• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,396 posts
  • Local time: 07:37 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:28 PM

I have a five year old Lifeline AGM Group 27 in my Casita. I had a PD4600 converter replacement unit, with the Charge Wizard, installed in 2012.  And I have a 100W solar panel on the roof,  connected to the battery. I've been stationary with E hookup for a year on account of the pandemic. Yesterday I opened the little battery access door for the first time in several years and found this, see photo.

Question - what is it and what may have caused this condition?   I'm tempted to replace the five year old battery with another AGM but it would be nice to learn first how to eliminate any potential fault.  Euphoria, you're an expert, what do you make of it?

IMG_0582.JPG

Dutchman

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#2 Bubba

Bubba
  • Casita Club Member
  • 499 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 02:21 AM

I’ve been told and according to Mr. Google “ Battery corrosion is caused by hydrogen gas being released from the sulfuric acid inside the battery. As the gasses react to the ambient atmosphere, it begins to produce a corrosive environment. If battery corrosion is present on the positive battery terminal, this is a symptom of overcharging.”  I get this on my starting batteries on my tow vehicle.  This caused an even more serious problem in that the corrosion went onto the + battery cable offering resistance. Had to replace the + battery cable and as a precaution I replaced the starting battery.  Since the I’ve been putting these link to felt washers on the terminals.  Corrosion has not reappeared for over 2 years.

Bubba (Member 1527)
N 30.053633
W-95.230900
Altitude 69 ft
2010 Tundra Double Cab 8' bed
17' Casita a.k.a.Omelet
post-1045-1281522225_thumb.jpg

#3 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 778 posts
  • Local time: 09:37 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 02 April 2021 - 06:01 AM

Sounds like Bubba is the expert! That corrosion can be cleaned off with baking soda and water, or even a Coca-Cola. Although you may prefer to let the baking soda do the work and enjoy the ice cold Coke! A visit to your local auto parts store might provide you with additional information, ideas, and solutions. Best of luck!

Toddy 

#4 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 442 posts
  • Local time: 10:37 PM
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 02 April 2021 - 06:50 AM

While I'm sure there can be other reasons for the corrosion, the most common one with AGM batteries is the loss of the seal around the battery post.  Contact Lifeline - they may have some suggestions...

#5 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,335 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 02 April 2021 - 07:00 AM

Sorry to hear of your battery problems Dutchman,

From your picture it definitely, (to me anyway,) it appears to have been "gassing."

Think back over the life of these batteries of any unusual situations that may have occurred:
-Ever been overcharged?
-Have you had any problems with your electrical Inverter/Charger/Alternator?
-Did you program the charger for the Lifeline's?
-Have you equalized the batteries recently, or do you perform this frequently?
-Don't discount weather-related activity, any extreme highs or lows of ambient temperatures that the batteries may have been exposed to?
-Are they outgassing excessively? It appears that the seals for the posts may have failed, which would be a warranty issue, and this is assuming there was no existing "crud" on the cables from before you installed the battery.

-Have you verified that the charging voltages are correct, per the data sheet.

I would give Lifeline a call and speak to their service rep about it. There were a batch of defective batteries produced a while back which did get out, and Lifeline made good on many replacements to owners who had gotten bad batteries. Not sure if yours are in that lot, but it wouldn't hurt to check with them and let them help you determine what's going on. They have a great customer service reputation, so you may be able to get some resolution from them on your leakage.

I've personally seen two year old Lifeline's that were bulging, due to improper programming of the charger by the installer. And, I've also seen many other non-Lifeline batteries that were scary to look at - also from unusual conditions or mistakes made in charger adjustments.

Here's some contact info on Lifeline. I definitely would give them a call, and make sure you save a picture to show them of the corrosion. I wouldn't clean them until after I called them about it.

Lifeline Batteries Inc.

292 E Arrow Highway
San Dimas, CA 91773

Mailing Address
PO Box 637
San Dimas, CA 91773

Phone: (909) 599-7816
Fax: (909) 599-0596

Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday 7:30am to 4:00 pm Pacific Time

And I'm not saying you've done anything wrong, and for sure it could be a defective group of batteries. Please come back and close the loop when you figure out what's going on.

Edited by Euphoria, 02 April 2021 - 07:03 AM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#6 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,394 posts
  • Local time: 06:37 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 02 April 2021 - 09:43 AM

Are the felt washers installed FIRST, then the battery clamp?

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#7 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,335 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 02 April 2021 - 11:59 AM

Are the felt washers installed FIRST, then the battery clamp?

If you intend to install those treated anti-corrosion felt washers on the battery posts, place them on first, all the way down to the top of the battery, and then attach your battery leads as normal.

• Meadowlark likes this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#8 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,396 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 02 April 2021 - 01:21 PM

Thanks all for the good information. Things to work on and check out.  Euphoria, appreciate the contacts.

Dutchman

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !