meanders
  • Casita Club Member
  • 645 posts
  • Local time: 06:52 PM
  • Interests:travel<br />biochemistry
  • Casita Club Directory #:2338

Posted 03 June 2006 - 03:32 PM

Hi all
We are Casita newbies planning our 2nd trip: from DFW, tx to Mt Rushmore.
Any tips of the road and campgrounds, especially around Mt. Rushmore.
Thanks
meanders smile.gif
meanders
Denton, Tx
Honda Ridgeline RT
2006 SD 17
Prodigy
Casita Club # 2338

#2 Ray & Linda

Ray & Linda
  • Casita Club Member
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:34 AM

When are you going?
Have you checked out the post from Julian?
He will be traveling up that way this Fall, as will we.
Linda & Ray
2006 Liberty Deluxe - The Cabin
2005 Ranger V6 Edge

#3 meanders

meanders
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 645 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:26 PM

We are starting in Denton, going straight up to SD, then left to Mt. Rushmore and nearby sites. Advice? Recommendations?
No I did not see Julien's.
Mary
we will go at the end of the month
meanders
Denton, Tx
Honda Ridgeline RT
2006 SD 17
Prodigy
Casita Club # 2338

#4 Ray & Linda

Ray & Linda
  • Casita Club Member
  • 297 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:29 PM

My suggestions are to look at the threads posted by Julian, over the past week or so. He is asking about a cross country trips and campgraounds along the way.

Just scan the list of titopic starters. When you find Julian read the stuff on it.

I have told this so many times but the short of is, I retire 7-7. anim_bannana.gif
We pick up our, (yet unnamed) Casita on 7-17. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

We will take a few days to travel back home and get acquainted with our LD
and spend time with family. I plan to throw a party or two to celetrate my
retirement and the purchase of our Casita before we leave on a trip of our lifetiime.

We will go in a sorta zigzag toward ND and then turn west/south and zigzag toward Rushmore and spend several days there. Next we will head across Montana, Idaho, through the NW corner of Oregon toward Seatle and Bellingham WA. After visiting family and friends and seeing as much as we can of Washington coast and possibly going on up into Canada we will zigzag south and then head east for the flat lands of JKS byt the middle of Oct, to spend the holidays with our kids & grandkids.
I plan to get maps and info from AAA before we leave on our grand tour.

After this trip we will take shorter trips of only ten to 20 days several time during the year. I am thinking we may just heat the Casita enought during the winter in order to be ready to travel in Feb and come to TX for a few weeks where it's warmer.

To prepare for the trip I have been researching on the internet.
I put in an area I am curious about such as the name of a town or park
like this --- South Dakota + State and National parks + Campgrounds.

I have been printing out interesting items and info & will be making a parks binder with a section for places and stops in each state we are interested. The sections was and idea gotten from another Casita Club member. I also plan to keep a written diary, mork on our atlas where we go and take hundreds of photos with our two digital cameras.

It's fun to look on the internet. I have learned a lot.
Have fun and let us hear about your trip.
Linda & Ray
2006 Liberty Deluxe - The Cabin
2005 Ranger V6 Edge

#5 Jim Paskett

Jim Paskett
  • Casita Club Member
  • 13 posts
  • Local time: 07:52 PM

Posted 11 June 2006 - 05:41 PM

biggrin.gif

I recently returned from that area, and 2 places I could recommend are both just outside of Custer SD. Both only a few miles from the Mt.Rushmore moment and the Crazy Horse Moment.

First is the KOA at Custer (#3) in the South Dakota KOA index...nice sites and excellant management folks.

Second is actually right next door to the above KOA, it is called Beaver Lake Campgrounds. I stayed at BeaverLake just before memorial day and I believe I posted a picture or two in the rv events section under the title of something like Beaver Lake Camp get together.

Beautiful seceny...just west of Custer in the Forest on Hwy 16 you'll see the effects of the Jasper Fire that went through the area a few years ago.

Jim Paskett

Attached Thumbnails

• Beaver_from_the_Beaver_Lake_Campgrounds_Custer_SD.jpg

#6 Meriflower

Meriflower
  • Casita Club Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:01 PM

We stayed at the Rafter J campground in Hill, SD. It's near Mt. Rushmore. We enjoyed our stay, was well kept. Here is their website which does include a virtual tour:

http://www.rafterj.com/

Also, I highly recommend you not visit SD/Mt. Rushmore during the Sturgis bike rally! blink.gif

Also, make to sure to visit Custer State Park - beautiful!!

#7 Chris Z

Chris Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 788 posts
  • Local time: 08:52 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' SD

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:39 AM

I second the Beaver Lake Campgrounds. Just stayed there in June. I also agree you should go thru Custer State Park-- something definetly to see. Go ahead and see Crazy Horse too along with the laser show at night.
#2077 Louisville, Ky
2006 Black Chevy Suburban
2005 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

#8 KTBarRanch

KTBarRanch
  • Casita Club Member
  • 203 posts
  • Local time: 05:52 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1900

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:14 PM

We also stayed at the KOA in Custer and liked it. The KOA in Deadwood is kind of cool looking - we didn't stay there. We really liked staying at the Devil's Tower KOA - awesome view! And they show "Close Encounters" every night.
KT Bar Ranch and Sanatorium
Katy and Thomas
1988 13' Patriot Deluxe
2000 17' SD "Bootlegger"
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4.7 V8
Professional Porch Sitters Union Local #6511

#9 Biscuit

Biscuit
  • Casita Club Member
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Woodworking, Golf, Swimming, working out, gardening, fishing, camping(hopefully)

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:04 AM

Best of luck on your trip to Rushmore. If possible, plan on going to upper Montana to see the jewel of the state parks which is even better than the Colo rockies. It's called Glacier National Park. Being a avid fan of CO montains, I still think Glacier is by far prettier and more majestic. Anyway, we too have a Honda Ridgeline and will be getting our new Casita in Sept. and hope to go where ever we can. How do you like pulling yours with a Honda? MPG ? Any feedback appreciated. We live in the OK city area.
Maybe we can see you all some time on a rally or trip.
Our best..
John and Erma
We named our Casita "Biscuit" after our Jack Russell

#10 meanders

meanders
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 645 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:07 PM

John and Emma
We had a great trip to mt rushmore; got to see a big Winnie stuck in needle rock in the park--what a hoot--so many signs, but clearly they did not see them.
This year we are going to Seattle and back.
Love the Ridgeline, just wish we had gotten the adjustable seats. get between 13 to 15 mpg depending upon whether flat or climbing, but mostly on speed (with our new kumho tires, I can go faster, so our mpg drops from 15 to 13)
We live in Denton, just a little down the road smile.gif
Good luck with your wait for your new Biscuit!
meanders smile.gif

meanders
Denton, Tx
Honda Ridgeline RT
2006 SD 17
Prodigy
Casita Club # 2338

#11 Rustylee

Rustylee
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 05:52 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Standard 16

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:33 PM

I see that the original post was back in 2006 so it is a little late to help. I live on the edge of the Black Hills. It is wise to ask questions ahead of time because people come here thinking that all there is Mount Rushmore. Some think they can tour all the Hills in a day. Although the hills are very compact compared to other mountain ranges, maybe about 80 X 50 miles, there is more to it than one rock outcropping.

Up until now, I have always been a tent camper so I would avoid the Forest Service campgrounds because the campgrounds in the state parks have hot showers and flushing toilets. The Forest Service campgrounds are well kept, under utilized and have vault toilets.

Most people never travel the Needles Highway or Sylvan Lake. Take a day to hike Harney Peak but get directions for the best routes. Drive Spearfish Canyon. The best waterfall in the canyon is only 70 yards off the road and there is no sign. Check out Deadwood, an old mining town that now has gambling. Want to go swimming? Hike 600 yards to Hippie Hole or drive to Cascade. The best route to Mt Rushmore is not the most direct route.

Have fun in the Black Hills. It's more than Mt Rushmore. When you get here, ask a half dozen locals for their favorite Black Hills locations. Then plan your route to what interests you the most.
  • Babs&Chris likes this

#12 airbusdriver

airbusdriver
  • Casita Club Member
  • 26 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD/17'
  • Interests:Hunting, fly fishing, golf, camping, boy scouts, flying, reading.

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

We stayed at the Rafter J this summer and recommend it for your stay in the Rushmore/Crazy Horse area. They had a free b'fast which was really nice.

Enjoy .... website - http://www.rafterj.com/

#13 Lois Rhodes

Lois Rhodes
  • Casita Club Member
  • 39 posts
  • Local time: 08:52 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 17' Liberty DL
  • Interests:Hiking, reading, photography

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:44 AM

You didn't mention whether you require hookups or not. Custer State Park has a very nice high campground on a lake with hookups. However, the demand for that campground is high, and reservations need to be made well in advance. If you are open to camping off the grid, I can recommend Horsethief Lake(a USFS campground) just down the hill from Mt Rushmore. We have stayed there twice, and enjoyed it. There are trailheads you can access from the campground, and more nearby. In fact, we walked trails to Mt. Rushmore, and walked right in, totally bypassing the entrance station. The campground host was friendly, and can provide trail information. You may well need reservations there too, although there are some campsites that are designated as first come-first served.

If you will be driving west on I-90 through South Dakota, we had a one night stopover at the Belvidere KOA, and were very favorably impressed.

Hope this helps!
Lois
2010 17' Liberty DL
Smyrna, GA