• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 778 posts
  • Local time: 08:33 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 21 March 2021 - 06:45 PM

If anyone is looking for a low cost portable electric generator, Costco has a Firman 2000W/1600W inverter generator on sale for $350 through April 4th.

Toddy

IMG_1359.jpg

#2 West Texan

West Texan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2020 17’ Freedom Deluxe
  • Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 22 March 2021 - 02:31 AM

Dont know the brand, but the price is affordable over my Honda 2000s $800 price tag.
I need to find me a Costco and go browsing through it! I have never been in one.

#3 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,335 posts
  • Local time: 06:33 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 22 March 2021 - 04:38 AM

Well. I don't think I really need a fourth portable generator, but it doesn't sound like a bad price. Just never heard of it, so there's really not much of a "track record" of how well it will perform or hold up in the long haul. The Honda's have an extensive record of dependability. I guess time will tell. I just don't feel like being a guinea pig.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#4 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 778 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 22 March 2021 - 05:49 AM

I own an Champion generator and am very pleased with its performance, but a simple internet search to the Firman website produced the following information. Here is their web address should anyone care to read more. https://www.firmanpo...nt.com/about-2/. They are headquartered in Peoria, AZ and sell their equipment at Costco, Northern Tool Company, and Lowes to name a few.

About

As a wholly-owned subsidiary of the $108 Billion dollar per year company Sinomach, we have produced over 10 million portable generators over the past 17 years for the worldwide market. For years we have built private label generators for companies such as Ridgid, Kohler and many others! In 2015 we made the decision to bring our manufacturing expertise to North America directly under the FIRMAN brand.

We currently operate four generator manufacturing facilities and have the ability to produce over 3,000 generators PER DAY! Being the manufacturer means we are vertically integrated. That’s a fancy way of saying that every FIRMAN generator is 100% FIRMAN from concept to design to engineering to manufacturing and production. When you take a good look at a FIRMAN gen you will see that it’s all FIRMAN including our Automatic voltage regulator, carburetor, FIRMAN Fat Head Engine Block, FIRMAN Power Stream Alternator, Air Cleaner, Valve Cover and even the muffler guard.

All of this testing leads to constant innovation. We feel that it’s not enough to be “as-good” as the competition, so we strive to be better in every way that matters to our customers. After conducting extensive research into what our customers really want in a portable generator our conclusions were no surprise. Our findings indicated people want more power, bigger fuel tanks, longer run times and excellent customer support.

Toddy

#5 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,394 posts
  • Local time: 05:33 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 22 March 2021 - 06:48 AM

Interesting. I don't have a portable, as I really don't care to take a generator camping. But I've had two big ones, a 5K Generac, which I gave away to a friend,  and now a 5K Honda. Of the two, the Honda is far better. It's quieter, easy to work on, and best of all, it has a "cheater button"..electric start. The Generac was always a witch  to pull start, and now, I'm old, my shoulders are shot and I'm just not interested in going out in the middle of the night to pull start a cranky generator after the power's gone out.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#6 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,394 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 22 March 2021 - 06:56 AM

WT, Costco is pretty much a gigantic warehouse, full of all sorts of stuff in big lots. My husband bought his hearing aids there...the battery powered ones were at least $1000 less at Costco and the support (adjusting them, etc) excellent. I'm told you can get the vaccine there, now.

The one near me sells meat, baked goods, some produce (like a case of oranges), etc.

Costco sells in big lots. You won't find a small item, like a pack of gum...you buy a case of it. I THINK...I've never smoked...I think you can buy cigarettes there at Reservation prices but I don't know for sure.

I suppose you could call it a prepper's paradise. Even so, they get some good deals. They sell tires and install them. Gasoline...I'm told it's not very GOOD gasoline but they do have a station and it's usually about 10 cents below the big companies.

You don't have to be a member to shop there, but a non member doesn't get the 5% discount. A year's membership is about $68.

#7 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,373 posts
  • Local time: 06:33 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 22 March 2021 - 08:38 AM

We're big Cosco fans.....we go to one in Warrenton Oregon.  Like Meadowlark's husband....I got my hearing aids there...my cost....$1500.....same units at local shops....$5,000.......Cosco has great meat but packages are big....we divide it up when home and freeze.....I buy beer there as well....great selection.....much less expensive than local markets......have bought many sets of tires over the years......watch for their sales...you can't beat their prices.....mower and car batteries as well......as for their gas......nothing wrong with it except they don't sell 89 oct....just 87 and 92.....been using their fuel for years.....the truck that delivers Cosco gas in Warrenton also goes down the street and fills Chevron and 76......you just pay more down the road.....unfortunately......my new Ram takes 89.....we fill her up at Fred Myers......Cosco also has a great selection of TV's if you're shopping for one......we also get our interpretive boards for the museum at Cosco.....we use to pay $300 for them....now we pay about $75......good store.....worth the membership if you shop there throughout the year.  BTW....I have a buddy that has the Firman generator Toddy mentions.....he loves it for camping and for his construction business....the generator is made in China but has high reviews. 

#8 West Texan

West Texan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2020 17’ Freedom Deluxe
  • Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 22 March 2021 - 12:00 PM

Costco sounds like a Sams (Super Walmart affiliate that sells in bulk.)

#9 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,394 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 04:29 PM

I've never been in a Sam's Club (?) but you're probably right, it's the same sort of thing.

#10 friz

friz
  • Casita Club Member
  • 784 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' LD

Posted 22 March 2021 - 05:38 PM

The AC in a Casita 17 will push a 2000 watt generator to it's limits. 

Sam's club has the A1 Power 2300w which starts the Casita AC without blinking the overload light. They put it on sale occasionally.  I have one.  It replaced a Harbor Freight 2000 that was marginal.