• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RichS

RichS
  • Casita Club Member
  • 200 posts
  • Local time: 09:58 AM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 01:59 PM

Well, my picture download software isn't working currently so here is a drawing depicting a cross sectional view of the driveway incline in question.
As you can/may see, the incline is as total of 38 inches high (3ft, 2in), and it spans 19 ft.
Obviously the part of concern is where the sidewalk meets the inclined driveway.
I have some digital photos but can't get them off the camera at the moment.
This is a followup to the posting of last week where I promised some pics.

Thanks,
Rich

Here is the original post:
"Question:
We don't have the trailer yet but, we would like to store it at a house that has a steep drveway. Basically, there is a driveway apron from the street, then a flat sidewalk, then a rather steep incline for about 15ft which then levels off. We barely get our cars up without bottoming out. I know a trailer won't make it normally. (I'll try and get a picture to attach later)
Is there a trick to doing this? Or, prehaps the better question is, can it be done without damaging the trailer? Would appreciate any ideas. Thanks! "

Attached Thumbnails

• Driveway2.jpg

Edited by RichS, 11 January 2006 - 04:19 PM.

Rich S & Deb G
2006 17' Libertry Deluxe
2001 Montero Sport

#2 Luckyman

Luckyman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 972 posts
  • Local time: 10:58 AM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 04:24 PM

Rich,

I'm no engineer or mathmetician................but it looks like you have 3' of rise in 20'. That's 15' in 100'. Isn't that considered a 15% grade? Are you sure you have anything which will pull a trailer up that kind of grade?

Maybe my numbers are all wrong. biggrin.gif
Life is like a roll of toilet paper............the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes.

Retirement is getting up in the morning with absolutely nothing to do, and going to bed at night with half of it done.

#3 RichS

RichS
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (Luckyman @ Jan 11 2006, 05:24 PM)
Rich,

I'm no engineer or mathmetician................but it looks like you have 3' of rise in 20'.  That's 15' in 100'.  Isn't that considered a 15% grade?  Are you sure you have anything which will pull a trailer up that kind of grade?

Maybe my numbers are all wrong. biggrin.gif

Well,.. it only has to go 19 ft then it planes of to a flat area. I believe my truck will push it for 19ft but I think the trailer rear bumper will hit the incline before the wheels do.
Rich S & Deb G
2006 17' Libertry Deluxe
2001 Montero Sport

#4 playared

playared
  • Casita Club Member
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:20 PM

RichS,
Just measured my driveway. Same configuration as yours. The 19 1/2 section is an incline of 28" on mine. I have a 2002 17' with the high lift axle. I back it into an offset carport using a 2002 Explorer and have never bottomed out. I will be moving the trailer out in a week or so and will measure the clearance as it moves over the incline. Maybe from that you can get ideas about your clearance. I have towed the trailer up some very steep short grades and I'm sure in reverse the Explorer would back the trailer up your incline.

#5 Ron and Bernice - Florida

Ron and Bernice - Florida
  • Casita Club Member
  • 855 posts
  • Local time: 11:58 AM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:26 PM

I think that it may not be as bad to back in as you would think.

The tow vehicle is going to still be on the road, which is lower than the sidewalk, when the trailer wheels are on the sidewalk and start up the driveway. This will cause the tongue to be lower and the rear of the trailer to be higher, which should help.

Depending on how much of a crown the road has, you may have to put something down at the bottom of the apron until the trailer wheels get up on the side walk, to prevent the rear bumper from hitting the driveway.

Once up on the sidewalk you may be OK.

Then you need to remove the blocks if the tow vehicle won't drag to help keep the rear wheels low.

You might have to have something in the area where the sidewalk and driveway meets to get the trailer wheels up on the drive way and prevent the tow vehicle from dragging at that point. I suggest that you move what ever you had on the road to that area.

Once again remove the blocks if the tow vehicle won't drag.

I think that it might work without doing anything or with just a little help.

If this doesn't work then you may have to build a couple of bridges to get in the driveway.

#6 Ron and Bernice - Florida

• Casita Club Member
  • 855 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:32 PM

By the way a 15 degree incline is what is used for boat ramps at National Forrest Lake access.

Ron

#7 RichS

RichS
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (Ron and Bernice - Florida @ Jan 11 2006, 06:26 PM)
Then you need to remove the blocks if the tow vehicle won't drag to help keep the rear wheels low.

Once again remove the blocks if the tow vehicle won't drag.

If this doesn't work then you may have to build a couple of bridges to get in the driveway.

Ron,
1) what do you mean by "if the tow vehicle won't drag?"
2) Where are the blocks?
3) By the way,.. unfortunately,.. I have thought of the bridge Idea. It gave me a nightmare!

Thanks,
Rich
Rich S & Deb G
2006 17' Libertry Deluxe
2001 Montero Sport

#8 Ron and Bernice - Florida

• Casita Club Member
  • 855 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:58 PM

It would have been better if I had said, some boards layed down in the low place at the road and the edge of the sidewalk next to the driveway. Something to back up over that would raise the wheels up a few inches.

I don't know how much clearance your tow vehicle has between the hitch and the driveway when you back in without the trailer hooked up, but it will be lower when it is attached. Back your tow vehicle in so that your rear tires are sitting at the lowest points at the edge of the road and next where the driveway meets the sidewalk. Check and see how much clearance that you have now, at each location, with the hitch ball on. My Ford Sport Trac or Toyota Land Cruiser would go down a couple of inches when the trailer was added. So you may drag if you don't have very much clearance now.

Don't think so much of them as bridges, but just wide areas built up with some scrap lumber. With maybe some sort of plywood or chip board on top.

Ron

Edited by Ron and Bernice - Florida, 11 January 2006 - 07:02 PM.

#9 cdsmith

cdsmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:23 PM

I had a neighbor with a RV that dragged on his driveway when he backed up the driveway incline. He used landscape logs to bridge the street to driveway apron and then repositioned them on the sidewalk to keep from dragging on the driveway.
Joyce and Charlie Smith, Princess Lily, Rose, and Violet - Grand Prairie, TX
RV: 1999 SD "The Little Egg"
TV: 2007 Escalade 2WD 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
Brake Control: Dexter Predator DX-2

#10 RichS

RichS
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (cdsmith @ Jan 11 2006, 09:23 PM)
I had a neighbor with a RV that dragged on his driveway when he backed up the driveway incline. He used landscape logs to bridge the street to driveway apron and then repositioned them on the sidewalk to keep from dragging on the driveway.

How do you keep the landscape logs in place without them skidding out from under the tires?
Rich S & Deb G
2006 17' Libertry Deluxe
2001 Montero Sport

#11 cdsmith

cdsmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:00 PM

He tapered the ends, laid two side by side and nailed them together with 1" X 2" X 1' wood strips. He constructed two of them, one for the left side and one for the right.
Joyce and Charlie Smith, Princess Lily, Rose, and Violet - Grand Prairie, TX
RV: 1999 SD "The Little Egg"
TV: 2007 Escalade 2WD 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
Brake Control: Dexter Predator DX-2

#12 jallenaz

jallenaz
  • Casita Club Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:04 PM

From my experience with problems like this, you are probably worrying about it a lot more than you need to. My theory is that if you see the problem ahead of time, and worry about it enough, everything will be ok. If you didn't see the possible problem and worry about it, it would be a problem. It sounds like you'll be ok.

Let me know if I'm wrong though wink.gif

Jim