• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sandpipa

sandpipa
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts
  • Local time: 06:52 PM

Posted 31 December 2003 - 02:31 PM

We are planning to pick up our new 17' Casita in April. We will be driving back east to Florida and New England. We're planning to take about 6 months and attempt to do lots of sightseeing. We will not be returning to California until Sept or Oct. So, the question is how do we get it registered? Well, we figured out that we couldn't register it in Ca. without the DMV seeing the vehicle with the Vin# etc. etc. So now we are pursuing the idea of registering it in Florida. We will be using the Good Sam Mail forwarding service which is located in Florida and they also have an address that we can use.

This is all new to us! Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone used the Good Sam mail forwarding service? What about registering your Casita in Florida even though you live in Ca. and your tow vehicle is registered in Ca.

If this works out, we would plan to register the Casita in Ca. when we arrive back home.
Pauline & Dick Roy
Thousand Palms, Ca
2004 17' FD

#2 Robert & Karen Elling

Robert & Karen Elling
  • Casita Club Member
  • 226 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 07:06 AM

Two places to go for an answer. First, your home state. Second, give Casita a call, and talk to the folks that register the new trailers. Ask for your sales person at the Rice factory, and talk to them.
Hopefully someone that has traveled from the Rice factory, to the long way home can help you.
Robert ;)

#3 CarolU

CarolU
  • Rally Organizer
  • 867 posts
  • Casita Club Directory #:1014

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:12 AM

Traveling on for six months does create a small problem - but there has to be a way. Others have vacationed after picking their trailers up.

We live in California. Before we left for Texas we went to the DMV - they completely filled out the registration for us.. gave us a temporary permit to bring our trailer home from Texas.... We had to partially pay the DMV before we left for Texas... But we came straight home...

Casita Enterprises will also give you a temporary paper from their state. It was only valid for a short time.
Carol and Jim #1014
2002 17' Liberty Deluxe "Snuggy Buggy"
2010 Honda Odyssey with Res/Nav
Canyon Country, CA

#4 sandpipa

sandpipa
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 12:27 PM

Robert & Carol,
Thanks for your suggestions. Since my original note, we have done some homework. We sent payment for our Casita along with the Ca. DMV paperwork and we're now awaiting the paperwork back from Casita. Our sales rep, Jeanne, will have the paperwork signed by a proper "official" which the Ca DMV needs in order to verify the Vin #. So, as soon as I receive the paperwork back from Casita, I'll bring it to the CA DMV and then the fun will begin depending on who I get to speak to at the DMV. When I originally visited the CA DMV, they told me that they would issue a temporary permit which is only good for up to 60 days. For some reason, they were insisting that we bring the vehicle back to CA in order to get the permanent registration. As far as Dick is concerned, he figures that once we have all the paperwork and the signature from the proper "official" and give them the registration fee$$, they should be happy. O.K., so if we only get the 60 day pass, we'll just have to take our chances that we don't get stopped along the way. At this stage, we will feel confident that we have done our best to fulfill the CA DMV requirements.

Anyways, at this time we are attempting to focus on other more important preparations for our adventure which is around the corner. I'm in the middle of compiling all my existing lists of "things to do" and begin to do the "things to do". Are we having fun yet??

Pauline
Pauline & Dick Roy
Thousand Palms, Ca
2004 17' FD

#5 Chris B

Chris B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 472 posts
  • Local time: 07:52 PM

Posted 17 March 2004 - 06:06 PM

Sandpipa - We live in CA too. I didn't have the same challenge that you are experiencing due to your extended trip, but the CA DMV insisted that we bring the Casita to them. I hope that the official in Texas can validate the information and it will be sufficient. It's a pain driving a car into the CA DMV without a trailer! Also, very rarely do I trust what they tell you over the phone....it always seems to be the opposite. I begged Auto Club to do it but they couldn't.
I wish you the best of luck! When one of the DMV's got torched years ago during the Rodney King fiasco, people were cheering!

Chris B
Chris B
'03 17' Liberty Deluxe
2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
Southern California (Orange County)

#6 Just Bill

Just Bill
  • Casita Club Member
  • 53 posts
  • Local time: 07:52 PM
  • Interests:I'm a recently retired Cardiologist. My major hobby is playing the pipe organ. I love being out of doors, especially at our cabin on Fallen Leaf Lake in the Sierra.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1285

Posted 18 March 2004 - 03:45 PM

Jeanne offered to have a "police office" inspect our trailer and fill out the necessary forms for us also. However, the CA-DMV folks said that wasn't satisfactory. They insist on visually and personally inspecting the trailer. It took just a few minutes at the DMV with whom I made an appointment. Pulling into their parking lot and waiting was a little daunting and I wouldn't do it alone without someone to remain with the van and trailer while going inside for the appt.

I got the strong impression that DMV doesn't care a bit how long you have been driving around before entering the state of California. What they care about is that you get registered and pay them the big lot of money for the sales tax within a specified time period after entering the state.

Good luck!