• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,394 posts
  • Local time: 07:05 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 25 March 2021 - 06:16 PM

I was dinking around on the 'net and found a website called waymarking.com

In a nutshell, one finds something interesting about the area one is in, and 'reports' it on waymarking.com. They prefer LAT/LONG data, something most GPS units can provide, but will take 'near' directions. For instance, I learned that in my little burg, there's a wayside highway marker that denotes where an Army outpost used to be, long before WA was a state. One can waymark just about anything...I found things like where is the Starbucks in where the heck am I Timbuktu (because it's world wide, I suspect). One can waymark trees, for instance there's a gigantic English Oak on the campus of WA States capitol, and she's waymarked. And beautiful, it's the largest English Oak in the US.

I can see myself using it when we're camping somewhere and want to investigate the surroundings. We don't party, or drink, or gamble, we don't usually eat out when we're camping, and we like to do things outdoors...so I think I'll be using it to see what is in the vicinity of the campground.

I'd even bet that waymark even has a forum for campgrounds.

Make sure you enter waymarking, not waymark. I learned that the 'hard' way...

Edited by Meadowlark, 25 March 2021 - 06:19 PM.

• Carol Christensen and Jerrybob like this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#2 West Texan

West Texan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Local time: 10:05 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2020 17’ Freedom Deluxe
  • Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 25 March 2021 - 07:32 PM

If you come to Texas, stop at a travel center and ask for a book/magazine that list all of the towns/cites and what attractions are in the area. I enjoy checking mine out, when traveling by motorcycle/truck and even staying in motels there in the area.

#3 cottons

cottons
  • Casita Club Member
  • 86 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Independence
  • Trailer Name:Trailer

Posted 26 March 2021 - 06:22 AM

Thanks.  Bookmarked.  Neato is a good descriptor.

Edited by cottons, 26 March 2021 - 06:22 AM.

#4 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,617 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 29 March 2021 - 04:43 PM

Wow! ten pages of waypoints near our town of 2400 people and county of 8000. I used the only zip code in the county 76043

There is a Texas phone app that tells you about all of the historical markers along the highways

Another I have used is Roadside America, it lists a lot of odd and mostly interesting places to stop, some are interesting to visit for an hour or less and some might be where you would want to spend a 1/2 day or longer. I used it when my son was a little kid to give us places to stretch our legs and see something interesting. He remembers Cadillac Ranch as much as he did the Grand Canyon.

Edited by clover, 29 March 2021 - 04:48 PM.

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)