18 replies to this topic

#1 Ranger

Ranger
  • Casita Club Member
  • 94 posts
  • Local time: 05:15 PM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 04:52 AM

Howdy folks,

I saw a "RV Leveler" leveling ramp on CampingWorld http://www.campingwo...ID=71786&src=WL

These look like they would be very easy to use and store. Does anyone use them? Do they hold the trailer securely? The tech specs say they are 5 1/4" wide; is that wide enough for a Casita tire?

I had planned on using the interlocking plastic blocks for leveling, but they don't store very well in the Casita. When looking for other solutions, I saw the ramps and they look even easier to use.

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

#2 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,676 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, musea, traditional jazz music, piano, full time traveling.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:14 AM

One caveat - make sure you block the low side of the little ramp. I found and tried a wood wedge some time ago. When I disconnected the trailer from my vehicle, the tire on the wedge promptly rolled off, slewing the Casita and the Casita tongue came off the block and bit the dust. Bit of a pain to jack it back up and start over mad.gif .
Ed Trautwein, #1372 - '03 17SD "Pura Vida", HLA
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -
Casita living - luxury on two wheels.

Home is where I park it!

#3 Donald Stahl

Donald Stahl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 519 posts
  • Local time: 04:15 PM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:58 AM

I would think it would be quite easy for the wheel to roll off this 'ramp.' Don't see any way of preventing it either, unless one could fashion some device to level where the tire sits.

Also, we have been in a few camp sites where several blocks of wood were required to lift the trailer three or four inches. Don't see this itsy plastic thing as having that capability. Don

#4 RON

RON
  • Casita Club Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 09:28 AM

Buy the interlocking plastic blocks---you won't be sorry. I have 2 sets of them---used to have a double axle Sunline---they are just great. They store easily in their own bag and are light in weight compared to other items people use to level their trailers. Definately go with the Lynx Levelers. wink.gif
Ron & Elsie, & Pollyanna Cat
2003 Casita 17' FD
2005 Chev 2500 HD Ext Cab Duramax/Allison

#5 Donald Stahl

Donald Stahl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 519 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 10:08 AM

Ron,

Are you speaking of those yellow blocks, ten to a bag for $33.00 bucks at Camping World? If so, is ten adequate? Say frinstance you need to elevate the trailer by five blocks - I would think that one would need four blocks in front of the five, three in front of the four, and etc> Total needed would be 15 blocks. How thick are those anyway? I just may buy some as I am sure they are much lighter than the 2 inch wood ones I haul around now. Don

#6 Sonia

Sonia
  • Casita Club Member
  • 647 posts
  • Local time: 06:15 PM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 12:19 PM

I prefer the plastic blocks in the zipped bag; mine are orange in a blue bag. They sell them at WalMart too. I have never used the entire bag. There is a big chock available which connects to the blocks and is very secure. I recommend it too.

These lego type blocks are a lot easier to carry around than wood boards. They are cleaner, easy to rinse, and more compact than various boards.

I'm very picky about being very level because it annoys me if the bathroom door wants to always swing closed or something. The lego type blocks are sometimes too thick, so I also have yellow plastic squares. They may be just the amount I need under one side to level and are also good for putting under the rear stablizing jacks. When you are on a soft surface, or on blacktop, you do not want to put the stablizing jacks down without something under them. They sink in soft areas and they damage blacktop, expecially in hot weather.

The other thing I like a lot is a yellow cone shaped plastic thing for putting under the hitch jack post (what is that called?). I have not seen that at WalMart; got mine at Camping World.
Sonia
2008 17'SD "PachyDen2"
useta have: 2005 17'LD "PachyDen"
2010 Toyota 4Runner

#7 Donald Stahl

Donald Stahl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 519 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 04:30 PM

OK Sonia, Ron, Ranger,

Went to the RV store and found a cool one piece three elevation ramp about 2 1/2 feet long. Brought it home, tried it, and after unhooking the trailer from the car, it promptly rolled off the ramp, pushing the jack stand on the concrete floor. Reason, the level step area was too short to allow but only about a third of the tire a solid platform. Took it back, got a refund, and bought 10 of those interlocking plastic blocks of which you speak. They work fine. Threw out all the heavy lumber and had room left over in the storage box for a few extra things. Hey, it does pay to downsize, reduces weight, and provides more storage room as well. Does it make sense to downsize to a small trailer, then carry half a lumber yard in the tow vehicle? lol !! Don

#8 LindyW2

LindyW2
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,033 posts
  • Interests:Casita use and problems? I'm new at camping<br>Yard Work ATVing(Bombardier traxsterMax Xt 2 seater)<br>Yard saleing, Flea Markets Watch Fob Collecting ,US coin collecting, using computer <br>Target shooting Pistols and Rifles Shooting Range in back yard<br>I'm a retired Teamster (CF road Driver)
  • Casita Club Directory #:1387

Posted 28 May 2006 - 04:41 AM

This is a subject of personal preference and we all like different ideas

after sliding off blocks of wood once I decided to make a ramp YES ITS BIG AND HEAVY but I feel its very SECURE

3 pieces of treated 2x10 with angles cut on them then screwed together Won't rot and is stable I agree this is not for everyone as carrying it is possible problem

Casita_leveling_platform_and_yard_flowers_002__Small_.jpg Casita_leveling_platform_and_yard_flowers_001__Small_.jpg Casita_leveling_platform_and_yard_flowers_003__Small_.jpg
Lindy & Sharon CC #1387
Casita Freedom Deluxe + Mods (A Hillbilly's Heaven)
2006 GMC Envoy Denali (Big Bessy) 5.3L V8 3.42 Rear axle
Prodigy brake controller
My Pictures http://community.web...m/user/lindyw43

#9 RON

RON
  • Casita Club Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 07:20 AM

Sonia, Donald, and Ranger: I never had leggo blocks as a child, so now I have some---2 bags full. One set is orange in a blue bag and the other is the same but in a black bag. They are very strong and light weight. I think I remember reading where they are rated at 50,000 lbs. You just can't beat them. Sonia---you talk of a chock that locks into the plastic blocks, I've not seen one of those. Where did you get it and what is it called? Thanks, Ron wink.gif
Ron & Elsie, & Pollyanna Cat
2003 Casita 17' FD
2005 Chev 2500 HD Ext Cab Duramax/Allison

#10 S & J

S & J
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 03:15 PM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 09:47 AM

Jeff,
I have been using those leveling ramps for the last 25 years on 8 trailers including a 14,000 pound dual axle fifth wheeler. Never had a problem, but I always put wheel chock behind the tire on the low side of the leveler and on both sides of the other tires. Easy to use, light weight. Works for me.

John
Sandi & John
2003 17' SD
2004 Chevy Express AWD
Tijeras, NM

#11 mjones12

mjones12
  • Casita Club Member
  • 772 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (S & J @ May 28 2006, 10:47 AM)
Jeff,
I have been using those leveling ramps for the last 25 years on 8 trailers including a 14,000 pound dual axle fifth wheeler.  Never had a problem, but I always put wheel chock behind the tire on the low side of the leveler and on both sides of the other tires.  Easy to use, light weight.  Works for me.

John

Yes, I do the same thing. I have two of the yellow ones, just like the orange ones shown in the initial post. I always put a regular chock on the low side, and it fits snugly and works great. On a few occasions I have used one of the ramps on top of the other, with a chock on the low side, and it also worked perfectly.

#12 Ranger

Ranger
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 05:16 AM

QUOTE (RON @ May 28 2006, 09:20 AM)
Sonia, Donald, and Ranger:  I never had leggo blocks as a child, so now I have some---2 bags full. One set is orange in a blue bag and the other is the same but in a black bag. They are very strong and light weight. I think I remember reading where they are rated at 50,000 lbs. You just can't beat them. Sonia---you talk of a chock that locks into the plastic blocks, I've not seen one of those. Where did you get it and what is it called? Thanks, Ron wink.gif

I think this is what Sonia is refering to http://www.lynxlevelers.com/new.html

Cabela's has them
http://www.cabelas.c...0177&hasJS=true

#13 Ranger

Ranger
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 05:23 AM

QUOTE (S & J @ May 28 2006, 11:47 AM)
Jeff,
I have been using those leveling ramps for the last 25 years on 8 trailers including a 14,000 pound dual axle fifth wheeler.  Never had a problem, but I always put wheel chock behind the tire on the low side of the leveler and on both sides of the other tires.  Easy to use, light weight.  Works for me.

John

John, I'm trying to picture how one would chock a wheel which was sitting on a ramp, and how that chock would stay put! Do you just put the chock up under the tire sitting on the ramp, and when the trailer is unhooked, the weight holds the chock in place on the ramp?

Also, it soundes like you have the same ramps I linked to above. If so, given the dimensions, I was concerned they weren't wide enough to support the tires. Do you find they provide enough support of the tire sidewall?

I currently have a bag of lynx levelers, but I'm thinking of ordering the ramps if they work and are safe to use since they seem so much easier to use!

#14 mjones12

mjones12
  • Casita Club Member
  • 772 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (Ranger @ May 29 2006, 06:23 AM)
QUOTE (S & J @ May 28 2006, 11:47 AM)
Jeff,

John

John, I'm trying to picture how one would chock a wheel which was sitting on a ramp, and how that chock would stay put! Do you just put the chock up under the tire sitting on the ramp, and when the trailer is unhooked, the weight holds the chock in place on the ramp?

Also, it soundes like you have the same ramps I linked to above. If so, given the dimensions, I was concerned they weren't wide enough to support the tires. Do you find they provide enough support of the tire sidewall?

I currently have a bag of lynx levelers, but I'm thinking of ordering the ramps if they work and are safe to use since they seem so much easier to use!

When I use the ramps, I just put the chock behind the wheel, and the chock is held in place by the rough surface on top of the ramp. It works great. The chock won't slide down the ramp. In fact I usually have to pull farther up the ramp when trying to get the chock out. I'm talking about the wedge-shaped plastic chocks.

#15 Sonia

Sonia
  • Casita Club Member
  • 647 posts
  • Local time: 06:15 PM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:50 AM

Ron, Ranger posted the link to the correct item to which I referred. It's a Lynx chock that goes with the Lynx lego blocks. I looked at the WalMart in my current location and found the bag of Lynx blocks, but they also did not have big orange chock.
Sonia
2008 17'SD "PachyDen2"
useta have: 2005 17'LD "PachyDen"
2010 Toyota 4Runner