13 replies to this topic

#1 daneco

daneco
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 05:56 AM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 05:17 AM

Hello all,
We heard about casitas two weeks ago, bought one last week......very happy so far. We are in florida planning on travelling through the southern states to California, up the coast to BC, and then across the canadian prairie to our home in eastern Ontario by the middle of April.. We would appreciate any tips or advice regarding the casita, the route, or any other help the more experienced members could offer.
Thanks,

david & neila coe

#2 Ben Idle

Ben Idle
  • Casita Club Member
  • 692 posts
  • Local time: 08:56 AM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE (daneco @ Dec 12 2006, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello all,
We heard about casitas two weeks ago, bought one last week......very happy so far. We are in florida planning on travelling through the southern states to California, up the coast to BC, and then across the canadian prairie to our home in eastern Ontario by the middle of April.. We would appreciate any tips or advice regarding the casita, the route, or any other help the more experienced members could offer.
Thanks,

david & neila coe

David & Neila,
Welcome!

All systems look good!....EXCEPT the timing.

Ben

2006 17' LD Casita
Owned and operated since Nov. 2005

#3 pseabolt

pseabolt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,724 posts
  • Local time: 07:56 AM
  • Interests:Fishing, Hiking, Boating, Amateur Radio, Computers

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:36 AM

In my opinion you best choice for the trip you are describing. You are trading space for easy of hook and ease of towing.

Do a lot of planning and plan what you want to see.
Travel interstate between Points of interest. Travel 12 hours per day with a lot of rest stops. If it is more that a 12 hour trip between points of interest. Find a Flying J or walt-mart about 9:30 pm and leave you tow vehicle attach (Make your hitch level the Casita when on level ground).

No solids or toilet paper in the holding tanks. You can dump at most places without attaching the black hose.

Carry your drink and cooking water in containers and use the campgrounds or flying J showers. Get a sun shower bag for the national park areas. Remove the shower head in the casita, slide the sun shower bag over the handle and replace the shower head.

Travel light. We carry a Laptop computer with routing software and a USB GPS. The Laptop is tops on my list of things to take. I believe James Kim would be alive today if he had a GPS and routing software on his trip.

Of all the mods I have done, the wireless thermometer in the fridge and the stover cover are the most useful.

http://homepage.mac....olt/camper.html

The above url is casita mods I have made.
Pete & Dee
N4KHQ & N4KHO
2004 Casita SD 17'
Home Page
Posted Image

#4 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts
  • Local time: 06:56 AM

Posted 12 December 2006 - 08:29 AM

biggrin.gif We made part of your planned trip in '97 in a C-class motorhome pulling a Geo Metro from Las Cruces, NM to California then up the coast following Hwy one and 101 off and on. We did take a detour at San Fran to I-5 up to Shaska Lake area and then to Crater Lake then back to the west coast (we had been down the coast from BC once before). We would just drive and stop once we saw something interesting. We use AAA campground guide to look for spots to stay. Monterey, CA is a great city, The Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey, California offers visitors nearly 200 award-winning galleries and exhibits. Explore the Monterey Bay Aquarium web ... www.mbayaq.org/ Just North of Monterey at Moss Landing is a great seafood place: Phil's Fish Market & Eatery - 0.2 miles SW - 7600 Sandholdt Rd it is over by the docks. In the LA area:With two locations, the Getty Villa in Malibu and the Getty Center in Los Angeles, the J. Paul Getty Museum serves a wide variety of audiences through its expanded range of exhibitions and programming in the visual arts. The Getty Center is huge and is like the Stanford Shopping Mall: separate buildings with covered walkways in between. The Getty Villa is smaller with the study of the arts and cultures of ancient Greece, Rome, and Etruria. Both are free and parking is only $5. Point Mugu State Park, located in the Santa Monica Mountains, features five miles of ocean shoreline, with rocky bluffs, sandy beaches, sand dunes, rugged hills and uplands, two major river canyons and wide grassy valleys dotted with sycamores, oaks and a few native walnuts. The beach is 15 miles south of Oxnard on Highway One with Wi-Fi Service
9000 W. Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu, CA 90265 We spent time there this summer at Sycamore Canyon.
Twelve miles south of Santa Barbara, Carpinteria State Beach offers a mile of beach for swimming, surf fishing, tidepool exploring and camping; we spent a week there this summer, driving to Santa Barbara several times to explore it. Up by San Francisco is Half Moon Bay State Beach Campground; now on the reservation system. Campsite reservations must be made through Reserve America by calling 1-800-444-PARK (7275) or through their website at www.reserveamerica.com. Four miles of broad, sandy beaches stretch out to welcome visitors to Half Moon Bay. This picturesque setting is ideal for sunbathing, fishing and picnicking. A campground provides accommodations but was hard to get in 3 years ago when we tried, but spent time there in '97. We used the Bart (metro system) to go into SF. Ask a ranger where nearest place to get it. San Simeon State Park is located 35 miles north of San Luis Obispo on Highway 1, and 5 miles south of the Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument Visitor Center. The community of Cambria is located 2 miles to the South and offers gas stations and grocery stores. San Simeon, CA The San Simeon Creek Campgrounds offers 115 campsites for tent camping or recreational vehicles. Hearst Castle is worth the effort to see.
This is getting too long, sorry, and I can't remember any other exact places now anyway.
blink.gif The DesertHawk

Edited by DesertHawk, 12 December 2006 - 08:37 AM.

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#5 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:02 AM

rolleyes.gif Back again! Vancover, BC and Vancover Island are nice to chech out as well as is Jasper and Banff in Alberta, a neat hot spring out side of Jasper and a neat glacier between Jasper and Banff. Buy a Canadina Parks Pass, worth the money and good for a year, but you guys must know that. Moose Jaw in Saskatchewan is a nice place to chech out.

Oh, yes, if you like art the Simon Norton Museum of Art, Pasadena California is small but has some great art work, European (several van Gogh's and other Impressionist plus scupltures and many India works). A nice one to visit, if into museums.

LongBeach has a lot of stuff to see, Queen Mary, AQUARIUM OF THE PACIFIC is nice but Monterey's is best.

Page Museum located at the Rancho La Brea Tar Pits is down in Los Angles but very nice place, LA county art museum is next door as well.

So much to see, can't wait for this school year to end and we can get to see more of it.
rolleyes: the DesertHawk

Edited by DesertHawk, 12 December 2006 - 12:19 PM.

#6 Don in OKC

Don in OKC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (daneco @ Dec 12 2006, 05:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We would appreciate any tips or advice regarding the casita, the route, or any other help the more experienced members could offer.

Lots of information available if you 'tiptoe thru the archives'. biggrin.gif
Don in OKC - (Useta have a) 2000 16' LD, 98 Chrysler T&C

#7 framemaker

framemaker
  • Casita Club Member
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Art, Nature, Music

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:03 PM

Travel light. We carry a Laptop computer with routing software and a USB GPS. The Laptop is tops on my list of things to take. I believe James Kim would be alive today if he had a GPS and routing software on his trip.

You state you use GPS software. Do you know if it is Apple compatable? We are sort of new to the "traveling computer" game and have a ways to go with what is available.

#8 LindyW2

LindyW2
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,033 posts
  • Interests:Casita use and problems? I'm new at camping<br>Yard Work ATVing(Bombardier traxsterMax Xt 2 seater)<br>Yard saleing, Flea Markets Watch Fob Collecting ,US coin collecting, using computer <br>Target shooting Pistols and Rifles Shooting Range in back yard<br>I'm a retired Teamster (CF road Driver)
  • Casita Club Directory #:1387

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:32 AM

David & Neila

Congrats and WELCOME hope you enjoy your Casita as much as WE do !!!! dancinsmilie.gif

here are a few links that may be of interest to you

http://www.casitaforum.com/

http://www.casitaclu...p...p;f=2&t=331

http://rvwholesalers...;OVMTC=standard

The Casita forum is a bit more technical and it has a Fantastic Casita Manual to download and print to carry with you as it is very helpful in answering alot of questions .

ask away and you will have many reply to you to help with info and suggestions

and if you go to links at the bottom of alot of the post you will find many great pictures of Trips and MODS !!
Lindy & Sharon CC #1387
Casita Freedom Deluxe + Mods (A Hillbilly's Heaven)
2006 GMC Envoy Denali (Big Bessy) 5.3L V8 3.42 Rear axle
Prodigy brake controller
My Pictures http://community.web...m/user/lindyw43

#9 robertplattbell

robertplattbell
  • Casita Club Member
  • 259 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (pseabolt @ Dec 12 2006, 06:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No solids or toilet paper in the holding tanks. You can dump at most places without attaching the black hose.

Carry your drink and cooking water in containers and use the campgrounds or flying J showers. Get a sun shower bag for the national park areas. Remove the shower head in the casita, slide the sun shower bag over the handle and replace the shower head.

Uhh..... If you dump without your hose, don't expect to be invited back at most places. That is not the "Good Sam" way of doing things. I always wondered what inconsiderate person dumped without a hose before me (thanks, I got that on my shoes!) and now I know.

The systems in your camper were made to be USED. So go ahead and use the toilet for "solids and paper" -it can take it! A lot of "Dads" create a line at the dump station trying to "flush" every bit of solids out of the holding tank. Let it drain, and if there a little bit left in the tank, so what? It is a black water tank.

And use the HOSE! I had a friend who was new to RVing, and he went to the dump station and "let it fly". Needless to say, the campground manager had words with him.

(a box of disposable rubber gloves is a handy accessory, as are sanitizing wipes, by the way)

Ditto for the water. We usually buy bottled water, but there is no reason to avoid using your water tank. If you put a SMALL AMOUNT of chlorox in the holding tank, it will sanitize all the germs and the water is perfectly safe to drink or bathe in. So don't shy away from using the water tank.

And ditto for the shower. That hot water heater works GREAT and hardly uses any propane. There is little point in buying a "solar" shower, adding another gadget to your camper (and taking lukewarm showers) when your camper is equipped with a super hot water heater (these seem to be one of the most reliable RV appliances, as well - I've had NO problems with mine in my 20 years of RVing.).

I see this all the time. People put food in coolers instead of using the fridge (I never understood that one!). People use the campground shower or bathroom instead of the one in their rig. These things were made to be USED, and they do WORK. If the campgound bathroom is more convenient, sure. But don't feel you have to avoid using the features of your Casta. They will work, trust me!

If you really don't want a shower, fridge, toilet water tank, etc, they do make campers (Casitas and Scamps) without these things. But if you have them, there is no point in not using them.

When I bought my first camper, the original owner was proud of the fact the refrigerator was "never used" nor was the bathroom - he used coolers (and I guess a bucket). I don't know why - they both work great, and propane is cheaper than ice!

The only thing I'd agree with you on is KEEP IT LIGHT. A laptop also doubles as a DVD player, so who needs a television?

Have a safe trip!

P.S. - Consider joining the Good Sam Club, the largest RV organization in the world. Highways magazine has a lot of good information in it. A subscription to Trailer Life is not a bad idea, either.

#10 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 10:01 AM

wink.gif Right on robertplattbell; except the GoodSam Club, I joined but not used anything from them, if you use private campgrouds it might be worth it, but being a Good Sam by not spoiling the dump sites one does not have to be a member to do. Good advise. We do use the showers, etc if clean, etc if they have them, just to not have to dump as soon. But not always.
blink.gif the DesertHawk

After dumping the black tank, we just dump 2 or 3 pails of water down the toilet and it seems to clean up just fine.

Disposable rubber gloves and a hand sanitizer like GermX makes a nasty job less nasty.

Edited by DesertHawk, 14 December 2006 - 10:12 AM.

#11 geri

geri
  • Casita Club Member
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Photography, travelling, writing. I will be headed to AZ from Florida in the spring of 2007. Would love to meet other Casita owners along the way.

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:10 PM

I'm new to this too. Taking my maiden voyage starting tomorrow..... headed to Central Florida. If there are any eggs on the way.... let me know..... love to meet you. All of the previous advice sounds good. Here is one piece of good news I got from this website. A link to free campgrounds all over USA! I am trying the one out at Cedar Key tomorrow night. For fun, try this link. I have marked all the free campgrounds from here to AZ for my trip next May.

http://www.freecampgrounds.com/

Geri
Geri Moore
"Earthdancer"
2004 17' Spirit Deluxe
2004 Chevy TrailBlazer
The Midget (MinPin dog)
Bonkers and MoonPie (The Cats who adopted me.)

#12 Paul J

Paul J
  • Rally Organizer
  • 394 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 Casita SD 17'
  • Interests:State Park Camping; Visiting other States; and Cooking
  • Casita Club Directory #:1272

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:30 PM

Daneco:

They've said it all so well - All we can add is WELCOME!
Paul & Diane Jochum
1999 Spirit Deluxe #1272 "The LoVe Shack"

#13 daneco

daneco
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:36 AM

Thanks to all you fine people for the information. We will be departing florida early January and will keep you posted as we can.

david & neila coe

#14 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:09 PM

blink.gif Me again: In Texas if following I-10 Balmorhea State Park is located on 45.9 acres in the foothills of the Davis Mountains southwest of Balmorhea; The 77,053 square ft San Solomon Spring is the focal point of Balmorhea State Park. From 22 to 28 million gallons of water flow through the spring-fed swimming pool each day. Other CCC structures in the park include a limestone concession building, two wooden bathhouses, an adobe superintendent residence, and San Solomon Courts, an early expression of the modern-day motel, constructed of adobe bricks. All of the CCC buildings are constructed in a Spanish Colonial style with stucco exteriors and tile roofs. Visitors to Balmorhea State Park can enjoy a swim in the CCC-constructed pool full of fish, a great place to snokle and even scuba dive.

In New Mexico: Carlsbad Caverns National Park take a self-guided walking tour in the comfortable 56-degree climate and behold Carlsbad Caverns' bizarre formations - stalactites and stalagmites - borne out of the earth's own vibrant imagination. No camping at the park. But there is camping at Guadalupe Mountains National Park. Access to the parks campgrounds and most trails is available anytime.

Also on I-10 south at Willcox, AZ is Chiricahua National Monument. The 18-square-mile Monument is a mecca for hikers and birders. At the intersection of the Chihuahuan and Sonoran deserts, and the southern Rocky Mountains and northern Sierra Madre in Mexico, Chiricahua plants and animals represent one of the premier areas for biological diversity in the northern hemisphere. Chiricahua National monument is located 120 miles east of Tucson. Exit Interstate 10 at Willcox, and follow Arizona Route 186, 36 miles south to the Monument. Winter daytime highs range in the 50s to 60s and nighttime lows are typically in the upper teens or low twenties but can dip into the subzero range. One can view animals and birds not seen outside the desert southwest. Mammal species include: Javelina, Coatimundi, Fog-nosed and Hooded Skunks, White-tailed Deer, bears, and Mountain Lions. Birds seen include: Magnificent hummingbirds, Black-chinned hummingbirds, Scott's orioles, Hepatic tanagers, Painted redstarts, Yellow-rumped warblers, Red-faced warblers and Black-headed grosbeaks. Fantastic erosion-sculpted monoliths of volcanic rock include Totem Pole -- 137 feet high and 3 feet wide at its narrowest; north of Tucson is Picacho Peak State Park camping with the Giant Cacti.
In California off I-10 Located in southern California 140 miles east of Los Angeles, Joshua Tree National Park, this one I have not made it to, but want to.
wink.gif The DesertHawk