Honda eu2000i Generator re-jetting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sally&bill

sally&bill
  • Casita Club Member
  • 72 posts
  • Local time: 10:22 PM
  • Interests:We enjoy day hiking, swimming, sailing, kayaking, snorkeling, canoeing, touring North America, reading, and spending time with our 5 children and our large extended families. We would like to hike in all the beautiful national parks in North America. We have worked as campground hosts in Yellowstone National Park. We have also participated in Habitat RV Care-A-Vanner builds.

Posted 24 December 2004 - 01:33 PM

We will be camping at both high and low altitudes this summer. I have the two other jets with the generator, but no instructions. I would like to be prepared for the change. Would someone please give me directions on how to change the jets. I have seen a lot of discussion on this subject, but no "how to".

Also I believe that I read that the hot water heater needed rejeting. Do the refrig and furnace also require changes?

Thanks for any help.
Sally & Bill
Buford, GA
"Rita" 2004 17SD Casita
'08 Tahoe

#2 pseabolt

pseabolt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,647 posts
  • Local time: 01:22 AM
  • Interests:Fishing, Hiking, Boating, Amateur Radio, Computers

Posted 24 December 2004 - 02:05 PM

You can download the operator manual form:

http://www.hondapowe...n_Web/g_own.htm

It says to take it to a dealer of you will always be operating above 5000 feet. I think it is more for emission control than anything else. The generator is still going to loose about 3.5% horsepower. You can order an service manual for $35 from

http://www.helminc.c...gory=1&posted=1

This manual will give you step by step but after you change a jet you have to readjust the carburetor. Not sure if carburetor adjustment is an art or skill but if you have not had experience with adjusting small engines I think you will get better performance if you just leave it alone.
Pete & Dee
N4KHQ & N4KHO
2004 Casita SD 17'
Home Page
Posted Image

#3 langier

langier
  • Casita Club Member
  • 85 posts
  • Local time: 09:22 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1245

Posted 24 December 2004 - 02:26 PM

You are probably OK leaving everything alone.

I've traveled with the Casita and Honda 2000 extensively above 5,000 feet. The main problem you wil have at high altitude is your shortness of breath, not usually problems with your generator or other appliances.

The main reason to change the jetting would be if you were to *always* operated the device above a certain altitude. If you are going to operated for an extensive time (months or years) at altitude, then I would consider changing them according to the manufacturers' recomendation.

Because there is less oxigen as you increase in altitude, you loose horsepower, at least 5% per thousand feet, thus things will not be as efficient. Same for your gas appliances. Everything seems to require more effort to do as at sea level.
Larry Angier & Carolyn Fox
No. 1245, Third-hand FD 17 with the newer Third-hand 4Runner (old one stolen!) Crossing the High Sierra at the break-neck speed now 35 mph!
http://www.angier-fox.com

#4 Don in OKC

Don in OKC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,533 posts
  • Local time: 12:22 AM

Posted 24 December 2004 - 07:57 PM

I've run the EU2000 at 8,000ft, it was probably running rich, but it'd run. I've run dirt bikes in the mountains and they'd run rich (altitude being 8,000 to 13,000ft), foul plugs, and loose power if not re-jetted (from Oklahoma to Colorado).

===

If you can do a tune-up on your lawn mower, you can change the main jet on the EU2000. Basically, remove the carburetor, remove the float bowl. Be careful with the little pin holding the float and needle. Turn the carb upside down and the main jet will be right there lookin atcha. I think all ya need is a flat screwdriver, 8mm and 10mm open end wrench.

Better instructions would tell ya to drain the carburetor first, guess you can tell what kind of mechanic I am. <_<

Next time ya do it, it should be a ten minute job.

It'd be a good idea to remove the spark plug after running it an hour or so and check to see if it's a nice tan color. White, too lean, black, too rich. Lean is harder on the motor.

Added note: Good idea to re-install the spark plug by hand til you feel the threads engage. Then put a wrench on it. Cross threading an aluminum head can ruin your day.

Perhaps 're-jetting' isn't good for all folks, just those who have an 'oily thumb'. ;)

Edited by Don in OKC, 25 December 2004 - 11:05 AM.

Don in OKC - (Useta have a) 2000 16' LD, 98 Chrysler T&C

#5 Centex

Centex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 204 posts
  • Local time: 12:22 AM

Posted 24 December 2004 - 11:07 PM

I'm new to the RV but have been tuning carbs on all sorts of motorcycles, generators, welders, chainsaws, etc for 40 years - would like to reinforce a couple of things already said .....

-Unless you stay at altitude for three + months, the rejet is not worth the minor hassle;

-Running rich (that's what will happen when you go to altitude with standard jetting) will not endanger your engine and will likely not meaningfully affect what you see at the end of the power cord given the EU 2000's great inverter technology;

-Running lean (that's what will happen if you rejet for altitude then don't rejet immediatly when you lose altitude) for even a SHORT period of time will increase engine heat and could quickly lead to engine damage; Too rich is the much preferred direction to err!

-If you need any better instructions than those provided by Don in OKC, you probaly haven't messed about with carbs - do yourself a favor and don't mess with your carb, even with manual in hand, until you can get a willing shop or qualified friend to take you through the procedure hands on; you can easily cause much more damage than you will gain from the re-jet (most common is stripping threads in the carb body by overzealous tightening of steel screws in alloy carb parts or not recognizing damaged / displaced gaskets and o-rings which can lead to fuel leaks and FIRE).

-If, after long running at altitude without the re-jet, you experience hard starting of the generator, pull the sparkplug and clean the black buildup that is the result of rich running, re-gap and reinstall; do not put oil on the plug threads and do not overtighten - you can strip the sparkplug thread in the alloy head amazingly easily; do clean the threads and use a small amount of anti-sieze compound made for this purpose on the sparkplug threads - get it at any auto parts store, a tube in your maintenance kit will last forever.

Please pardon the long / strong post - you can do much more harm than you gain from the re-jet if you don't know what you are doing and we don't want that to happen; the EU2000 is a very reliable and tolerant design - change oil as recommended, run it and enjoy it.

On the LPG (external combustion) stove, water heater and reefer flames ...

- First put a scratch mark across the manifold air adjustment piece of each item so you can easily get 'back to where you started' when needed

- Second, study and familiarize yourself with what each flame looks like at your normal home altitude (assuming all are adjusted reasonably well to start with - if not adjust them at home altitude first)

- then adjust per the owner's manual for each item to get the flame as much as possible like it looks at home altitude; these items are much safer to adjust - lean or rich errors will result in low efficiency and/or soot buildup but will not be at all likely to cause any damage to anything like a too lean engine carb (and, you are not dealing with alloy parts that are easy to expensively damage with a 'too-strong' hand)

Have a Great trip!!
Alan in Central Texas
'05 LD 17
'05 F-150 5.4 Ext Cab

#6 sally&bill

sally&bill
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 72 posts
  • Local time: 10:22 PM
  • Interests:We enjoy day hiking, swimming, sailing, kayaking, snorkeling, canoeing, touring North America, reading, and spending time with our 5 children and our large extended families. We would like to hike in all the beautiful national parks in North America. We have worked as campground hosts in Yellowstone National Park. We have also participated in Habitat RV Care-A-Vanner builds.

Posted 25 December 2004 - 05:06 AM

Very informative posts. Thanks for the time and knowledge that you have all shared.

Bill
Sally & Bill
Buford, GA
"Rita" 2004 17SD Casita
'08 Tahoe

#7 hotrodharv

hotrodharv
  • Casita Club Member
  • 93 posts
  • Local time: 09:22 PM
  • Interests:Street Rods, Camping, Touring the country in our Casita<br>and going to Carshows with our 36 Chevrolet Streetrod.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1187

Posted 25 December 2004 - 08:53 AM

;)

Oh NO We live at 6500 ft. I have never worried about changing the jetting on the generator. A little rich will not damage your generator. When we travel down elevation i re jet the streetrod carb if we are going to tavel extensively below 1000ft. If not i don't worry about it. <_<

Even if you re-jet your generator it will not run up spec. because there is not enough oxygen up here .

Harv in Colo.