49 replies to this topic

#16 Mrs. Charlie C

Mrs. Charlie C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 263 posts
  • Local time: 11:01 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1459

Posted 14 November 2007 - 05:44 PM

Quite a few people have used the wire rack shelving for their front closet modifications.

QUOTE (Charlie C @ Feb 1 2007, 01:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wink.gif Here are the shelves that I made up for our trailer. There is about 8" on the left side of the cupboard to hang a couple of jackets etc. The front edge of the shelves is about 5" back from the front edge of the closet. The poles for the awning and add a room nicely tuck into the right corner along with the broom and awning crank. Lots of useable shelf space now and no wasted corners!!! Shelves.jpg

biggrin.gif

Edited by Charlie C, 14 November 2007 - 05:46 PM.

Sandy, Charlie, Rocky --#1459-- Richmond Hill, Ontario
Millenium Edition "Eggloo" 17SD -- 2003 Dodge Caravan

#17 Leehman Wexlin

Leehman Wexlin
  • Casita Club Member
  • 331 posts
  • Interests:photography, sailing, wood working, music

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:56 AM

Very special Thank You to USBURROS for making the shelf patterns.

They made the job so easy. I used different size lips on each shelf. Will be storing socks, etc. Plenty of room left for the hanging stuff, rain jacket etc.......

Attached Thumbnails

• 169A3096_copy.jpg

Joan Jane Leehman

http://leehman.smugmug.com/

#18 midemd

midemd
  • Casita Club Member
  • 117 posts
  • Local time: 08:01 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (Leehman Wexlin @ Sep 7 2010, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They made the job so easy. I used different size lips on each shelf. Will be storing socks, etc. Plenty of room left for the hanging stuff, rain jacket etc.......

How are these shelves attached to the Casita? I was using one of those fabric systems for hanging clothes that velcros to the rod in the closet, but after our most recent trip on some bumpy roads there are tears at the top and it's ready for the trash bin. I will admit I took way more clothes than I needed (part of the learning curve), but I expected it to hold up a little better, having only been using it for a little over three months.

Marsha

Edited by Ed and Marsha, 07 September 2010 - 11:15 AM.

#19 Leehman Wexlin

Leehman Wexlin
  • Casita Club Member
  • 331 posts
  • Interests:photography, sailing, wood working, music

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE (Ed and Marsha @ Sep 7 2010, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Leehman Wexlin @ Sep 7 2010, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How are these shelves attached to the Casita? I was using one of those fabric systems for hanging clothes that velcros to the rod in the closet, but after our most recent trip on some bumpy roads there are tears at the top and it's ready for the trash bin. I will admit I took way more clothes than I needed (part of the learning curve), but I expected it to hold up a little better, having only been using it for a little over three months.

Marsha

Hi Marsha,
I know the pictures look strange I used a fish eye lens to get the whole thing in frame.

The shelves are attached to the strip that holds the closet door on. That is indicated by the red arrows. The green arrows show the brackets that hold the shelf and are attached to the strip that holds the closet door on. I added a strip (RED) on top of the one holding the door on so it would run from the top of the closet to the floor giving it more strength. The brackets came from Home Depot are are inexpensive black angle shelf brackets. The shelves are left over material half inch birch and the lips are red oak. I sealed the everything with two coats of one step polyshade...
As of yet these are untested on a long trip or bumpy road. There will be no bowlling balls stored on the shelves.
The shelves are range from 23" x10" at the biggest to 20" x7" at the smallest. Yours may vary depending on the height you choose between shelves. These start even with the opening of the door so there is plenty of access to the Dungeon or the bottom section of the closet.
I wonder how all the missing screws end in the Dungeon?????????????
Hope this helps

Edited by Leehman Wexlin, 07 September 2010 - 05:52 PM.

Joan Jane Leehman

http://leehman.smugmug.com/

#20 dfltil

dfltil
  • Casita Club Member
  • 234 posts
  • Local time: 09:01 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD
  • Interests:We love to travel and make new friends. In addition to attending Casita rallies we cook with the Dutch Oven groups. We've cooked with and judged Chuck Wagon Cookoffs. I'm learning to play the Banjo and will now add Bluegrass gatherings to our travel agenda.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1991

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:09 PM

We used these tubs from "The Container Store" for about $12 each. They snap together and I used cable ties to hold them against the vent in the closet. Note there's still room on the side to keep broom or to hang a couple of long garments.

To install these bins, I removed the hinged door in the bottom of the closet and Trudy made template of the floor with
cut outs for the wiring at the front of the closet and the electric outlet box in the rear of the closet. We used 2 styrafoam "Boogie Boards" with the cutouts from the template to raise the bins about 6" above the floor. (Styrafoam is very light weight and strong enough to hold the weight of the bins) We found the "Boogie Boards" at a thrift store for about $2 each.

We then shopped for the racks on the door that actually fit pretty close to the bins when the door is shut. This keeps the bins from moving front-to-back when traveling.

This is a very efficient closet system as well as extremely light weight. And I think the bins are better than shelves because things can't fall off the back.

don

Attached Thumbnails

• MVC_007S.JPG
  • MVC_008S.JPG

• funstuff likes this
Don and Trudy
Dunnellon, Florida
TV: Toyota Tacoma
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe "Brutus"
Members LSDOS, Soggy Bottom Bluegrass Bunch
Go Bucks!

#21 DirtDawg

DirtDawg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 312 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:31 PM

I've viewed the nice shelves and bins in the main closet, which I use strictly for shirts and jackets on the rod plus shoes and overflow storage beneath on the closet floor. My long/short pants, drawers and socks go in overhead storage above the rear dinette/full-time bed. How well does this mod work in combo with the Casita clothing rod? I see an advantage in shelving just below bottom of those garments but more shelves otherwise seems to defeat the design purpose of having a "hanging locker".
"DirtDawg" Jeff
Camarillo, CA

2010 17 SD - DawgHouse II
2006 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Nismo
2000 Jeep "TJ" Wrangler

#22 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,253 posts
  • Local time: 10:01 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (Ed and Marsha @ Sep 7 2010, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Marsha

Marsha:

Look at THIS picture to see the vertical wood to which the shelves are fastened. Instead of shelf brackets, since I already had them, I used heavy duty corner brackets.

Harold
  • funstuff likes this

#23 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 507 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:49 AM

i've used one of those hanging shelf gizmos. i believe it's intended to be used for sweaters, etc. there's a velcro loop at the top that goes around the hanging rod and the shelves just drop down. there are several sizes (one for shoes and the larger one that i have). they're available at wally world & target (where mine came from) and fairly inexpensive (less than $20). i intended for these to be temporary until i could make some permanent shelves...they work so well that i've sorta put the shelf project on the back burner.

p@
"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan

#24 PRTexas

PRTexas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:34 PM

After trying several other options, we added shelves like Harold's.
shelves2.jpg
With a shoe holder on the left side and a shower organizer on the back for miscellaneous stuff
shoe_holder.JPG
Since we do a lot of weekend trips right now, I found it was just easier to grab clothes on hangers to move to the Casita when packing. This configuration gives us about 14" of hanging space and the hanging clothes keep stuff from falling off the shelves. You can see the collapsible laundry bin in the top picture.

Reine

Edited by PRTexas, 08 September 2010 - 09:36 PM.

• funstuff likes this
Paul and Reine
Plano, TX
2000 FD "new to us" in 2008
2008 Chevy Avalanche
traded the Chevy S10

#25 midemd

midemd
  • Casita Club Member
  • 117 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:50 AM

I like the idea of the shelves, off to the side, which gives you the best of both worlds. You can still hang clothes in the closet, which can be a plus. The fabric hanging organizer we have in the closet seems to take up most of the space, we only had room on the right for two lightweight rain jackets and the awning crank/support.

Reine - where did you get the mesh hanging storage? I like that idea for something in that space on the left for misc. items. We've only had our Casita four months and are still working out storage and more importantly, what we don't need to take with us.

Marsha

#26 PRTexas

PRTexas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:57 PM

Hi Marsha, the mesh organizer on the left is a 24 pocket shoe organizer that I got at Target (around $12) and cut off the bottom row of pockets. I have it tied over the clothes rod with drapery hooks supporting the upper corners. You may have to look a bit to find one with the mesh pockets but it lets you see what you put in them. In our Casita the vent pipe is far enough back than one "column" of pockets in in front of it. That column holds the OFF, Sunscreen and other stuff we want readily available.

The one in the back of the closet is a mesh shower organizer that I picked up at one of the dollar stores for $2. I use that one for a small sewing kit, clear fingernail polish, and other stuff I don't need very often but want to know exactly where it is. I have another one on the cabin side wall of the bathroom to hold our medicine, hairbrush, and some other stuff we use frequently.

We've been VERY pleased with the shelves in the closet. Having them on the side provides easy access and allows some hanging stuff in the middle where it's easy to get to.

Hope that helps.

Reine
Paul and Reine
Plano, TX
2008 Chevy Avalanche
traded the Chevy S10

#27 lyndamcginley

lyndamcginley
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 10:01 PM
  • Interests:Quilting, sailing and computers

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:00 PM

Hi Don & Trudy,

I'm wondering why you had to raise the bins?

We just bought our LD17 and are looking at the closet modes. Yours makes a lot of sense. We don't want to add weight.

thanks
lynda

Lynda McGinley
17' Liberty Deluxe 2010

#28 PRTexas

PRTexas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:12 PM

Lynda, I'm not Don or Trudy but I'll take a stab at your quesiton. If you take a good look at the floor of your closet, you will find a "slant board" in the back to cover and protect the wiring that runs back there. My guess is that they had to raise the floor about 6" to get a flat surface and also so they could access the bottom bin. The door doesn't go all the way down.

FYI, those of us who have put in the side shelves cut them to fit the curvature of the Casita so stuff doesn't fall off the back.

Reine
Paul and Reine
Plano, TX
2008 Chevy Avalanche
traded the Chevy S10

#29 tampasailor

tampasailor
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (sandywebb @ Nov 14 2007, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can get some stacking drawer units from places like Wal-Mart, Lowe's, etc. which is what I use.

Sandy

We bought two of the fabric closet hanging shelves that attach via Velcro straps to the hanging bar, one for my wife's things, one for me. They each have about 8-9 shelves, about 10"wide, 9" high, and 12 " deep. Elaine has a plastic box in one of them for make up, etc. They cost about $4 each, and are a quick, easy solution. We still store a few extra things down under where they hang. We keep most all of our clothes in these organizers. We keep our hanging clothes like jeans and jackets in the 4Runner on a hanging bar. We just returned from a 2 month trip and this served us well, at minimal effort and cost. I recently saw these for sale at AKEA. We got both of ours at a thrift shop for $1 each.

Edited by tampasailor, 27 September 2010 - 12:56 PM.

#30 L.K. Graham

L.K. Graham
  • Casita Club Member
  • 22 posts
  • Local time: 09:01 PM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:01 PM

I was looking at all these suggestions for building shelves in the closet when I came across a simple canvas organizer at WalMart that hangs from the clothes rod. It has about 10 compartments, is easily removable, and still leaves a portion of the rod to hang a couple clothing items. Simple,light & cheap.
L.K.Graham, Colorado