts in the Freedom. I will also try to find out if I could get Casita to order the seats for me without the pedestal as that would probably be the easiest way to get them.

John and Betty
Mesa, Az

#7 mjones12

mjones12
  • Casita Club Member
  • 772 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:39 AM

QUOTE (jvwands @ Jan 12 2007, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have no personal knowledge of this, but someone also said that the table between the two swivel chairs is considerably smaller than the table on the SD, if that's important to you. They said two standard dinner plates had to be offset slightly to fit across the table. Don't know if that's correct or not. Just passing it along. Thanks.

John and Betty
Mesa, Az

#8 LindyW2

LindyW2
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,033 posts
  • Interests:Casita use and problems? I'm new at camping<br>Yard Work ATVing(Bombardier traxsterMax Xt 2 seater)<br>Yard saleing, Flea Markets Watch Fob Collecting ,US coin collecting, using computer <br>Target shooting Pistols and Rifles Shooting Range in back yard<br>I'm a retired Teamster (CF road Driver)
  • Casita Club Directory #:1387

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:44 AM

Jerry and Christine

Why not just get the FD add shelfs in the Closet and a shelf under the Chairs and cut back the wall between the chair and bed to open area up ? Add the chair mod on back chair of FD to move it 6" closer to the wall .

The only draw back is if you want the SD for the 3rd person sleeping area the FD is out

Casita_Closet_Shelfs_003__Small_.jpg Cloud_9_July_2006_047__Small_.jpg Cloud_9_July_2006_049__Small_.jpg Cloud_9_Ranch_Sept_2005_Labor_day__Bob__Becky__s_House_061__Small_.jpg

_cid_005901c61b57_748f2240_020aa8c0_D3ZN8C21__Small_.jpg
Lindy & Sharon CC #1387
Casita Freedom Deluxe + Mods (A Hillbilly's Heaven)
2006 GMC Envoy Denali (Big Bessy) 5.3L V8 3.42 Rear axle
Prodigy brake controller
My Pictures http://community.web...m/user/lindyw43

#9 One Click

One Click
  • Casita Club Member
  • 483 posts
  • Local time: 08:02 AM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:35 AM

The SD chairs aren't good because the back is at a 90 degree angle to the seat and the edge of the table doesn't extend much past the front of the seat. I found by putting a spacer in behind the bottom of the cushion and by extending the table top towards the seats the seats became much more comfortable.

I also like the larger table top which I couldn't have with the swivel chairs. My larger table top was made by cutting a length off the rear table (which I never use) and gluing it to the table that is provided. It's a few inches wider and I extended it a few inches into the aisle. biggrin.gif
16SD,05/01, 4.7Durango
New York, Lower Hudson valley area.
camper,kayaker,inventor,atheist &vacationer!

#10 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,443 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (One Click @ Jan 13 2007, 05:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The SD chairs aren't good because the back is at a 90 degree angle to the seat and the edge of the table doesn't extend much past the front of the seat. I found by putting a spacer in behind the bottom of the cushion and by extending the table top towards the seats the seats became much more comfortable.

I also like the larger table top which I couldn't have with the swivel chairs. My larger table top was made by cutting a length off the rear table (which I never use) and gluing it to the table that is provided. It's a few inches wider and I extended it a few inches into the aisle. biggrin.gif

If there is someone else wanting to make a larger dinette table (or anything else) to match the "Casita wood" and need the material, I have some I would be happy to get rid of.

PM or email me and we can work out the details.

Harold

#11 RX

RX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,366 posts
  • Local time: 12:02 PM
  • Interests:Sunshades now in a Blue-Grey color
  • Casita Club Directory #:1021

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:24 PM

Charles: I think the cushions came from Phil. We remember him having them made some years back..

We use to have a SD and hated the bench seats. They were uncomfortable for us, very hard, long seat and for a short person Susan's feet would not hit the floor. Very uncomfortable to watch TV in the seat next to the divider. finally sold the SD and ordered a Freedom for the comfort of the swivel chairs. Never missed the extra storage under the seat. Have learned to manage the smaller table and now don't miss that extra space. Putting in closet shelves gained us a lot of space. Have had a few times that the side bed would of been nice but the chairs have outweighed taking another person.
RX

Attached Thumbnails

• back_shades__TX_trip_017.jpg

Terry (RX) & Susan
Eastern North Carolina
Casita 2005 Freedom/Spirit Deluxe
Tundra, 5.7 2008

Custom Casita Sunshades, tie downs
Sunsahde items for awnings now made in Sea Blue

#12 Palmer M

Palmer M
  • Casita Club Member
  • 378 posts
  • Local time: 12:02 PM
  • Interests:living light / alternative energy<br />cars and mechanical<br />railways &amp; model trains<br />architecture &amp; real estate

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:01 PM

I ordered the SD because of the option of two different beds, and with a "do-over" would probably go with a Freedom.

Even when I sleep in the single bed, I hardly ever sit down at the rear table. And when the rear is a bed, I almost never sit on the side...this leaves me standing a lot! Thank goodness the tables are high enough to work on when standing.

I don't think you'll miss the storage; I wouldn't, even as a full-timer. Besides, only one of the "boxes" is storage; the aft one is the back of the converter and electric cord storage.

I've been in a 17', but can't remember...is the floor level throughout? I'm not short nor tall (5'8"), and the floor level under the tables in a 16' is comfortable, but that is never where you want to put your feet. If you put your legs in the aisle where you want to, your feet don't hit the floor, which exacerbates the discomfort of the vertical cushions.

After two years onboard, I would go with my original inclination and order a 16' Freedom, especially if it was just me or me and one other person. I've only used both beds at once, once, and would have used the more comfortable chairs about a thousand times more than I have the benches in the Spirit.

P
Palmer McCall
North Carolina
05 Casita 16 SD "micronaut"
96 Dodge Dakota 4x4 V6
full-timing since 09/04

#13 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,112 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:25 AM

My most comfortable position on the side dinette seats is to have a cushion behind me, against the wall. I prop my feet up against the sink, rear seat, or against the corner of the frig, front seat, my preferable position to read the morning paper or a novel at night. But then, I do not have a wife telling me to keep my feet off the furniture wink.gif

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !

#14 jwedeking

jwedeking
  • Casita Club Member
  • 24 posts
  • Local time: 11:02 AM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE (Dodgeman @ Jan 12 2007, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is my "swivel seat" in my SD. It is a boat seat that I purchased from K-Mart and I recovered it myself.

Roy,

Lynda and I would like the email list of the folks that met at Caesar's Creek in October. I've been looking for your messages on the forum. We're planning on going to Florida first part of April. Still don't know how to maneuver this forum very well, but maybe this will get through to you. We sure did enjoy our gettogether and all the nice folks. Looking forward to doing it again next time.jwedeking@ameritech.net

jwedeking@ameritech.net.

#15 mjones12

mjones12
  • Casita Club Member
  • 772 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:14 PM

Lindy: How did you secure those shelves in closet? Looks like one end is hooked over the rod. Did you use rivet to secure the areas I can't see? Thanks.