• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joelzmama

joelzmama
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 02:34 AM

Posted 05 June 2005 - 01:53 PM

Will a 2005 Subaru Forester tow a 16' Casita? We will be towing from Oregon through Idaho into Wyoming. Will altitude and/or hills be issues? Since the Casita is lightweight do we need to worry about the sometimes brisk prairie winds? Thanks.
Joelzmama

Edited by joelzmama, 05 June 2005 - 01:54 PM.

#2 Jay herb

Jay herb
  • Casita Club Member
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 02:45 PM

HI! Joe and welcome ,
you may need to post your question in the Casita Club Forum under the Forum Topics.
I think that some people tow with Subaru's and someone Will get back to you, so keeping checking back. Jay
Julien, aka ( Jay Herb )
So. Oregon
2002 Casita 17' SD

#3 Ricochet

Ricochet
  • Casita Club Member
  • 100 posts
  • Local time: 03:34 AM

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:29 PM

Joel, I spose to answer your immediate question...YES your Subaru Forester WILL tow a 16' Casita BUT I certainly wouldn't recommend it. I believe in the long run you will be overweight (for the Forester) and underpowered. You will be disappointed overall. You'll need a beefed up suspension, tranny cooler, modified receiver hitch and I believe it will void the AWD feature of that otherwise great car.
I'd check with Subaru first and I've got a good idea what they'll tell you.
Robb & Mary
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe (The Loon Inn)
2001 Dodge Dakota (287 ci V-8)
Northern Minnesota

#4 John and Nancy Hamilton

John and Nancy Hamilton
  • Casita Club Member
  • 433 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 05:13 PM

I have a personal friend who tows a 16' Scamp over some pretty nasty roads as well as highways at speeds that I wouldn't drive with an Outback. Seems to do quite well.
John and Nancy Hamilton  
Junction City, Oregon