#1 Louise

Louise
  • Casita Club Member
  • 58 posts
  • Local time: 05:32 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:13' Patriot (1998)
  • Trailer Name:Lolita Casita

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:42 AM

After having made a trip all across the country and back, the only thing which bothered us about our little 13' Casita are the mini blinds. I am about to take them out and replace with homemade curtains. I have found at www.sailrite.com all the hardware we would need. Before I buy that, I was thinking about just using velcro to put them up instead of screwing in the vinyl-type curtain rods with the snap-on tape, etc. My question is: do any of you have experience using velcro on the carpeted walls? Would the self-sticking type actually stay on?
Thanks for any help.
Louise
Louise & Rich
Petaluma, CA
13' Vegan Vagon "Uneggmobile"
2006 Toyota Highlander

#2 CarolU

CarolU
  • Rally Organizer
  • 867 posts
  • Local time: 04:32 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1014

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:03 AM

I never hung curtains in the trailer .. but just putting a valance up using velcro on the top of the blinds - didn't work. I found the valances down after we would tow for awhile. They are now permanently up with screws. I have tried using velcro on the carpet for other things - that didn't work for us either.
Carol and Jim #1014
2002 17' Liberty Deluxe "Snuggy Buggy"
2010 Honda Odyssey with Res/Nav
Canyon Country, CA

#3 Larry & Debbie Gamble

Larry & Debbie Gamble
  • After-Market Product Supplier
  • 669 posts
  • Local time: 07:32 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:96 17SD

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:19 AM

Louise,
We have no experience with the velcro system, but as you probably are aware older Casitas came with curtains instead of the mini-blinds. I've heard that the lady that made them retired so Casita switched at that point. I went to the web site you found and it would appear that the snap on system Sailrite sells is very similar to what Casita originally used. We are very pleased with the original Casita curtains as they are quiet and Debbie loves to iron! tongue.gif The slide rail is attached with extra rivets that go through the top of the window frame. There are perhaps some pictures of the curtains in our Webshots site showing the factory curtains. All these parts are also available at many RV parts stores. Show us some pictures when you're finished!

Larry
Larry & Debbie Gamble
Original owners 96 17 SD
The Honeymoon Cottage

www.LittleHouseCustoms.com

#4 janlil

janlil
  • Casita Club Member
  • 50 posts
  • Local time: 06:32 PM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:51 AM

I also tried Velcro and ended up doing a "mod" to my velcro. The self sticking kind did not stick for me (I used it on Roman Shades and the pressure used to pull them up and down was too much). I finally ended up making little loops that I used to hold the Roman Shades in place and the Velcro keeps them from sliding back and forth.

Getting rid of the mini-blinds was our first mod. They drove me nuts banging around all the time!!
Janet, Mike and the Biff Dog (RIP)
2005 Casita SD
1997 4Runner

#5 Joe and Diana

Joe and Diana
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts
  • Local time: 04:32 PM

Posted 15 December 2006 - 05:16 PM

You might check West Marine.com, their snap track system seems to be the same as on our 96.

#6 Louise

Louise
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE (Larry & Debbie Gamble @ Dec 15 2006, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Louise,
We have no experience with the velcro system, but as you probably are aware older Casitas came with curtains instead of the mini-blinds. I've heard that the lady that made them retired so Casita switched at that point. I went to the web site you found and it would appear that the snap on system Sailrite sells is very similar to what Casita originally used. We are very pleased with the original Casita curtains as they are quiet and Debbie loves to iron! tongue.gif The slide rail is attached with extra rivets that go through the top of the window frame. There are perhaps some pictures of the curtains in our Webshots site showing the factory curtains. All these parts are also available at many RV parts stores. Show us some pictures when you're finished!

Larry

Larry, I took a look at your photos -- what a nice job you've done. Wish we were so handy, but we're not and sort of make do with our limited skills and that of a friend of ours who helped us make a major change of putting in a front dinette in our 13'footer. Anyway, I think I'll go with the slide rail and snap-on tape, etc. What I don't understand is where exactly you put your rivets when you say "through the top of the window frame" - I take it you mean above the black molding? Does it matter how high you go with the rivets because we think we'd like to block as much light as possible and might go a few inches over the top of the black molding. Any help is appreciated.
Louise
Louise & Rich
Petaluma, CA
2006 Toyota Highlander

#7 Larry & Debbie Gamble

Larry & Debbie Gamble
  • 669 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:43 PM

Louise,
It would appear as though I mislead you about our curtains. First, they are original equipment and so I did not attach them myself. Second, since Debbie is in charge of "curtain maintenance" I had not studied in detail the attachment method. After your post, I went out to look and "educate" myself. I have posted at Webshots some closeups I just took and the system is really simple. (Look in album Casita nuevo III) No rivets. The "F" shaped track is very similar to the one Sailrite sells. The bottom leg of the "F" simply wedges in between the wall carpet and the window frame and gravity and friction hold it in place. I pulled it out in a couple of places before taking the pictures so it would be more obvious. In one picture you'll note that you are looking at the top of the track. This is because the original track is very flexible and it tipped towards me as I pulled it out. For this reason it would be difficult to install it higher than the window frame because it obviously uses the window frame as a stiffner. But two points on this issue. One, is note how the snaps are installed several inches below the top of the curtain. This system block plenty of light. Second, I noticed that Sailrite sells the same track in aluminum as wells as vinyl. The aluminum would probably be stiff enough to mount (with rivets) above the window frame. Or another idea if you have cabinets above all windows, these tracks are actually designed to work in a horizontal position so they could be attached to the bottom of the cabinets. But they do work really well as Casita built them. My only suggestion would be since the walls slope in, the curtains hang away from the wall at the bottom. I would make the rods and curtains about 3 inches wider (on each side) than the window for additional (looking in at an angle) privacy. Our are only about 2 inches wider. Or a really energetic seamstress could add a rod at the bottom too! tongue.gif Hope all this helps.

Larry

PS: Thanks for the compliment on our redo! Debbie was a big part of the project. Even when she lacked the "perspiration" she contributed the "inspiration".

Edited by Larry & Debbie Gamble, 16 December 2006 - 12:59 PM.

Larry & Debbie Gamble
Original owners 96 17 SD
The Honeymoon Cottage

#8 Louise

Louise
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 03:49 PM

Larry,
Your photos were really very helpful. Thanks so much. I feel more comfortable about making up my curtains now. Your curtains look very nicely made. But do you find that some light comes through the area where the curtains meet. I think I would add an extra flap or just make it one piece. Also we might add a track down below if we feel there's too much movement or too much light seeping in. Again many thanks for taking the photos.
Louise
Louise & Rich
Petaluma, CA
2006 Toyota Highlander

#9 Larry & Debbie Gamble

Larry & Debbie Gamble
  • 669 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:16 PM

Louise,

Larry asked me to answer since curtains are my department. Yes, light does come in between the two curtains on occasion, but I like it because I can pull it back during the day and have a wide open view of the outside. If you have one curtain, the end snaps are not slideable so you would not be able to slide the curtains open from one side to the other. You would have to omit a stationary end snap so your curtain may slide off while traveling.

Hope that is helpful information.

Thanks,
Debbie
Larry & Debbie Gamble
Original owners 96 17 SD
The Honeymoon Cottage

#10 bluebeard

bluebeard
  • Casita Club Member
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:FISHING CAMPING ENJOYING MY PET MACAWS

Posted 20 December 2006 - 04:26 AM

Dscn0057.jpg Dscn0011.jpg

Wife made curtains for our 95 SD we got. When she washed the curtains that were in it the fell apart in the washer.. She used the plactic tracks & took the snap strips off old curtains & sewed on the new ones . She doubled the material over so from inside or out you see the beautiful pattern & it blocks out light very well. Little vecro stick on circles can be attached down the inner edge to hold closed. But as you see they block light well, the pic is taken with full sun on back of camper... She also painted the spare cover to match the curtains.. Macaw thing going on.... bluebeard & crew
Dscn0073.jpg
KENN & PAT CONLEY
SQUWAKER & SASSY
'95 16' SD w/ CAGE
TV -'04 GMC / XUV
" TAKE HOME THE BOOTY "

#11 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,694 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Casita SD 17'

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:08 AM

My 94'Casita SD has the original snap/slide setup and it looks like the installation of this curtain hanging system is achieved by slipping the back section of the curtain rack behind the window frame then re-tightening the screws.
Joe

P1010009.JPG

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#12 Chris Z

Chris Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 788 posts
  • Local time: 08:32 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' SD

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:02 PM

Larry
I have been studying the method from sailrite.com unsure.gif The system at west marine looks like you need to drill thru the fiberglass.
Wonder if you might endulge me to verify something for me before I order. I think I would attempt to add tracks at the top and bottom. Think these tracks would stay if they were in top and bottom? Perhaps I could even rivet these tracks to the frame. Do you think this would work? Seems that curtains hanging would open up the bottom. We like to sleep in total darkness - even a streetlight is a problem. We would line the fabric with material that blocks all light. closedeyes.gif Here goes:
One window 48" wide or less
Two (bottom and top) vinyl tracks 48" long 100913 (cut track maybe 3" wider at each end) Would metal be better?
4 yds (72" at top and 72" at bottom) of sew-on tab tape 100878
36 (to match tab tape) snap-on carriers 102211
4 end stops (two top , two bottom) 100879 or 310081 not sure which. Does the 310081 allow you to attach curtain to it?

I see also they have a mounting clip for track 102573 but not sure what to do with that but maybe order one just to see. Maybe work with rivets to the frame?

http://www.sailrite....34Pa38Ta38Obxn0

Edited by Chris Z, 09 October 2007 - 12:09 PM.

#2077 Louisville, Ky
2006 Black Chevy Suburban
2005 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

#13 Larry & Debbie Gamble

Larry & Debbie Gamble
  • 669 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:23 PM

Chris,
Sorry for the delay, I just spotted your post. After reading your parts list I think you may be trying to mix two different mounting systems. I've not bought from Sailrite, but hopefully they have informed staff to confirm my suspicions. So here's what I think. The 100878 sew on tape (I think) attaches directly to the track with no other parts required. However this looks like it would work only if the track were mounted horizontally as though the "F" were laying down on it's face. This is not of course your plan. I think the snap on tape #100911 is what you would stitch to the curtains and then snap the curtains to the 102211 snap on carrier inserted in to the track and captured with an end stop #310081 at each end of each track. I think you have also picked the wrong track. Look at track #100758 in vinyl or #52105 in aluminum. These tracks are "F" shaped and would work to more closely replicate the original Casita curtain system. The vertical leg of the "F" tucks behind the window frame and on our Casita is held securly in place by friction and gravity. This leaves the "F" profile standing normally on the top and would be an upside down "F" if placed on the bottom also. As Joe pointed out the frame screws could be loosened and retightened to clamp in place. To attach the same track to the bottom of the window, a rivet or two could be inserted through the window frame if gravity worked against you. However ours (top only as ours is Casita original equipment) is really snug. The mounting clip you mentioned is for mounting track with no flange and is not applicable to your project. I will point out that Sailrite confuses the issue by describing the 100758 track as one to be mounted to a horizontal rather than a vertical surface. I think if I were to do curtains with the track extending 3 inches past the window I would use the aluminum track as this 3 inches would be totally unsuported. The vinyl track that Casita used is fairly flexible and would droop if extended that far. I of course have no experience with the Sailrite vinyl track. It may be stiff enough.

The parts list I've described would provide a system very similar if not identical to the original equipment Casita used for many years prior to switching to mini-blinds.

On a lighter note, I can't believe I've found myself giving guidance on drapes. My mother would have been proud. anim_rofl2.gif After we kids left home, my mother (a full time home maker) worked at a drapery fabric store for quite a few years and made curtains for my first camper for me many years ago. Hopefully she knew I did pay attention when she talked.

Hope this helps,

Larry
  • kolleel likes this
Larry & Debbie Gamble
Original owners 96 17 SD
The Honeymoon Cottage

#14 Chris Z

Chris Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 788 posts
  • Local time: 08:32 PM