• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wes & Maggi Rudy

Wes & Maggi Rudy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 26 posts
  • Local time: 11:41 PM

Posted 11 January 2004 - 09:28 PM

We are considering purchasing a F 150 Ford Lariat, 300 horse power and we are wondering if it is really necessary to have the add on brake control system added to the truck. It is a very large truckl lots of pwoer and stopping ability. We think the Casita will look like a kitten following a tiger! Any thoughts out there? ;)

#2 Jerry & Joan

Jerry & Joan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 720 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 04:35 AM

If you are buying a brand new 16 or 17 foot Casita, Casita may require that you have operational trailer brakes before driving off? Call them and ask. Some states require trailer brakes if the trailer is over a certain weight. I think California is 1500 pounds and above. If your trailer has electric brakes, the controller is a small investment. And, in a panic stop situation, may just make the difference of impact or no impact. ;)

Jerry
Posted Image
Jerry & Joan

#3 Don in OKC

Don in OKC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,533 posts
  • Local time: 02:41 AM

Posted 12 January 2004 - 05:35 AM

we are wondering if it is really necessary to have the add on brake control system  added to the truck.

Yes, yes and more yes.

Some states require brakes on trailers over 1,000lbs. There's a list somewhere on the web.

Or if ya don't like regulations, do it cause it's safer...........or check your owners manual.

Electric brake controllers are small, can be mounted out of the way, not a problem when you're not towing.
Don in OKC - (Useta have a) 2000 16' LD, 98 Chrysler T&C

#4 cnold

cnold
  • Casita Club Member
  • 381 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 08:19 AM

Well now Maggi, you could have left this can of worms unopened. I guess that ignorance is bliss but I couldn't help looking for the list the Don mentioned and I found it in my Woodall's Directory. I think that trailer life has similar information on trailer safety requirements. The first thing that I noticed was that there is no uniform set of requirements. Each state or province makes it's own rules and they vary widely. While California and Idaho require brakes on trailers over 1,500 lbs., Kansas requires only safety chains. What disturbs me most is the number of states that require a breakaway switch. My home state of Missouri only recommends trailer brakes and breakaway switch on trailers over 3,000 lbs., but it is the law in virtually every state where I travel. I know that you are going to say, "Our Casitas don't weight 3,000 lbs." But after looking at the factory specs, I found only dry weights listed. The Dexter axle has a capacity of 3,500 lbs. Wouldn't that then be the GVW of a Casita? I don't see a breakaway switch offered as a Casita option. Maybe it's not an issue but I can't help wondering and don't want to give the police an excuse.

Here is the list that Don was talking about but don't rely on it alone. I noticed some discrepancies with the info in Woodall's. http://www.rvsafety.com/state.htm
2005 Toyota Tundra
1999 Casita 16" SD

#5 Jim in MI

Jim in MI
  • Casita Club Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 08:44 AM

Maggi,

If the F-150 DOES have the towing package, all you need is the controller and a wiring pigtail that plugs in under the dashboard.

If the F-150 DOES NOT have the towing package, you need the controller, the pigtail, and you can easily add genuine Ford parts to convert the 4-way flat trailer connector to a 7-way round connector.
Follow this link for the parts list: http://66.179.14.118...&threadid=68035

This will work on F-150 model years '97-'03.

#6 Ron and Bernice - Florida

Ron and Bernice - Florida
  • Casita Club Member
  • 855 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 10:12 AM

Maggi,

The reason that Casita doesn't show a option of a break away switch, is that it is standard equipment on all new units. And yes you are required to have trailer brakes on the 17 ft Casita in, I think, all states. When a 17 ft Casita is weighted it is somewhere just above 3200 lbs on average.

#7 Jerry & Joan

Jerry & Joan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 720 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 10:14 AM

That's right, my 2004 17SD came standard with a break-away switch.
Posted Image
Jerry & Joan

#8 abruce

abruce
  • Casita Club Member
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:2005 Bigfoot 25B25RQ (26 ft TT)<br />2003 Suburban 1500
  • Casita Club Directory #:1248

Posted 12 January 2004 - 01:11 PM

Forget the laws in each of the states. The only ones you need to be familiar with are the laws of physics particularly those concerning moving bodies. Get the trailer brakes, they may save you a lot of grief. ;)

#9 Rick J.

Rick J.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 147 posts
  • Local time: 03:41 AM
  • Interests:sailing and most other outdoor activities

Posted 12 January 2004 - 02:40 PM

Forget the laws in each of the states. The only ones you need to be familiar with are the laws of physics particularly those concerning moving bodies.

My sentiments exactly! You might get the Ford to stop on a dime, but what happens if the trailer wants to keep comming? I think truckers call this a "jackknife" :P
Rick & Lita
Ft. Myers, FL
'03 Honda Odyssey Tug
'02 Casita FD 17 (de Huevo) Tow