• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 abundant

abundant
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 01:32 AM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 03:06 PM

I am new to the Casita club. I am hoping to buy one in the future, but not at this time. I am trying to educate myself on how to price the used trailers. I was surprised to see that the used Casitas were priced generally higher than the brand new models at the showroom in Texas. Is this because of extras generally added to the trailers by the owners? The showroom prices are ones that were quoted to me over the phone by the salesperson who was on duty.

#2 John and Nancy Hamilton

John and Nancy Hamilton
  • Casita Club Member
  • 433 posts
  • Local time: 11:32 PM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 03:32 PM

The price of used Casitas is due to:

The quality of the trailer. They are well manufactured, very little to go wrong. Actually, they are almost indestructible.

There is relatively limited production.

There are few small, aerodynamic, light weight, easy to tow trailers being manufactured. The floor plans are by far the most space efficient ones available.

It is true that added options will change the price. The best thing to do is ask for a current price list, pick the options, and work out a price. All Casitas are created equally, they are not equipped equally. If you are looking at used models, check what options are included in the price.

Lastly, if you find a used on you like, don't wait around to buy it!
John and Nancy Hamilton
Junction City, Oregon

#3 BradBev

BradBev
  • Rally Organizer
  • 911 posts
  • Local time: 12:32 AM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 03:35 PM

I'm not sure what prices you're seeing nor what they quoted you on the phone (maybe base price?)

You'll find that Casita trailers hold their value, but I'd never pay over list since the waiting list is now down to about 3 to 3.5 months. That's half of last year.

As I understand, there has been one price increase since I ordered and accepted delivery of my 2006 (delivered last Oct.) due to increased energy cost. At that time, a well equiped 17' would have been around $15,300 to $15,500 as delivered in Rice, TX. (I'm guessing options will add about $2000 over base price so base was around $13+k.)

I suggest you talk to one of the sales persons (they're all great folks), get current prices sent to you, and then you can make the decision to buy used or order a new one.

Whether you buy new or used, you'll find you've probably made a good decision, and you will lose very little if you decide you've make a mistake. We took our first trip in February, and the first day or so I was wondering if we could adapt to the small space in a Casita. We just returned from our second trip which was almost 4 weeks long, and we're loving it. It just getting into the frame of mind that you can't take everything with you. And you'll find this group loves adapting their Casita's to accommodate to their individual needs.

Brad

2014 Texas Bluebonnet Casita Rally April 23-27, Bandera, TX.
Astronomy
Amateur Radio (K5ILW)

#4 abundant

abundant
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 03:58 PM

The prices that were quoted to me over the phone by the Casita salesperson were as follows for basic models: 13ft - $10,000, 16ft - $12,452, 17ft - $13,563. I suppose that I do need to get more information about what's on the basic models. I was comparing these prices to the price listings posted within the Casita Club classifieds. Nearly all of the classifieds were higher than these. My only experience with purchasing vehicles is with cars which generally drop far below their showroom value even when packaged with lots of options.

I'm learning and am willing to be coached along on how to price the older models. In the mean time, I will call the showroom salesperson back (and revisit the internet site) and get a list of the features which go with those particular quotes.

#5 hotrodharv

hotrodharv
  • Casita Club Member
  • 93 posts
  • Local time: 10:32 PM
  • Interests:Street Rods, Camping, Touring the country in our Casita<br>and going to Carshows with our 36 Chevrolet Streetrod.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1187

Posted 30 April 2006 - 04:11 PM

anim_bannana.gif
I think that you will find a vast difference between the depreciation on autos and those on Fiberglass R.V.s.

The biggest thing to consider is the number of units made each year and the increasing demand for fuel efficient travel trailers.

Untill gas prices started to sky rocket you could generally figure about a one thousand dollar drop in price per year the first five years, then holding after that.

Now they don't loose even that much.

I hope you find the trailer for you before prices increase even more.

Harv in Colo.

#6 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
  • Local time: 02:32 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD Inneggsisle
  • Interests:kids and grand kids
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows
  • Casita Club Directory #:1193

Posted 30 April 2006 - 04:19 PM

Abundant,, this is the link to their website and if you root around on it you will find a list of options to pick from, most folks seem to get most of the options and that usually make them sell better if you decide to sell it. We tossed around buying new back in 1998 but decided to wait till I retired in 2001, we found a used 1999 on ebay and bought it in 2002. a couple of months ago another 1999 showed up on ebay and went for over $1100.00 more than I paid for mine, so the used can be a great buy smile.gif

http://www.casitatra...s.com/home.html

Bill & Karen Sarasota, Fl. Love being Inneggsile

#7 Ray & Linda

Ray & Linda
  • Casita Club Member
  • 297 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 04:36 PM

We pick up our Liberty Delux on 7-17. We ordered every bell and whistle available on the list, plus an extra interior elect outlet. biggrin.gif I plan to take a sewing machine and we may eventually have a laptop. The outlet is only $80 and so much easier, nicer and probably less expensive then a later add in.

Seems like our price is just under $16,000. We got some options we may not use, much, partly due to the resale value and why not get it when it is new. It really doesn't really add that much to the over all cost. I didn''t think we really need the furnace and Ray didn't think the larger fresh water tank was necesary. We compromised. blink.gif I called and ordered both. smile.gif
Linda & Ray
2006 Liberty Deluxe - The Cabin
2005 Ranger V6 Edge

#8 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 2,397 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 30 April 2006 - 04:56 PM

There is a Base Price and a Sale Price for each trailer size and the prices for each size also differ between the Standard and the Deluxe models. Depending on the type of camper you are, you may find that some of the options are not necessary. For instance, we mainly dry camp and use the battery for power so we didn't get the TV antenna or the microwave.
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#9 rbuck

rbuck
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:17 PM

Hi:
All Casitas are custom ordered.-- None are sold in RV dealerships new. This means they are not mass produced the quality is closely monitored. As a buyer of a new or used Casita, you can be confident that they can and do maintain their value. Not so with mass produced units. A quick check will tell the story. I have done the research.
Buck

#10 Derby

Derby
  • Casita Club Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:55 PM

Depends on where you are buying. For example I live in California. If I want to buy a new one and don't want to make the trip to Texas to pick it up and bring it back, it will cost over $1,000 to have it delivered. So a used Casita in California for example is usually $1,000 more than a used one in Texas. Even if the original owner did not pay to have it delivered, he or she may still ask a higher price if they are far from where they are sold direct. Supply and demand.

Also the original owner will being paying high title/registration fee's ( again using CA in this example ) that are calculated on the original purchase price through Casita. When the original owner goes to sell, you as the second will just have to pay the transfer fee ( I think 15 bucks ) and sales tax. I have heard that sometimes the second owner says he bought this trailer for much much much much much cheaper, therefor not paying so much on taxes, where the original owner is paying on the FULL REAL price that Casita charged. Because the original owner is aware of the huge savings the second buying is getting, the original owner will tend to ask a high price to help cover some of that initial purchase cost that one tends to forget when talking prices through Casita.

As it has been mentioned before. A Casita with all the options offered will be well over $2,000 more than one with no additional options.

And Last, you might find a used one were the seller is providing all the extra's that was purchased seperate from Casita, again this could be well over $1k or even $2k... for an example I was thinking about selling mine and if I did I was going to sell it with everything... I have an aftermarket microwave...a $900 honda genset... a prodigy brake controler... sway bar... dishes... carpet runner... upgraded bedding ... it goes on and on ... I have spent well over $2k just on the little stuff....

Oh and some people just don't want to wait for a new one... I purchased mine used because one popped up and when I went to look at it two other couples were there... lucky for me, I was the only one that remembered to bring money! biggrin.gif

Good luck.

#11 LindyW2

LindyW2
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,033 posts
  • Interests:Casita use and problems? I'm new at camping<br>Yard Work ATVing(Bombardier traxsterMax Xt 2 seater)<br>Yard saleing, Flea Markets Watch Fob Collecting ,US coin collecting, using computer <br>Target shooting Pistols and Rifles Shooting Range in back yard<br>I'm a retired Teamster (CF road Driver)
  • Casita Club Directory #:1387

Posted 01 May 2006 - 02:39 AM

Abundant

here is links to Standard and Deluxe

http://www.casitatra...ndardmodel.html

http://www.casitatra...eluxemodel.html
Lindy & Sharon CC #1387
Casita Freedom Deluxe + Mods (A Hillbilly's Heaven)
2006 GMC Envoy Denali (Big Bessy) 5.3L V8 3.42 Rear axle
Prodigy brake controller
My Pictures http://community.web...m/user/lindyw43

#12 newsalemer

newsalemer
  • Casita Club Member
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 10:32 PM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (abundant @ Apr 30 2006, 03:06 PM)
I am new to the Casita club.  I am hoping to buy one in the future, but not at this time.  I am trying to educate myself on how to price the used trailers.  I was surprised    to see that the used Casitas were priced generally higher than the brand new models at the showroom in Texas.  Is this because of extras generally added to the trailers by the owners?  The showroom prices are ones that were quoted to me over the phone by the salesperson who was on duty.

NADA has a recreational vehicle appraisal section on the internet it has a breakdown of all the casita models and options on used casitas, it will at least give you a track to run on, I purchased my 2001 casita spirit deluxe using the Nada guide.

Jack

#13 abundant

abundant
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:04 AM

What is the website address for the NADA appraisal of rec vehicles?

QUOTE (newsalemer @ May 1 2006, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE (abundant @ Apr 30 2006, 03:06 PM)
I am new to the Casita club.  I am hoping to buy one in the future, but not at this time.  I am trying to educate myself on how to price the used trailers.  I was surprised    to see that the used Casitas were priced generally higher than the brand new models at the showroom in Texas.  Is this because of extras generally added to the trailers by the owners?  The showroom prices are ones that were quoted to me over the phone by the salesperson who was on duty.

NADA has a recreational vehicle appraisal section on the internet it has a breakdown of all the casita models and options on used casitas, it will at least give you a track to run on, I purchased my 2001 casita spirit deluxe using the Nada guide.

Jack

#14 The Kellys

The Kellys
  • Casita Club Member
  • 149 posts
  • Casita Club Directory #:1500

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:51 AM

www.nadaguides.com

to find values for cars, trucks and recreational vehicles, etc

My Dad used to say anything was worth what a willing seller would sell for, that a willing buyer would pay. So I don't know that going by any guides like NADA is more accurate than just watching the classifieds - which ones (and at what price) seem to be listed the longest, which ones are snatched up right away. You get a pretty fair idea that way of what they're going for.

good luck finding the "just right for you" Casita!
Steve and Jane #1500
2005 17' SD--"Prairie Pearl"
2006 Silverado 5.3 V-8
Central Kansas