#16 cathy

cathy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 102 posts
  • Local time: 12:40 PM
  • Interests:Camping
  • Casita Club Directory #:2272

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:43 AM

I find it interesting that my salesman Harald acted like he had no idea what a Scamp was or even looked like...I had heard the stories as well about the Eveland brothers splitting up, 1 going to TX ...the other in MN..so checked on the Texas Secretary of State web site and found out it's not an Eveland (Scamp owner) who owns Casita. I've heard that story all along and the "brothers" aren't in competition like previous posts stated.

CC #2272

#17 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:00 AM

dry.gif This is a quote from the Scamp web page:"Scamp is a family owned business from central Minnesota which has been making compact travel trailers since 1971."

A quote from a Boler post (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.php?showtopic=21173&hl=casita%20history&st=0):
1968 - 1st Boler produced in Winnipeg, MB by Ray Olecko
1971 - American rights sold to Elenor International of Wichita, KS
1972 - Boler American produced (1972- ??) (3 plants)
1974 - "Boler Manufacturing" was building "Honey Bolers" in Winnipeg, Manitoba (see Benny's post)
???? - I have heard that Bolers were built in Grand Prairie, Alberta.
1978 - Bolers were built in Calgary, Alberta; Peter Epel of FiberglassRV owned one (a 1978 17', model 1700), and his web site shows the trailer in detail, complete with the sticker showing the manufacturer's name as "Neonex Shelter Ltd., Boler Division"
1979 - Vanguard Trailers built my Boler (a B1700) in Winfield, British Columbia in 1979. The badge on the trailer says "Boler by Neonex", indicating that Neonex owned the Boler brand at the time.
1980-1990 - Perris Pacer produced in San Jacito, CA
1981 - 1st Casita produced in Backus, MN

Also from http://www.fiberglas...h...tory&st=30:
Boler and Descendants
1968 - 1st Boler produced in Winnipeg, MB by Ray Olecko
1971 - American rights sold to Elenor International of Wichita, KS
1972 - Boler American produced (1972- ??) (3 plants)
1972 - 1972 - Boler American produced in Wichita KS (see topic in Bolerama)
Scamp is derived from Boler:
???? - Boler components are being manufactured in Backus MN, by Eveland?
1971 to current (2006)- Scamp is being produced in Backus
1979 - Scamp branded as Acorn for one year
1981 - 1st Casita produced in Backus, MN
1983 to Current (2006) - Casita Enterprises Inc. operates
current (2006) - Casita currently in production by Casita Enterprises Inc. in Rice, TX
1971 to 1973 - Bolers (original 13' model only) are in production by Glass-Fab Industries Ltd. in Peace River, Alberta. See the 1973 brochure, and a discussion in Bolerama.
1972 to 1975 - "Boler Manufacturing" was building Honey trailers in Winnipeg, Manitoba, under the Neonex name (see Benny's post and clarification, plus discussion in Bolerama)
1975 - Winnipeg plant builds Boler-branded (not Honey) trailers as Neonex Industries.
1972 to 1979 - Earlton Manufacturing was building Bolers (13' only) in Earlton, Ontario. See 1975 brochure, other posts in this thread, and discussion in Bolerama
1977 - 17' Boler model built (B1700) - example: Raymond Brodeur, factory location unknown
1978 - Bolers were built in Calgary, Alberta by "Neonex Shelter Ltd., Boler Division"; a 1978 17', model 1700, was owned by Peter Epel and CharlynnT's 17' is also from Calgary, "Built with Pride by Neonex"
1979 - Vanguard Trailers built my Boler (a B1700) in Winfield, British Columbia in 1979. The badge on the trailer says "Boler by Neonex", indicating that Neonex owned the Boler brand at the time.
1980 - Boler 1650 built by Earlton, in addition to 1300 and renamed 17' (now 1750)
1974 - Perris Valley Campers is producing the Perris Pacer, perhaps in Perris, CA (see Mike-B's post #22 in this thread and Roger's post)
1980-1990 - Perris Pacer produced in San Jacito, CA

I am not sure what is real or just reports of reports? I have always liked history and the who and why and by whom. The DesertHawk

PS I just remembered: the Scamp salesman saying something about the employee who started building Casitas saying that the employee had started next door to the Scamp plant before he went off to Texas, therefore, the report about the first Casita being built in Backus could be correct. If this 60 yr old brain is firing correctly today anim_rofl2.gif !
Perhaps what he told me is true, I can not see why he would have lied about it. But one never can tell in this world today. Ain't history fun! blink.gif

Edited by DesertHawk, 23 December 2006 - 09:25 AM.

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#18 langier

langier
  • Casita Club Member
  • 85 posts
  • Local time: 10:40 AM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1245

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:13 AM

I have a pix on my web site of a 1981 13' Casita made in Minnesota on my website.

The couple had purchased it second hand in Minnesota. I think it had sat in a field for several years, if I remember correctly. They'd had done some clean-up and painting to it, including the checkers and logo, when we met them a couple of years ago on the road in Utah. I do remember it was made in Minnesota and not Texas.

Here's the pix:

http://angier-fox.co...age/page25.html
Larry Angier & Carolyn Fox
No. 1245, Third-hand FD 17 with the newer Third-hand 4Runner (old one stolen!) Crossing the High Sierra at the break-neck speed now 35 mph!
http://www.angier-fox.com

#19 Daryl&Mary

Daryl&Mary
  • Casita Club Member
  • 72 posts
  • Local time: 10:40 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe (Sold)

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:48 AM

Hi,

We asked Jean about the Casita-Scamp connection when we picked up ours in May 2005. According to her, a couple of Scamp employees moved down the road and started making Casitas. As I recall, they wanted to make some design changes (such as the fiberglass bottom.) Jean said the Texas connection was due to one of the first Casita purchasers -- a banker in the Ennis or Corsicana area who offered to provide financing if they moved to Texas.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it... tongue.gif

Happy Holidays to all!
Daryl & Mary
Mesa, AZ
Daryl & Mary
Ex-2005 17'SD - The "Cozita"
Now- Born Free 22' "Built for Two" MH
Mesa, AZ

#20 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:11 AM

huh.gif the Ennis or Corsicana area is very near Rice and Kernes, Rice is 15 miles north of Corsicana and 13 miles south of Ennis, and Kerens is about 15 miles east of Corsicana. Is is all adding up.
blink.gif the DesertHawk

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#21 Bob

Bob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 574 posts
  • Local time: 11:40 AM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1317

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:31 AM

Randy (and others),

Interesting thread! The owner of Casita Enterprises is John Lang. I have no idea if he is related to any of the Scamp people. Maybe the "brothers" story is a myth. I don't think ownership has changed since 1983. The company has a reputation for good customer service. They have always helped me, despite not being an original Casita owner or buyer. Our trailer is pushing 10 years old and has held up well. I agree that the 17 goes back to 1996 (stated above). I think Casita Enterprises is an exemplary company. Chamber of Commerce says they have 35 employees. Previous threads indicated output of perhaps 3 trailers per working day, which works out to something above 500 annually.

I haven't seen an official history of the company. Trailer Life did an article on Casita about 2001, which you might be able to find online. smile.gif
Bob and Peggy
Bigfoot 17CB, had Casita 17SD
'05 Jeep GC Limited 4.7L V8
Sierra Nevada (hills)