1 reply to this topic

#1 Steve, Julie & Michael 1024

Steve, Julie & Michael 1024
  • Casita Club Member
  • 96 posts
  • Local time: 06:21 AM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1024

Posted 27 November 2003 - 07:15 PM

OK, I know that using RV antifreeze in your hot water heater is bad for your anode rod, but is that all?

I mean if anti freeze gets in there can the only thing it hurts is the anode rod? If not what else can be hurt from antifreeze?

Steve, Julie & Michael # 1024
2000 16' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Connecticut

#2 Patrick and Bettye

Patrick and Bettye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 690 posts
  • Local time: 08:21 AM
  • Interests:Family. My wife, Bettye, our three grown children, our 5 grandchildren, our yorkshire terrier, Toto. <br><br>Travel for work and for fun, playing drums (not Bettye's favorite) and some outdoor sports: camping, fishing, competition shooting and reloading (I don't normally hunt for bloodsport, but I'm interested in boar hunting). <br><br>Writing, photography, chess, reading...a healthy debate. <br>Life. Faith.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1361

Posted 27 November 2003 - 07:25 PM

Steve,
Here's a quote from the Suburban Manufacturing Company website:

If your water heater plumbing system is equipped with a bypass kit, use it to close off the water heater. Drain the water heater completely and leave it closed off (out of the system) in the bypass position, particularly if you are introducing antifreeze into the plumbing system. Antifreeze can be very corrosive to the anode rod. The result will be accelerated deterioration of the rod and heavy sediment in the tank. If the plumbing system is not equipped with a bypass kit and you intend to winterize by adding antifreeze into the system, remove the anode rod (storing it for the winter) and replace it with a 3/4" drain plug.

And here's a link to their Q&A portion of the site:
Suburban Website

Hope this helps.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Patrick
Patrick and Bettye Miller
and Toto, the traveling wonder dog!
'04 17' SD 'Eggy-boy' #1361

On the Western slope...
OK...so I only thought Cheaha was a mountain!